Study timetable (1 Viewer)

Snowflek

HSC
Hey guys
I want to create a study timetable, if you wouldnt mind, post it below so i can get an understanding on how you created yours and how i should create mine :D

SuperAltastic

HSC
In my opinion there are two types of study time tables you can make, its up to you to best decide which one will work for you.

1. The traditional timetable where you just slot in subjects and when you intend to study or revise them. This is a quick method and only needs to be done once, however generally it only works if you stick to it.

2. The daily timetable, this is a better method in my opinion, however it also requires a bit more effort. This timetabling method involves you creating a template and printing one each day. It has the same lay out as a traditional table but with one extra column and one extra large row. After you come from school it requires that you sit down for 10 minutes and reflect on your day. The first thing you are required to do is in dot points on the side of the table (in the extra column) write down your goals for the day i.e. complete homework and do 50 MCQ's for each subject. Then you slot in the subject in the appropriate times and can adjust each day depending on the work load. When your done studying you have to fill out the large row at the bottom, it should be a summary of your study and should include things like how many hours you took a break, studied or did other things not related to your daily goals. Then the next day you should use your summary and try direct your study more effective and repeat the process until the end go your HSC. This has a lot of benefits as it is very flexible and allows you to focus for the day where as other timetables might be rigid and you can often lose track if you don't follow them. On the other hand it does require a bit of daily work and dedication for the entire year.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I tended to use a system where I allocated time for study periods, and then allocated the subject later according to need.

STUDENT K

HSC
I used to a make weekly timetable with each time slot having something different to do, but had a lot of trouble following them, as they are so rigid and don't really account for what may be going on at that time.

Instead now, i use a blank Monday - Sunday timetable with half hour time slots. A few days before, or even on that day, I will write in what I aim to do/have done in each slot (with pencil!!! so I can shuffle it around if I needed to). This is a lot more flexible (I can keep the same method throughout the year, whether it is exam week, lot's of assignments due, or nothing much really going on) and for me this works great.

Generally, I aim to do the HW straight after I get home, and the revision/assignments after dinner. I also have on my sheet target hours for each subject per week, which I can then compare to my actual week to see if I am doing enough/what I aimed for. :) Attached is something similar to what I use that I found in google images.

Weekly-Study-Schedule.png

elizabethii

HSC
What I recommend instead of a study timetable is to write to-do lists for each week.
Write down: What you MUST do for that week i.e. homework, a past paper, a practice essay etc. and what you'd like to try to do i.e. another past paper, write notes for chpt. 3 etc. Aim for 10-15 objectives per week.

This is more effective as, in giving yourself tasks, you ensure that your study sessions are actually productive. More importantly, you do not tie yourself down to a schedule that you may not always want to follow. A to-do list however, ensures maximum productivity, while giving you the discretion to decide when you want to accomplish each task.

chickencoop

HSC
What I recommend instead of a study timetable is to write to-do lists for each week.
Write down: What you MUST do for that week i.e. homework, a past paper, a practice essay etc. and what you'd like to try to do i.e. another past paper, write notes for chpt. 3 etc. Aim for 10-15 objectives per week.

This is more effective as, in giving yourself tasks, you ensure that your study sessions are actually productive. More importantly, you do not tie yourself down to a schedule that you may not always want to follow. A to-do list however, ensures maximum productivity, while giving you the discretion to decide when you want to accomplish each task.
^ i second this. i created 2 week cycles of 'to do tasks' such as homework/assignments and mainly past papers and stuck to it as best as i could. With the 2 week cycles, it gives you some room for give and take, in circumstances where something may pop up to disrupt your normal routine. Make sure that you stick to doing one major task a day if possible (like finishing 1/2 of an assignment, or completing one past paper for mathematics etc), and also take breaks

I found with studying, its better if you stick to any form of routine and ritual to allow it to become habitual so use whatever forms of organisation you may find best and just stick to it for a prolonged time...

The best sort of advice i was given that can be both applied to the HSC and life went along something like this: "Motivation is just an emotion, and like all emotions; they are temporary. Habits however, are permanent if needed; and is the honeypot of all successes"

chickencoop

HSC
Also, i personally find the 'hour by hour' schedules really stressful and useless :(

egal

HSC
I keep a general timetable of extra tasks to do each week, generally an hour or two of tasks each night in addition to weekly to do lists.

Mine for example,
Monday- French practice paper (which takes 3 hours, but monday fun)
Tuesday- 1.5 hours of HSC practice maths questions
Wednesday- 1 academic article for E1 english and 1 for advanced to be read/annotated
Thursday- 2x Practice multiple choice sections for economics on BOS website and 1x short answer section on something we have already done (i should probably ass essays this year though)

Then I do those tasks first as they're the 'optional' tasks, so my to do list each week homework/test revision/writing notes/vocab lists which is obligatory will definitely be done afterwards. If i did it the other way around, I think I would rarely do my extra tasks as there is no one making me do them and I would lose energy.

personally, the mixture of a set schedule and one that changes week-to-week works best for me.

If you plan to do a set study schedule, I would recommend having set tasks to do in each time slot, for example, not just "do bio study" because you will end up spending some of the time figuring out what you will do, so it would be better to write "make bio notes" or something like that.

Hope this helps and good luck!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
This discussion has been productive/useful. So it has been pinned/sticked up the top.

Thinking about it though, nah. Not worth it.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Hey guys
I want to create a study timetable, if you wouldnt mind, post it below so i can get an understanding on how you created yours and how i should create mine :D
I done mine the same way as Dan964. However, if you want further ideas google study timetable year 12 and look at some of the images.

ALawrence

HSC
Hey guys
I usually work from to-do lists like some of the people on this thread, as it feels as though I've achieved more. Since my schedule varies so much from week to week, there's almost no chance it would work out if I used a timetable...so I use to-do lists instead and put in a bunch of small, achievable tasks (e.g. instead of 'write English essay' I do 'write intro (150 words)', 'write body 1 (400)' etc. etc...that way I get more done without even realising it!

Also, try to finish the homework you DON'T want to do first...then you'll actually get it over and done with instead of leaving it till the last minute :p I did this all the time with Maths

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)