Studying for HSC Economics (1 Viewer)

wildtiger

HSC
Hi, I'm not too sure how we're supposed to study for this subject. I've heard that obviously reading the textbook isn't enough, so I try to scan through the newspaper as well. SMH articles are usually not THAT helpful though - i mean, i read about the theory and the articles provide a real-life example of what the textbook says... ok. so what? how can I use what I read in my assessments/exams? :(

What else can I do to help me prepare for economics exams?

Lainee

HSC
You're right by reading up on current issues as well, and it'll be easier if you cut out relevant articles and organise them into sections according to the syllabus - it's a bit more work, but it makes it ALOT easier when you come back to study and have all the relevant articles in front of you. At our school, we actually have to hand in a portfolio that has everything we collected during the year arranged logically. But even if yours doesn't, it's a good habit to pick up.

You asked how you can use what you've collected in your exams. For one thing, newspapers and other sources provide very recent statistics that are probably more useful than the ones in your textbook. There's nothing more annoying than getting statistics from 2000-2001 when there's more recent stuff avaliable. Second, adopt the recent events into an essay/assignment if relevant - and again, organising articles into syllabus dotpoints makes it alot more convinient. For example, in an essay about exchange rates, you can explain the influences upon it (purely textbook) and then chuck in how our dollar has been appreciating because of some weakness in the US dollar etc.

SMH has the odd article that can be very helpful, but try getting your hands on the Financial Review as well.

Our school also gives us copies of something called 'Plain English Economics' which is a monthly bulletin that summarises key economic events during that month. From there, I usually do a search to find more detailed articles.

Hope some of this helps!

Lainee

HSC
Speaking of articles - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/08/1073437412930.html

Good article to file away if you're interested. :) I've put it away under 'the international business cycle' - being that monetary policy conditions in individual economies are influenced by interest rate changes in other countries and strengthens the international business cycle. It makes sense for me, by my system of categorising. :p

AGB

HSC
one thing that is also pretty important is past statistics i.e. the trends. if you are asked to explain/analyse/evaluate/discuss the impact of something on the economy, then you will most definitely need to demonstrate the trend i.e. the 'before' and the 'after', and in order to do that, you must have stats that say something to the effect of 'X has been increasing over the past 12 years at 10% p.a." etc etc

i guess what im trying to say here is dont just focus on the most recent stats coz 'older' (and i use the word cautiously) stats are also very valuable. some of this sort of stuff can be found in textbooks.... if not, then this is where the constant reading of articles comes in, because there will usually be some small bit of info that you can get from them...

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
practice past papers and swap notes with ur friends from different schools

hope that helps

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
practice past papers and swap notes with ur friends from different schools

hope that helps
i agree with amoz_lilo....the BEST way to study is to do past papers then get your teacher to mark them....

however, this would be a bit hard given that most past papers cover the whole course, and you have probably done only one topic. but, if you are able to find questions that relate to the topic you have just done in other past papers, do them selectively and you will achieve the desired result :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
^i bet that was a sponsored message!

technically reading the textbook is enough
although their diction is really crappo
you dont wana use their simple words in an essay

to find those big chunky 15 letter words, read through some uni thesis thingys. even though you might not understand wtf is going on, they have a wealth of big fat psuedo-sophisticated words that make your essay sexy

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
you do need to know trends, eg. with inflation and exchange rates. the textbooks are good for that, but for current trends SMH is the best, also when the advice line opens before the hsc, they give you the most recent stats for heaps of things.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildtiger

HSC
thanks everyone for the tips!! they were very useful and I shall try to follow them....... although my lazier side screams "no!!!" at the "do past papers" tip ;D

thank u lainee for the for the SMH article!! i've printed it out and filed it in my "globalisation articles" section =)

eeyore

Make sure u read all the Ross Gittins articles in the SMH. I think he writes them 3 times a week
Check the RBA website frequently too.

yanananananana

= Token Asian =
HSC
Originally posted by Lainee
Our school also gives us copies of something called 'Plain English Economics' which is a monthly bulletin that summarises key economic events during that month. From there, I usually do a search to find more detailed articles.
where would i be able to get my hands on one of these monthly bulletins???

olay

HSC
ahhhhhhhhhh you're all scaring me !!!! O_O *bursts into a flood of tears* i'm gonna fail!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S is it really all that necessary to pedantically file away smh articles and such to get a stellar mark in eco??? i was hoping to just remember stats from the txtbks......and hoping that would suffice. O_O O_O

santaslayer

HSC
dont study any statistics until the fornight of the exam...eco teachers like to see up to date info

Lainee

HSC
Originally posted by yanananananana
where would i be able to get my hands on one of these monthly bulletins???
I'm really not sure, and my teacher seems reluctant to tell me. There's an email at the bottom to the company that produces it, I guess if you write to them and ask they might be able to tell you something - plainenglish@optusnet.com.au

Originally posted by santaslayer
dont study any statistics until the fornight of the exam...eco teachers like to see up to date info
And before your school assessments/trials. I heard that it was a good idea to ring the advice line before The Exam and ask them for the latest stats, as well.

Originally posted by wildtiger
what days does ross gittens write for SMH?
Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you go to state library, you can get older ones (good for the theory anyway) from the archives. What would we do without Gittens. :)

santaslayer

HSC
advice line is always good...i just got a few of my eco friends to ring up and i took their stats......lol

olay

HSC
O_O thats what the advice line does???????

wow. what else does it provide????????

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by olay
O_O thats what the advice line does???????

wow. what else does it provide????????
advice :p

isitjax

HSC
N/A
Ross Gittins writes quite well- a lot of his articles suggest that he might've been an economics teacher- he's always putting in examples and defines most of the 'economic terms' lol
matt wade also writes for the SMH- in the normal section- his articles are just boring figures, but quite useful- interest rates, unemployment, housing boom, cpi etc....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)