Study Frequency (1 Viewer)

PF

HSC
metalhead_loz said:
michaeln36 said:
Almost everyone studies at the same effectivness
QUOTE]

Totally disagree.

Dont expect to just study effectively the night before an exam and go really well.. Of course you have to study weeks before hand.
lol u'd be surprised how few people actually study WEEKS before a test... u cant study "effectively" the nighit before a test and go well - but two nights before is ok

PF

HSC
robo-andie said:
I wouldn't say I study in a traditional sense.
I tend to (on my walk home from school) run through everything I was taught that day and make sure I do understand it all. Besides this, I don't do any study (revising notes etc) and I do just aswell as those who DO study.

I think it's BS when people say that studying = better marks. It is all relative to the intelligence of the person who is studying.
Some people NEED to study because they simply can't absorb chunks of information in one go. That's not to say that ALL people who study are like this, just a majority.

Ok, wrong. It's not total BS.

Your school could be doing extremely well, you could be topping ALL your classes and still get a shit UAI. You can never accurately predict a UAI as it depends on the results of every student who is completing the HSC.

Also, don't get so hung up on your UAI. Even if it does turn out to be 99.85 (congrats if it does) it's what you do afterwards that determines your true intelligence. I know people who have gotten 95's or 98's and succeeded in getting into good universities and the courses they wanted, though they didn't have the ability to make anything of it, and eventually failed.

@ no one specifically - Just remember, your UAI ultimately means nothing and don't feel you can assume superiority over those who didn't get as high as you.
andy makes sense michael :p

bini_bung

HSC
I think besides completing your homework everyday and reflecting on what you've learnt that day, it's important to spend at least another 2hours of effective study. You can slowly increase the study time as you get used to it. Although people study with different effectivity, putting in the hours does help, it will train you to be able to sit still and concentrate for longer periods of time, as some of the HSC exams go for 3hours. I do not recommend studying every second of the day, unless that's an effective method for you, otherwise you'll just burn out and lose your motivation and fail in the end.

For me, I sometimes study in the morning before school if I have nothing better to do. Often, if I'm travelling to school alone, I reflect on what I've learnt throughout the week and what I should expect to learn that day. After school, I go to my local library and stay there to do homework and revision until the library closes (about 3.5hrs there). Then home, dinner, shower, chores, and squeeze about another 1.5hours revision before sleep. On the weekends and during holidays I try to follow the same routine as during regular school days, with the exception of Saturday afternoons coz I have sport (I find that if my motivation to maintain fitness goes up, so does my motivation to study). In the few weeks leading to exams and during exam period I up the hours of study and follow a more intense routine. This works for me. Set up your own suitable routine and stick to it!

Now, in relation to UAI estimates, punching your report marks in isn't very accurate. It's best to go by ranking. You'll find that generally, if you compare the final HSC marks obtained by students in previous years and their school rankings, there is little difference. Hence, if you find out the final HSC marks of a student from the last three years with the same ranking as you now and plug that mark into estimator, you'll get a much more accurate estimation.
For example, you may be ranked 60/160 for MathsX1. You find out what final HSC mark previous students of the same rank in your school got and average it. In this case, that may be 45/50. Do the same for other subjects and put in these HSC marks into estimator and voila! You have a moderately accurate UAI estimate.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
michaeln36 appears to be all about quantity rather than quality ...

I say there's the need for a balance.

(Why doesn't michaeln36's avatar surprise me?)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
kidokkyo said:
michaeln36 appears to be all about quantity rather than quality ...

I say there's the need for a balance.

(Why doesn't michaeln36's avatar surprise me?)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH ZOMG

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :)

I have alot of assessments at the moment so i've welded it together with studying (at least with history based subjects). Generally when not in such a busy time I study here and there alternating topics, by the end of my assessment period (Wk 6) i'll be studying about 2-3 hours a day with definate breaks and allowances for reflection and interneting and things. I also try to do something each weekend even if for a few hours with friends/the boyfriend, perhaps practice driving etc... yah know, keep it simple and definately regular... and remember to have a bit of fun .

michaeln36

HSC
PF said:
andy makes sense michael :p
bull shit he does.

