• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Study? (1 Viewer)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
For riviet and YBK and all you other people with 20 + hours of study these holidays i was just curious as to:

* what do u consider as study? do u count catch up h/w ? reading the english novel? ...

* How do you study? Obviously each subject you are going to do it differently, e.g. how do u study for Maths? English? Chemistry?

Thanks

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sando said:
how do u study for Maths?
You can either:

- Revise on what you've learnt to refresh your memory.

OR

- read ahead and try to learn new topics, which is what I've been trying to do.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
sando said:
For riviet and YBK and all you other people with 20 + hours of study these holidays i was just curious.......
20+ hours? what do u mean.
20 hours a week (nearly 3 hours a day) or 20 hours these holidays ( .5 hours a day)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
sando said:
For riviet and YBK and all you other people with 20 + hours of study these holidays i was just curious as to:

* what do u consider as study? do u count catch up h/w ? reading the english novel? ...

* How do you study? Obviously each subject you are going to do it differently, e.g. how do u study for Maths? English? Chemistry?

Thanks
I count everything as study... :D

Chemistry and Physics, I write dot points. I've finished the first module for physics and half the first for chemistry these holidays.. My aim is to finish the entire syllabus for both...

I've done a few hours of maths revision - just doing problems and trying to remember forgotten concepts.

Haven't done anything for english yet... maybe i'll read the novels later, don't think i'll count that as study though, because reading novels is too simple..lol

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
20+ hours? what do u mean.
20 hours a week (nearly 3 hours a day) or 20 hours these holidays ( .5 hours a day)
Well some people have already done more than 20 hours of study in these school holidays and i was just asking them in particular, but ur input is still welcome

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Does it really matter how much study other people do. You have to work out what works for you some people can do fewer hours of study and yet learn the same amount. Just do what you feel is needed and what must be done and you should be right.

Maths study for me usually consists of doing problems and writing revision sheets full of the topics formula\equations, terms and examples. English is usually answering essay type questions but then it depends on the topic.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
sando said:

Thanks
no, i don't consider things such as h/w or reading the english novel as study. IMO its practically doing work outside of school which your teacher didn't set for you. this could be writing up notes, revision, reading ahead for subjects. for english study, i would write essays which could be similar to questions asked in exams. then give it to my teacher to read for suggestions on like what i can do to improve it and then finetune it.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
well atm i can't study for any subjects because i have at least 3-4 hours for every subject of catch up h/w. I aim to finish all the catch up h/w and my S.O.R isp before the holidays end, so that's my goal

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol.
for english, write up notes on all the texts u have and gonna do. im currently doing this for the stimulus booklet... gonna do about 3 sources from the stimulus.

juss 'readin' isn't really studying. if you are keeping in mind why u are reading and thinking about how it links to other texts and the concept of journey, etc etc. i'd consider it studying .. partly though :p

im currently trying to do the syllabus dot points crap for physics. i've done some maths revision...
mostly i've done Business studies, physics and IPT study..

done about up 2 9-10 hrs of study.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
ummm.... i was just lookin at ur subjects and i was wondering if you do ext 2 maths or jsut ext 1

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
sando said:
ummm.... i was just lookin at ur subjects and i was wondering if you do ext 2 maths or jsut ext 1
lol just ext 1 ... i maybe crazy .. but im not THAT crazy >_<

karoooh

HSC
sando said:
well atm i can't study for any subjects because i have at least 3-4 hours for every subject of catch up h/w. I aim to finish all the catch up h/w and my S.O.R isp before the holidays end, so that's my goal
I consider that to be study! Because you're still 'studying' and trying to grasp the concept of the subject you're doing.

Reading you're English novel is part of study I guess... You'll have make notes and study the text soon anyway, so you're beginning to study it... Hey! I guess it's studying then! :D

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The best way to study for maths is to do questions. Lots and lots of questions. Ask your own questions if you''re unsure, but work through your textbook, any other textbook you can get, past papers, everything.

For the sciences, get a copy of the syllabus, and for each dot point, write out a paragraph (more if necessary) that answers the dot point. By the time the HSC comes, you should have written out every single dot point and its answer.

Catch up homework really isn't "study" since you're behind what your class is up to. Study is more your own personal revision, taken in your own time, rather than catching back up to the class.

I_F

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
um i consider study to be both doing the homework and supplementing that with your own notes and summaries. doing hw is study because you're learning and remembering concepts as you do it. at the moment i'm summarising all the work i've done this term in dot point note form, re reading texts, textbook chapters etc, and reading the novels and makng notes on them as i read. that's about it. i also have some catch up to do. out of interest, how much do your feelings towards subjects influence your study of them? i've got lots of revision planned for history and drama but havent even thought about bio yet.

bassqueen16

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
um i consider study to be both doing the homework and supplementing that with your own notes and summaries. doing hw is study because you're learning and remembering concepts as you do it. at the moment i'm summarising all the work i've done this term in dot point note form, re reading texts, textbook chapters etc, and reading the novels and makng notes on them as i read. that's about it. i also have some catch up to do. out of interest, how much do your feelings towards subjects influence your study of them? i've got lots of revision planned for history and drama but havent even thought about bio yet.
i reckon it counts alot... if you enjoy the subject or the topic your more likely to want to study it, so i figure for subjects u dont like do them first (or use study for subjects u like more, as a reward) that way they're over and done with and u can move onto the things you love :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
There are some people who use the "we did nothing this term so we cant revise" excuse.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
There are some people who use the "we did nothing this term so we cant revise" excuse.
haha they will regret this time that we have at the moment.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
Well someone's going to be very behind! :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)