Study tips for an English exam? (1 Viewer)

s-tressed

HSC
Suggestions please!

English stresses me out like no other :/

s-tressed

HSC
I used to use generic essays until teachers kept emphasising not to. Do you recommend it? How do you cope if you receive a really specific question that is difficult to adapt your essay to?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I used to use generic essays until teachers kept emphasising not to. Do you recommend it? How do you cope if you receive a really specific question that is difficult to adapt your essay to?
Well if you're having a hard time remembering random pieces of analysis then yeah you should know your generic one.

Adapting is the skill you are ultimately examined on, look at the key words, think of a few synonyms and modify the main point/thesis of your essay using those words. I guess you should just practice writing introductions to different questions to better your skill...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Pray that they dont give u a feature article to right for the AOS creative

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
know all your points really well and understand what each piece of evidence does

i had 2 generic essays (mod c, aos) and adapted them on the day
mod b was just poem summaries (i do yeats)
memorised a creative I adapted to stimulus (didn't really adapt bc my creative fit the stimulus really well lol)
mod a remembered 6 adaptable essay paragraphs that covered the main themes of frankenblade (fucking stressful would NOT recommend)

usually intros + conclusions are done on the day
practice coming up with essay plans with past hsc questions (check out tutor tales) so you can see how "adaptable" your essays and points are

if you can't remember big chunks of information, reduce all your sentences to dot points so like "quote - general effect, key words from the sentence" and it should flow together if you run through it enough times

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Practice copying/adapting generic essays to questions from past papers (If you are the 'typical' English student then this is recommended).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't recommend using generic essays, to cope with specific questions, you need to take the time needed to deconstruct the essay question and plan your essay out properly before you start writing. Many people fail to get the marks they should because they fail to plan-and as a result, they miss out on important ideas and their ideas may end up being presented quite jumbled up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)