Studying for an "ugly" subject (1 Viewer)

d-alarmclock

HSC
Hi y'all. Everyone has their "ugly" subject, the one that you hate studying, usually the one you do worst in. I was just wondering how does everyone keep motivated to study for their ugly subject? For me, I'm finding 3 unit math to be my ugly subject (I do 4 units math :L). Don't get me wrong, once I understand the topic, I love it, but getting started is the problem. I can never bring myself to it.

So... How do you bring yourself to study for a subject you would rather not. And once you start, how do you keep yourself motivated throughout the week/term/year?

Thanks!

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
mine is english........i just hate how there's so much bs involved especially the teachers. i've yet to start "studying" (in this case writing notes/practice essays" for english but i'll probably force myself to study (i think i have quite strong willpower :D).

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
omg maths is beautiful, how dare you call it ugly :p

ugly subject: english fucking advanced so over it. don't want to start it, don't want to touch it. LOL

but I remind myself I need to get that b6 or else its over, and try to find some form of enjoyment whilst doing it
If you're looking for motivation, identify what goals you want to achieve in that subjects and pinpoint exactly what you're going to do to get there. Best of luck :)

d-alarmclock

HSC
No, no! I love maths! It's just most of the 3 unit topics - perms, parametric ugh gross

English isn't bad. I just hate how it's so subjective to the reader! So far I've had one task and that was creative writing which I received 13/15 for, so that's what's keeping me motivated.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
For me, none of my subjects were 'ugly' as such since I loved all my subjects. Sometimes they can get hard-for example, there may be a lot of assessment tasks within a short period of time and preparation for so many subjects at once can be a bit terrifying. However, I think the best motivation comes from yourself-you really need to find an intrinsic source that is independent of your parent/teacher/peer's expectation of you, it may be the fact you want to give HSC you best shot, it may be you want a certain band/rank/ATAR/university course.

For me, the best source of motivation lies in visualisation that at this time next year, would you rather relax with no regrets knowing you have given your HSC your all or would you rather have some regrets that you haven't given some parts of the courses your all where you could have. Another very good motivator is to imagine while you are sitting, procrastinating on getting started, the studious students have already started studying.

TIME IS THE MOST PRECIOUS COMMODITY IN HSC, and in fact, in life as well-USE IT OR LOSE IT

Remember, everyone will have the same amount of time, yet everyone gets different marks. You are not alone, there may be hundreds/thousands of HSC students sharing the same feelings as you, but they will have overcome this initial reluctance and start studying. It all lies in GOOD TIME MANAGEMENT and STRONG SELF DISCIPLINE. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best to start studying and exceling in your HSC year:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
No, no! I love maths! It's just most of the 3 unit topics - perms, parametric ugh gross

English isn't bad. I just hate how it's so subjective to the reader! So far I've had one task and that was creative writing which I received 13/15 for, so that's what's keeping me motivated.
hahah parametrics grows on you ;D but yeah, perms is a dick!

congrats on creative writing :) and yeah, agreed about the subjectivity. It's so annoying grrr. >( maybe you should look into more motivators for English? like what happens if you no longer get those A-range marks, it can be quite disappointing to be dealt with a blow like that (happened to me, would hate to admit but felt really sad for a couple of days)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

congrats on creative writing :) and yeah, agreed about the subjectivity. It's so annoying grrr. >( maybe you should look into more motivators for English? like what happens if you no longer get those A-range marks, it can be quite disappointing to be dealt with a blow like that (happened to me, would hate to admit but felt really sad for a couple of days)
Blah English sucked.

d-alarmclock

HSC

No really? Parametrics - those proofs! Perms is bleugh.

English in year 11 for me was the biggest eye opener. Throughout school, I've always done well in English. By well, I mean, in kinder and year 1 I did ESL, then year 2 I did normal English, and from year 3 they had to create an advanced class for me because classwork was too easy. From year 5 onwards they created an even more advanced English group for me and another, a special book club for teachers with excelling students. Every year after that I've basically topped English. Year 11 was the first time I ever failed hahaha, badly like really really badly. So basically I never want to experience that again and I think that's probably enough motivation for me

Makematics

HSC
English Advanced was my 'ugly' subject. How did I study for it, you ask? I didn't :) I just f**king raped some of my other subjects to make up for my Band 4 :D

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
No subjects are ugly. They are beautiful on the inside, which is what counts the most.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

this is all those subjects speaking to your heart

don't hurt them :(

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably a battle between Physics (my worst sub in terms of HSC results) and MX2 (the subject I felt that I struggled the most with) for this category.

