Study and revision (2 Viewers)

bmxgurl25

HSC
Hey
What is everyone doing for studying and revising for tests different opinions would be good!! Thanks
:eek:

Last edited:

ccc123

HSC
risole91 said:
write notes.
Read and re write notes.

Pretty much. I don't about other people but reading the textbook just doesn't work for me. I'm actually unhealthily obssessed with notes. My PE notes, for example, are 12000 words. Its more the process of writing them then reading them thats helpful though.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Constantly revise your notes.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
risole91 said:
write notes.
Read and re write notes.
Been told, and proved that that's a waste of time.

Read notes 2-3 times MAX, waste of time rewriting them.

Practice papers and more practice papers.

ccc123

HSC
tommykins said:

I don't think writing notes is a waste of time, but as I said, i think any study you do needs to be proactive, or your mind will wander (which is why just reading notes doesn't work for most people.)

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
KNOW your work very well like 1-2 weeks before hand. then practise by doing past papers and questions.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:

Have to concur on that one. However, I still see note-taking as effective as doing past papers because you need KNOWLEDGE to do the papers.

By the way, where would you get all the practice and past papers from?

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Rewriting your notes is a waste of time, not actually making notes. readinzzpro

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:
ummm you can ask your teachers for past papers, or download them from the net "board of studies" website.

For half yearlies you may have to pick out questions specific for the topics you are gonna do.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ccc123 said:
I don't think writing notes is a waste of time, but as I said, i think any study you do needs to be proactive, or your mind will wander (which is why just reading notes doesn't work for most people.)
Nah mate, I meant writing notes and then re-writing it for "revision".

You should only read your notes 2-3 times after they're done, then spend alot of the time doing past papers.

The idea is, reading notes only gives you a rote-learn answer, and in exams, they will never have a question where it goes "Tell me all you know about [topic here]"

It will be specific, so doing past papers allows different angles to a dot point so you can cover all bases.

lyounamu said:
You can buy books like Success ONE HSC where they have past papers from the HSC (3-4 year span I believe) or ask your teachers.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
yer8899 said:
1) printing off someones notes from bos website.
2) possibly reading over them
Doesnt work for me.
Because some schools place a much larger emphasis on certain topics.

Ie i downloaded topic 2 biology notes, which focused largely on Mendels work and creations.

My test comprised of mainly punnet squares.

sasa-o8

HSC
True, you can't fully rely on the notes of others; so downloading notes off other students here is not that effective.

I learn the most when writing up notes myself (WRITING not TYPING), then re reading the notes about 5 times (my notes are fairly short, I don't add irrelevant junk in). Then if bothered, attempt some past paper questions.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
You can buy books like Success ONE HSC where they have past papers from the HSC (3-4 year span I believe) or ask your teachers.[/quote

What about for Preliminary? SUCCESS ONE HSC is only for HSC. So, can anyone tell me where I can find Preliminary stuff?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
for preliminary, don't worry so much because your marks don't really count. only try to know your content so you will have the foundation and the knowledge for your hsc. marks aren't that important in year 11, but moreso, your knowledge is. so don't stress too much over prelim exams. just do some notes, learn em, and do some past questions. that should be more than sufficient

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
leoyh said:
for preliminary, don't worry so much because your marks don't really count. only try to know your content so you will have the foundation and the knowledge for your hsc. marks aren't that important in year 11, but moreso, your knowledge is. so don't stress too much over prelim exams. just do some notes, learn em, and do some past questions. that should be more than sufficient
Deeply appreciate your thoughtful comment. However, I still would like to top my form in all my subjects. So, it will be appreciated if someone could tell me where I can find past papers or NOTES FROM RESOURCE PAGE that can supplement my own study notes? I heard that Ahmad Shah Idil's biology note is good, what about Chemistry?

Thank you.

bleu

HSC
lyounamu said:
Deeply appreciate your thoughtful comment. However, I still would like to top my form in all my subjects. So, it will be appreciated if someone could tell me where I can find past papers or NOTES FROM RESOURCE PAGE that can supplement my own study notes? I heard that Ahmad Shah Idil's biology note is good, what about Chemistry?

Thank you.
Hey, this may be kind of obvious, and you've probably thought of it already but have u tried checking if your school library stocks their past prelim papers? Mine does. Or else ask your teachers, i'm sure they'll have past copies and will be happy to give them to u.

Good luck with finding some!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
lyounamu said:
I heard that Ahmad Shah Idil's biology note is good

Thank you.
they are excellent.
Although in so much depth, i summarised them to half the lenght.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)