Studying Before and After Sleep? (1 Viewer)

Pete1555

HSC
Hey all!!

So I've heard many people say that studying before and after sleep makes you remember the content better. So is this true or false? I've done some research already, and supposedly it is better to study just before you go to sleep, however, there was no confirmation about studying after you wake up.

So does studying after you wake up good? And do you personally think it is a good study technique.

NOTE: Study meaning just reading over notes, NO writing involved.

Thanks!

Pete1555

HSC
any study is better than no study
Yes, I understand this. I don't mean to JUST study before and after sleep. I'm just curious if reading notes before and after sleep is an effective way to reinforce the knowledge.

CaffeineMotor

HSC
From what I've seen myself studying before sleep is meant to be very effective. This being because once you go to sleep you are not bombarding yourself with any other distractions/new sources of information. Also sleep is meant to be the time when our brain starts to organise/discard/keep bits of information from the day and before that. I would say it is quite probable that such concepts are right and that studying before sleep is beneficial (provided you're not literally dozing off as you're reading etc.)

Not entirely sure about just after waking up, as in a way that would contradict the efforts of the before sleep method as now you have a whole new day of information/distractions to process as well.

epz

HSC
I study before sleep and it's been working good so far, I get way to distracted in the morning with my hobbies and what not. Mind you, 3PM on wards for me works the best, but that's me individually. For yourself, you should just test different times.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My brain was mush in mornings, it differs person to person, I preferred arvo-night studying. The only subject I could do in the morning was maths.

But for many people. just reading over notes is not great. Recording them and listening to them, actively having a pen in a hand and adding little notes, highlighting etc. help you to get more engaged with the information, making a table as you go etc.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I would read random notes and stuff just before and after sleep.

It's pretty much equivalent to a couple hours of study to get info into your head. The shit goes str8 in

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
There is no point in studying right after you wake up.

When you sleep, your mind undergoes a process of consolidation for the day's events, it turns out that it can consolidate with much more clarity the events that are more recent, i.e. events later in the day/night. Hence it is the most effective to study at night since your brain will consolidate this information with much more ease and clarity.

The study that you do after you wake up won't be consolidated as well since it was the first thing you did.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A

When you sleep, your mind undergoes a process of consolidation for the day's events, it turns out that it can consolidate with much more clarity the events that are more recent, i.e. events later in the day/night. Hence it is the most effective to study at night since your brain will consolidate this information with much more ease and clarity.

The study that you do after you wake up won't be consolidated as well since it was the first thing you did.
Definitely agree with this (but then it depends on the person)

I got told in a study skills session that if you read your notes right before you slept, you were more likely to remember them. This definitely worked for me, but this is a memorisation tactic, not a studying tactic :)

SharkeyBoy

HSC
I would say, as others have mentioned, that it's beneficial to studying before sleeping because the brain processes the information a whole lot better. However, I reckon it would be also good if u quickly went over the notes you did the night before to make sure you remembered them, so if you happen to make a mistake somewhere or forget a certain something then that quick revision in the morning would help clarify your understanding :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

no... studying just as you wake up allows the information to sink in quickly as well...

funstudy

HSC
Really don't know...there isn't any reliable way to test this so just do what suits you

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
neuron pathways are reinforced at a tiem where they are vulnerable, duh
From what I have been reading, it is seen that you shouldn't be studying right after you wake up due to sleep inertia. Just because your neuron pathways are reinforced doesn't mean their productivity is increasing.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I have been reading, it is seen that you shouldn't be studying right after you wake up due to sleep inertia. Just because your neuron pathways are reinforced doesn't mean their productivity is increasing.
Nah, it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)