Studies of Religion Progress (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol
Can you tell me in dot points what we need to know for a dreaming SA please. I feel like Im missing something haha
no worries omed

Discuss how Aboriginal spirituality is determined by the Dreaming
– kinship
– ceremonial life
– obligations to the land and people

The Dreaming is the foundation of Aboriginal spirituality, providing a basis upon which kinship systems, traditions, rituals and ceremonies are built.

Kinship is a complex system of belonging and responsibility within a clan based on familial and totem relations that govern daily Aboriginal life by determining clan issues. The dreaming has in itself prescribed the peoples kinship ties and permeates throughout the system by:

– assigning responsibilities to transmit knowledge of the dreaming from elders to younger generations
– providing the basis on which aboriginal society is structured on; maintained since the beginning of the Dreaming
– defining spiritual and temporal identity to the aboriginal people
– Kinship is also expressed through Totems which identify one’s kinship line and provide the individual with a direct link to sacred matters.

Ceremonial life:
The complex and spiritual core of the Dreaming and Dreaming stories for each group is recognised and revered in ceremonial life, encompassing performance of rituals at sacred sites, the drawing of sacred symbols and corroborees.

Rituals heighten the presence of the Dreamings:
– Link the present world to the Dreamtime

Art is used to communicate the dreaming:
– By providing maps of the land; clans, sacred sites, waterholes etc.
– Used to pass on sacred knowledge

Stories describe the Aboriginal law and lifestyle:
– Describe how ancestral beings move through land creating nature
– Provide foundation for Aboriginal existence by explaining creation and sharing how dreaming shapes daily life
– Used as a form of oral history

Totems represent individual as they existed in the dreaming:
– Form of animal, plant or natural phenomena
– Links individual and ancestor spirit
– Totems carry ceremonial responsibilities (balance rights)

Obligations to land and a people:
Land is of great importance because:
– Aboriginals believe that people were created from the earth which has existed since the beginning of time and that it is therefore the sacred motherland, ‘My Country’

Dreaming is inextricably connected to the land because:
– The land is the context of the Dreaming stories, a constant around which their spiritual world revolved.
– Land provides the foundation for Aboriginal beliefs, traditions, rituals and laws

Ancestral beings dwell in the land and therefore:
– The people have a responsibility to keep and respect the land
 E.g. If travelling, the aboriginal people must be careful not to enter the sacred spaces of other clans. This shows the interconnection that exists between obligation to the land and a people.
 E.g. The people of West Arnhem Land, in the NT, believe that the MiMi rock pictures were painted by The MiMi Spirits thousands of years ago. This allows them to understand the relationship they have with the Dreaming, their country and their ancestor spirits. These relationships determine responsibilities between people.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
more copy and paste

Discuss the continuing effect of dispossession on Aboriginal spiritualities in relation to:
 Separation from the land
 Separation from kinship groups
 The Stolen Generations

Separation from the land:
– Interfered with rituals and ceremonies which followed Dreaming tracks (paths that follow the Spirit Ancestors as they created the landscape) that provided the people with a physical connection to the Dreaming. Out of context the ritual/ceremony is meaningless and the people become misplaced spiritually and psychologically with no home and no stable base of life.
– The land is the context of the Dreaming stories, a constant around which their spiritual world revolved. Removal from this land would then be likely to cause a severe disruption to the normal pattern and processes for handling traditions
 Physical presence in the country was important to the people in keeping the lore (stories, songs, dances, art, customs) alive and passing it on. The lore is related land were their shared personal property, perhaps the most important ‘permanent’ and ‘tangible’ constant in their nomadic life.

Separation from kinship groups:
– Kinship groups are vital in the aboriginal culture in that they tie clans and families together, allocating roles and responsibilities within a community.
– Separation from kinship groups, working systems, then meant that the aboriginal society lost its point of fixture and every personal affiliation became lamed.
– The complex interrelationship of social status, personal identity and health must be borne constantly in mind. When the kinship system is destroyed it members inevitably suffer from psychological distress such as withdrawal and depression where the individual has suffered a loss of identify this extends to the breaking up of communities and a spirit of solidarity.

The Stolen Generation:
Aboriginal children were forcibly removed from homes by government officials to be placed in missions or reserves such as the Cootamundra Girls’ Home between the 1900 and 1970’s as well as being adopted or fostered into white families if the children were ‘half caste’.

