Studying for Maths (1 Viewer)

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Since exams are the only form of assessment in maths, I think the most important thing you need to master is exam technique - you need to develop speed but maintain accuracy.

Also, knowing how long you should spend trying to nut out a question before leaving it and moving on is important too - I wouldn't spend any more than about a minute looking at a question if I had absolutely no idea where to go with it.

And of course, I can't overemphasise the need to practise!!!!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hm for people just commencing HSC Year, don't get too stressed about timing. Obviously it is an important tool to killing Extension 1, but what use is it, if you're rushing things and costing your marks.

I'd rather walk out of an exam knowing that I've answered say 7 out of the 10 Math questions correctly, than rush the whole exam and not knowing how many questions you got correct.

Although maths is a funny subject where teachers award you marks despite your wrong final answer or wrong interpretation of statistics, you shouldn't be deterred into timing.

Trial Exams + placing yourself under exam conditions while doing past papers are excellent ways to tackle the HSC exams itself.

Practicing is vital, but if you're doing a whole heap of questions but not getting it right, then get your tutor to help you solve questions you're not sure about. Don't rely on Government Paid teachers to answer your questions, sometimes they don't really understand which foundation of mathematics are you weak on.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
3 is the most important

i reckon coroneos is the best book for self-learning. so if you dont manage to do first 2 steps, a few weeks away from trials, get the coroneos textbook. it has superb explanations, and examples of every type of question for that topic that could be asked. well, just about. so yeah, coroneos textbook + past papers = win

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I can barely read the text of Coroneous, but yes, it has great questions that challenge you in different sorts of ways.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Past papers help a shitload, I've done the 2006 yearly prelim paper , and got 89%, without stupid mistakes, i could have gotten 96%. it's a good indicator of your stupid mistakes.

salco

wooop!
HSC
tommykins said:
Past papers help a shitload, I've done the 2006 yearly prelim paper , and got 89%, without stupid mistakes, i could have gotten 96%. it's a good indicator of your stupid mistakes.
lol stupid mistakes... according to my trial answers 6 + 10 = 3

beentherdunthat

HSC
withoutaface said:
1. Pay attention in class. As it is being explained try to understand it. If you don't understand it ask questions, that's what your teacher is there for.

2. Read through the material again when you get home, then do questions from the textbook. If you can't do a question bring it in to class the next day, and get the teacher to explain it to you, or post it on BOS. You only need one textbook, because these questions are just to help you understand the material, not to provide practice.

3. The most important step: do past papers. I cannot stress this enough. Do every past paper you can get your hands on. There are so many people who are extremely capable mathematicians who fall down on exam technique, and/or silly errors. Myself I did 60ish past papers for each 3u and 4u, and boosted my ranking from 15th to 2nd in a class of 17.

While most of this should be stating the obvious, hopefully it will avoid future threads asking how to study.
:( NOW you tell me?

You should add 1) Turn up to class :D

be-LIE-ve

HSC
*emi* said:
thanks HEAPS for the tips - i really need to start doing practise papers. I always get soo annoyed doing them because i cant HAHA i feel a lot more comfortable writing notes for maths - anyone else write notes for maths?? I'm a big note writer lol so i try to write them for everything, but it does help to summarise what you learnt each week into a book with clear headings so you can study formulas/methods.
Does anyone else stick up formula around their bedroom hehe??

-em xx

Hahaha yes, i have post its on my mirrors and near my computer screen with formulae on them so i see them all the time! I'm like you - notes are soemthing i do A LOT.

At least if you summarise your notes, when you're doing practise Qs, you don't need to flip through your millions of pages of work to find the one thing you want to know, you have compressed information which also saves you time ;)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
be-LIE-ve said:
Hahaha yes, i have post its on my mirrors and near my computer screen with formulae on them so i see them all the time! I'm like you - notes are soemthing i do A LOT.

At least if you summarise your notes, when you're doing practise Qs, you don't need to flip through your millions of pages of work to find the one thing you want to know, you have compressed information which also saves you time ;)
LOL, i do this ALOT to, i have my whole wall with formulas all over it. And the amount of notes and stuff i do, i have all ready filled almost 2 of those A4 blue grid workbooks by doing notes and excersises. But i find Revision, Revision and more revision works, and also does the formulas on the wall. I will try doing the past pappers as well

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
2. Read through the material again when you get home, then do questions from the textbook. If you can't do a question bring it in to class the next day, and get the teacher to explain it to you, or post it on BOS. You only need one textbook, because these questions are just to help you understand the material, not to provide practice.
Hey, I never seem to be consistent in my math results. I study with four textbooks. So, is it better to study with only one?

eddydew

HSC
^ I focus on three unit and it makes 2 unit soo much easier!

If i didn't make so many stupid mistakes, i.e 12<11... I'd be fine!

is there any way to defeat stupid mistakes or not really?

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
the best way is to practice trials and test papers in test conditions over and over again. in maths (particularly hsc 3U) it is about practice and practice and... and practice.. well you get the point.

FebruaryAir

HSC
... 3. The most important step: do past papers. I cannot stress this enough. Do every past paper you can get your hands on. There are so many people who are extremely capable mathematicians who fall down on exam technique, and/or silly errors. Myself I did 60ish past papers for each 3u and 4u, and boosted my ranking from 15th to 2nd in a class of 17...
Is it possible to get past paper books? Like, a textbook, but full of past papers?

cookiem0nster

HSC
Re: Study!

what books would you recommend? i have a couple different books yet they don't seem to work for me so i was wondering if there were any particular books....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)