studying and uni (1 Viewer)

LaurenHarvey

HSC
Hey just say you went to uni 15 hours a week, how many hours of outside study should that calculate to? And does anyone have any tips on how to deal with uni and working at the same time? Thanks

loser101

HSC
1 hour class time: 1 hour home study.

thats minimum. u would do 30 hours of Uni Work/week.

lots of people say uni easy, so much free time, well no shit, if you only attend lectures and tutes worth 15hours a week, then they wonder why they fail :confused:

though u should consider uni a full time job, in which case you should do at least 40 hours of Lectures/tutes and private study per week.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I think they recommend 2 hours per credit point... which works out to 12 hours per subject minus however many hours at uni... and I don't think that includes work on assessments... but clearly that is unreasonable.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
realistically, I'd say about half an hour per hour spent at uni. 1 hour for every hour is what lecturers recommend, but I don't think very many people stick to that, especially not in first year.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
What I do-
- read the week's notes on the train, highlight them, before each tute. This means I can contribute to tutorial discussions = better understanding of topics.
- try to get a head start on assessments. If your books are in reserve, there will be HUNDREDS of other people trying to read them 1 week before the assignment is due. At least do the research in advance so there's no "omg there are no books!" panic.
- if I don't understand something, I get it sorted out with the tutor asap, or I work it out for myself. Don't let it slide then freak out when it's the essay question in the exam.
- attend everything, take notes in the lecture. It means I don't have to catch up on it.

The reading takes up the most time, but it's definitely worth it. I don't bother with notes until stuvac. Maybe I'll trial a pre-stuvac notes system this semester, but don't expect it to last longer than a week or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)