Andy thinks that if u go to a school ranked in top 20, then get high ranks, you will get a low uai ... zomg .. idiot.

As for the cohort being "especially strong" etc... TOTAL BS.. when u have 50 000 people sitting the hsc every year, there are sooo many people that different years are not particuarly strong/particuarly weak -- and even if they were, that particuarly strongness would also be at my high school, so for me to get high ranks then i would have to compete against strong people anyway... zomg u are dumb.

as to what you do afterwards -- i plan to not only get a nice uai, but to do a good course at uni, do well at uni, and get a good job.

"Just remember, your UAI ultimately means nothing and don't feel you can assume superiority over those who didn't get as high as you."

uai = what uni course u can get into .. it does not mean nothing.
and i would never dream of assuming someone was better than another person based on their uai - there are too many other factors.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
strength, is what i believe you mean.

your avatar is freaking me out, michaeln36...

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
michaeln36 said:
i punched my half yearly marks into SAM and it gives me a UAI of 99.85 :p
and i go to a selective high school, so my report marks are not too unrealistically high.

Boasting.

Monstar

HSC
michaeln36 said:
ummm.. thats total bs.

of course they do not predict exactly ur uai, but they do give u a good guide.
Especially at selective high schools, since the quality of the canditure in ur school is very similar each year (since entrance mark similar, and teachers same).
my average rank in my subjects (in a grade of 150) is about 3rd, and i do subjects that are traditionally seen as 'high scaling' or 'hard'.

IF you do well in ur half yearlies, and keep taht up as i will do, then u will get quite a good uai.

Arrogance.

michaeln36

HSC
liberal party ftw!!
sorry offtopic..

ontopic: everyones stupid, study study study and u'll do better.

.. one of the two above comments was serious ..... try and pick which 1.. lol

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this has been covered, but I'm just wondering how many hours people are planning on working each day during Stuvac. Cheers.

PS. As for the liberal party, I think they're a bunch of old, rich, sexist, racist, homophobic bigots.

Soiscit

wow mike, building ill relations as usual

Last edited by a moderator:

PF

HSC
Kevyin said:
wow mike, building ill relations as usual

agreed! LOL

why did this thread start again anyway?

on a side note, nice skirt on friday kev
i think mr sherley was smitten by u

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Actually michael is right. He will probably get a uai around that mark.

However he's still a loser for being a Liberal.

Last edited:

Soiscit

on a side note, nice skirt on friday kev
i think mr sherley was smitten by u
he must've seen through the beauty and truth to the equation.
kev + skirt = hot transvestite.

Last edited by a moderator:

michaeln36

HSC
_dhj_ said:

Liberal aint that bad... hey im evolving and changing opinions lately o_O

i now agree with most of the Liberal parties economic policies, but disagree with most of their social policies. o_O.

marwanjamiel

HSC
_dhj_ said:

suck it n00b. I'm from Iraq, am staunchly against the Iraq war, and yet I support the Liberals, very strongly. Who do you support? Labour? LOL!

Labour doesn't even promote labour, it promotes staying-home-doing-shit-all. The Liberals teach the country that you have to work if you want to get ahead, because thats the way the world works, and it is what is required to strengthen an economy.

The reason I'm not surprised michael is a liberal is because he agrees with their fundamental value, WORKING. I'm sorry, but lying and cheating yourself and others about your "efficient" study is only going to make you lose at the end. The only way you can actually get ahead in life is if you work harder than everyone else.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
marwanjamiel said:
suck it n00b. I'm from Iraq, am staunchly against the Iraq war, and yet I support the Liberals, very strongly. Who do you support? Labour? LOL!

Labour doesn't even promote labour, it promotes staying-home-doing-shit-all. The Liberals teach the country that you have to work if you want to get ahead, because thats the way the world works, and it is what is required to strengthen an economy.

The reason I'm not surprised michael is a liberal is because he agrees with their fundamental value, WORKING. I'm sorry, but lying and cheating yourself and others about your "efficient" study is only going to make you lose at the end. The only way you can actually get ahead in life is if you work harder than everyone else.

lawl wtf.

you take intarnet too seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)