studying - by Frigid (1 Viewer)

f001error

studying

okay, anyone got any hints on howyou study for english. looking at the sylabus statement then at the previous questions...it just doesnt seem to be related. also looking at the standards package the good answers seem to crap on with what i think is relevent...:confused: :confused: :confused:

any ideas ?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
  • practice writing essays. i cannot overemphasise this enough. try giving yourself an impromptu topic and write a beginning, or a conclusion.
  • know your texts well. by this i mean know quotes/context/values and attitudes/composer biography/influences etc etc. also for the relevant modules and change, know supplementaries.
  • make summaries of your texts. make summaries of your summaries. keep digesting your notes until you can fit one module onto an A4 piece of paper. by that time you would have summarised (and hopefully understood) the main points of the syllabus.
  • don't quote huge long chunks of text and then have an equally large-sized explanation. learn to integrate your quotes as phrases in your essay. that way it looks 'neater' and makes you look pro-er.
  • don't learn every single text in detail. for example, in Harwood's poetry for Change, learn about 3 poems (really really well). know the others moderately. bcoz in a 40 minute external, you cannot give everything about all six poems. therefore choose the ones you're best at.
  • it's not quantity, it's quality. for your supplementaries, you want MEATINESS, you want it to directly relate to your prescribed texts, not dodgey-hmmm-iffy stuff. MEAT is the key.
  • learn the key terms for each module. learn the literary techniques used. learn the syllabus definitions for terms such as 'textual integrity', 'values', 'representation' etc.
  • develop a correct mindset. english is soooppphhht. maths is harrrrddd. i cannot overemphasise this. you can do it. :)
  • keep doing trial papers, past-HSC papers. ask teachers to evaluate and mark it (use them during stuvac, esp the smart ones who've all got Masters in Arts). ask for criticism on essay structure, points expressed etc. listen and learn.
  • USE THE HSC ADVICE LINE!!! It's there, it's good, it's free.
    English Advanced Advice is available from 29/09 to 21/10 inclusive, so call them on 13 11 12. Tell them Frigid sent you.
  • and finally, don't beat Frigid in the externals, ok? :p

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
[[*]it's not quantity, it's quality. for your supplementaries, you want MEATINESS, you want it to directly relate to your prescribed texts, not dodgey-hmmm-iffy stuff. MEAT is the key.
i agree. meatiness = good stuff. as in, not waffle, as in facts, analysis, pulling things to bits etc.

D_E_A

You should keep in mind that as much as quality is important,so is quantity. I mean, if you write less than 6 pages for an essay type question, the marker would probably look at it as second grade or lower.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
dont just learn an essay, adapt it to the question

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Frigid what do you suggest If you hate a text, cant stand its content and can't physically write an essay/form

I am considering these options

- Giving up, packing my bags and failing this AOS
- Copying someone elses essay, adapt it to the question
- Read the text again, painfully understanding the concepts and try to write an essay

arrrrrrrrrrhhhh if only i was doing Star Wars :D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Beaky
Frigid what do you suggest If you hate a text, cant stand its content and can't physically write an essay/form
personally i hated the shit outta rosencrantz&guildenstern and cloudstreet the first time i read them... but then you read them again, read related material, and then you go oh yes, i see what the composers trying to say, and once you have that understanding, you'll gradually like it...

what's your AOS text?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
caveat emptor of study guides...
but yes, you must at least try to see it as a work of intellectual substance, think about it why it is so, then look at it from the AOS requirements, how does it encompass change, what kind of change, so on so forth; and then, at the end of your studies, maybe you'll like it. maybe. :)

just like me and complex numbers.

stainmepink

HSC
english is so damn subjective! waffle, and hope to god u get a slack marker!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm bored so I'll put in my 2c.

HSC English in a nutshell is about writing 4 good blanket essays and a few creative writing pieces. Spend your year writing these essays and handing them into your teacher until they score a very high mark. After this you should begin to adapt them to different questions and text types, then hand these in for marking until you are satisfied that you are able to easily convert them. Then you should memorise these essays, it's not hard if you write one out say every two nights under 40 minute exam conditions, and this will also help you with your writing speed and knowing how much of your essay you can get down on the page in such time and trim it accordingly. I write hell slow and this method enabled me to get 86, so surely it's good enough for most people to make 90+;)

xxPanDa

HSC
can u guys give me a list of what i should have ready for the trails/HSC
i already have my own list, but i wana see what i'm missing..
like essays,quotes etc.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
D_E_A said:
You should keep in mind that as much as quality is important,so is quantity. I mean, if you write less than 6 pages for an essay type question, the marker would probably look at it as second grade or lower.

.... not true

F

filofr3ak

read books...
go do sum past hsc papers...
do a bit of literacy paper from your english teacher...
improve your vocabulary....

thats what im trying to do:(

iNerd

Banned
HSC
Re: studying

what a find really helps

so example
Explain the purpose of 1st person used in the paragraph.

When I'm doing my work, I underline the key words. In this context, explain and purpose. And as I write the answer, I do a little tick above the words as I complete what the underlined word has asked me to do.

technicolour

HSC
Make sure that in whatever you're writing, the techniques that you're talking about relate back to the AOS (eg. belonging). It's not good saying that the reader can understand blah blah blah through the use of juxtaposition, because it doesn't relate back to belonging or discovery or journeys or whatever you're doing.

Also, make sure that you can write clearly and concisely. Don't just waffle on about nothing. It helps *alot* to handwrite a lot of essays before the exam. Make sure that you can write a good essay within the time frame of the exam (say 40 minutes).

Do loads of past papers and know techniques like the back of your hand.

parvus

HSC
one word: techniques. learn them and kno wat they achieve. quotations are also a must.

jackydoll

HSC
Make summaries for texts that you will talk about in the four essays. Look at:

• context
  • background/setting
  • meaning
  • techniques and important quotes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)