Study books (1 Viewer)

Which brand of study guide is best?

• Total voters

Brontecat

HSC
I know there is already a thread on this, but i was interested to see what brand is best overall e.g. in a poll

If u pick other plz specify

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Different "brands" have different strengths in each text because they have different authors working on different textbooks meaning that some textbooks related to particular subject are strong in one "brand" and weak in the other.

Jacaranda for example, may have a good textbook for Physics while Excel might have a good Legal Studies book.

Another issue with the poll is some discrepencies we face. Terry Lee only has published books for maths. So comparing that with other "brand" would not be the best idea.

So, I suggest you visit each subject forum and check each forum out as they have the stickied (usually) thread where they discuss the textbooks.

Alternatively, there is a stickied thread within this forum that you can check out.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Different "brands" have different strengths in each text because they have different authors working on different textbooks meaning that some textbooks related to particular subject are strong in one "brand" and weak in the other.

Jacaranda for example, may have a good textbook for Physics while Excel might have a good Legal Studies book.

Another issue with the poll is some discrepencies we face. Terry Lee only has published books for maths. So comparing that with other "brand" would not be the best idea.

So, I suggest you visit each subject forum and check each forum out as they have the stickied (usually) thread where they discuss the textbooks.

Alternatively, there is a stickied thread within this forum that you can check out.
What's your favorite Maths/MX1 supplementary study book? I haven't bought one before, and I don't want to buy too many.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What's your favorite Maths/MX1 supplementary study book? I haven't bought one before, and I don't want to buy too many.
Core: PAST PAPERS

Supple: Cambridge & Fitzpatrick may be? Excel proves to be useless really for 3 unit.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I've been told that Understanding Maths is really good for theory and as namu said J.B. Fitzpatrick which also provides decent theory along with good questions and to master it all up use Cambridge... once you've got the hang of that do past papers, as many as you can from various school... doing the ones from the schools who are top ranked should help more and give you a better result, but I doubt there are many year 11 papers going around so you should try and get some past papers from your school.

smushieex

HSC
I've noticed there aren't much 2unit books for math, they're all mainly 3unit, am i right? =S
Does it matter if you study off a 3unit book if you're doing 2unit?
if that's just effing stupid, then what are some good 2unit books ? :)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I've noticed there aren't much 2unit books for math, they're all mainly 3unit, am i right? =S ... if that's just effing stupid, then what are some good 2unit books ?
Not really, there are many 2unit textbooks for maths: Cambridge 2unit, Fitzpatrick 2unit, Maths in Focus 2unit and a few others. The best ones are Cambridge and Fitzpatrick, they both have difficult questions and fitzy has good simple explanations. Maths in focus is just stupid... i think i will leave it at that.

You would find that some of the 3unit textbooks are mixed, like Cambridge or Maths in Focus. But some are not, like Fitzpatrick 3unit.

Does it matter if you study off a 3unit book if you're doing 2unit?
It doesnt really, if it is mixed ie 2/3 unit, then you would get some more difficult questions, but its really unnessesary, there is a lot of 3unit stuff and having it would be useless.

Brontecat

HSC
atm im using excel as my textbook what do ppl think of this??

i rlly like the examples and stuff, but it could probably do with some more exercises (even if ur using it to study)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)