Studying for Japanese continuers (1 Viewer)

nrom

HSC
I'm wondering how I could improve for Japanese continuers, especially for listening, since I've struggled in that section during prelims since I don't get many opportunities to practice listening.

I was thinking of getting a study buddy of sorts to practice Japanese with since first hand experience works best for me so if anyone is up for exchanging messages in japanese till hsc comes around I wouldn't mind, but any other methods for studying Japanese would be appreciated too!

dunnoyeah

HSC
Didn't do Japanese but I think the same sort of advice applies to all modern language courses.

Just immerse yourself in the sound of the language as much as you can. You don't have to always be doing listening papers to improve this skill. You could be listening to Japanese podcasts on your way to school, watching street interview videos (people like 'that japanese man yuta'), watching movies etc. If you do this consistently, and really try to pick up as much of what you can, doing listening papers later on will come a lot more naturally. I went from getting 17-18/25 on my listening to 22-23 over a couple of months by implementing this strategy

As you mentioned, having a study buddy works too. Ideally, it should be a conversation buddy since I feel that listening is a skill that requires you to think on your feet. As such, if you're only communicating through written messages, then you're not really training that part of your brain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)