While Physics was somewhat interesting, it felt more tedious to study for in comparison to the social sciences (for me, Economics and Business Studies).

Doing MX2 felt like hell at times cause it felt like the hardest sub (rightfully so since IT IS MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 2) and became frustrating when I couldn't do many of the questions out there (especially the harder ones). I.e. Seemed impossible to do.

But in the end, I was actually happy with all my subjects as a whole.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
No really? Parametrics - those proofs! Perms is bleugh.

English in year 11 for me was the biggest eye opener. Throughout school, I've always done well in English. By well, I mean, in kinder and year 1 I did ESL, then year 2 I did normal English, and from year 3 they had to create an advanced class for me because classwork was too easy. From year 5 onwards they created an even more advanced English group for me and another, a special book club for teachers with excelling students. Every year after that I've basically topped English. Year 11 was the first time I ever failed hahaha, badly like really really badly. So basically I never want to experience that again and I think that's probably enough motivation for me
nah dude, parametric proofs are the best. they're easy (99% of the time) and easy to understand!

haha really? I did better in year 11 than 7-10. I was in the advanced reading groups in primary, but bombed pretty badly in my junior high school years. hahah, but it's good you found your motivation! hopefully it sticks :D

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Probably a battle between Physics (my worst sub in terms of HSC results) and MX2 (the subject I felt that I struggled the most with) for this category.

While Physics was somewhat interesting, it felt more tedious to study for in comparison to the social sciences (for me, Economics and Business Studies).

Doing MX2 felt like hell at times cause it felt like the hardest sub (rightfully so since IT IS MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 2) and became frustrating when I couldn't do many of the questions out there (especially the harder ones). I.e. Seemed impossible to do.

But in the end, I was actually happy with all my subjects as a whole.
felt this so much, but the satisfaction when you actually complete a really hard question is incomparable

ChillTime

HSC
Hi y'all. Everyone has their "ugly" subject, the one that you hate studying, usually the one you do worst in. I was just wondering how does everyone keep motivated to study for their ugly subject? For me, I'm finding 3 unit math to be my ugly subject (I do 4 units math :L). Don't get me wrong, once I understand the topic, I love it, but getting started is the problem. I can never bring myself to it.

So... How do you bring yourself to study for a subject you would rather not. And once you start, how do you keep yourself motivated throughout the week/term/year?

Thanks!
You haven't seen "ugly" subjects till you've been to uni, hopefully that will put things into perspective. HSC Maths is not bad once you understand the theory and the "tricks" ~ try to find sample questions with solutions. HSC English is not so bad once you become familiar with the structure of an essay ~ tutor recommended if it's not your strong suit.

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Geography... Most useless subject I have ever encountered in my whole f**king entire life. Seriously, the stuff we learn isn't relevant at all. I mean come on coastal management - WHO THE HELL CARES. The worst part of the crappy subject was the fact that we studied Australian geography (if we studied international geography, I wouldn't have minded) which makes it even more boring. Thanks goodness I dropped it for year 11 though.

English, haha don't get me started. The teachers always seem to be biased in terms of marking, hence why it's subjective. I hate how there's no straight answer which means that those people who make up BS can get away with it whereas I can't since I'm not 'sophisticated enough'. Arghhh! English will pull my ATAR down heaps! I least I'm getting tutoring to amend my weakest subject....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Engineering studies biggest scam ever, do not do this subject, so boring and content packed and doesn't scale well for its difficulty

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Back in the dark ages, when I did the HSC the subject I had in this category was Geography - stupid subject and I had to do it as there was nothing else on the line that I could do (changed schools between 10 and 11 and the new school didn't offer Latin so I was stuck with Geo). So how did I cope - 1 I had a great teacher who realised that I hated it and gave lots of encouragement
- 2 self discipline - I did it first each day and promised myself that for every hour on Geo I could spend 15 minutes on either Modern or Ancient (my favourites and the ones I found easy)
- 3 realising that once the HSC was over I would never have to touch the subject again - so a count down of period to go with the subject on the wall.

In the end it was my best subject in the HSC (by 1 mark over Ancient and 2 over Modern).

IcyRain

HSC
SOR II - Compulsory... :sleep:
Probably won't even be bothered to study for it. Although our school does get the most band 6's in the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)