– Separation from elders: no generation to pass knowledge, language and traditions to. This results in a loss of identity and self esteem the Aboriginal culture deteriorated
– Kinship ties were broken resulting in a loss of identity where the young indigenous generation is lost in-between two opposing cultures in a struggle to find balance (see above)

Protection Policy:
– Removal of Aboriginal children from their families under the pretence that they were living in an ‘uncivilised’ environment followed by placement into missions and reserves

Assimilation Policy:
– 1951: Forced integration of Aboriginal peoples into white society through abandonment of their traditional beliefs and practices.

Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (1996):
– Issued the ‘Bringing them home’ report which told of the horrific conditions Aboriginal children were forced to face

Randox

HSC
N/A
no worries omed

Discuss how Aboriginal spirituality is determined by the Dreaming
– kinship
– ceremonial life
– obligations to the land and people

The Dreaming is the foundation of Aboriginal spirituality, providing a basis upon which kinship systems, traditions, rituals and ceremonies are built.

Kinship is a complex system of belonging and responsibility within a clan based on familial and totem relations that govern daily Aboriginal life by determining clan issues. The dreaming has in itself prescribed the peoples kinship ties and permeates throughout the system by:

– assigning responsibilities to transmit knowledge of the dreaming from elders to younger generations
– providing the basis on which aboriginal society is structured on; maintained since the beginning of the Dreaming
– defining spiritual and temporal identity to the aboriginal people
– Kinship is also expressed through Totems which identify one’s kinship line and provide the individual with a direct link to sacred matters.

Ceremonial life:
The complex and spiritual core of the Dreaming and Dreaming stories for each group is recognised and revered in ceremonial life, encompassing performance of rituals at sacred sites, the drawing of sacred symbols and corroborees.

Rituals heighten the presence of the Dreamings:
– Link the present world to the Dreamtime

Art is used to communicate the dreaming:
– By providing maps of the land; clans, sacred sites, waterholes etc.
– Used to pass on sacred knowledge

Stories describe the Aboriginal law and lifestyle:
– Describe how ancestral beings move through land creating nature
– Provide foundation for Aboriginal existence by explaining creation and sharing how dreaming shapes daily life
– Used as a form of oral history

Totems represent individual as they existed in the dreaming:
– Form of animal, plant or natural phenomena
– Links individual and ancestor spirit
– Totems carry ceremonial responsibilities (balance rights)

Obligations to land and a people:
Land is of great importance because:
– Aboriginals believe that people were created from the earth which has existed since the beginning of time and that it is therefore the sacred motherland, ‘My Country’

Dreaming is inextricably connected to the land because:
– The land is the context of the Dreaming stories, a constant around which their spiritual world revolved.
– Land provides the foundation for Aboriginal beliefs, traditions, rituals and laws

Ancestral beings dwell in the land and therefore:
– The people have a responsibility to keep and respect the land
 E.g. If travelling, the aboriginal people must be careful not to enter the sacred spaces of other clans. This shows the interconnection that exists between obligation to the land and a people.
 E.g. The people of West Arnhem Land, in the NT, believe that the MiMi rock pictures were painted by The MiMi Spirits thousands of years ago. This allows them to understand the relationship they have with the Dreaming, their country and their ancestor spirits. These relationships determine responsibilities between people.
Who's omed?

Kowther

HSC
I've already had two people ask me what's going to be in the exam tomorrow/what we have to study...

Are you kidding me?

DJ696

HSC
Can I use the ten commandments for inner peace on Christianity?
Also, what would we write about in world peace? :)

Kowther

HSC
Can I use the ten commandments for inner peace on Christianity?
Also, what would we write about in world peace? :)
Yes, you can :)

A sample essay we got did, as well that I used the five pillars in my peace essay

DJ696

HSC
Can someone tell me what would we right about for world peace on the two religions and can we use the 10 commandments for Christianity for inner peace and world peace? :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
What I'd find favourable tomorrow

Inner peace for two religions

christianity essay on something general where you can include person/practice/ethics

I'd be a happy man :)

DJ696

HSC
What I'd find favourable tomorrow

Inner peace for two religions

christianity essay on something general where you can include person/practice/ethics

I'd be a happy man :)
Inner peace on tomorrow would be so good!
Also could we use baptism as a inner peace example? :)

Kowther

HSC
Also for world peace, I would talk about war and peace (so jihad/internal jihad, Christian Peacemaker team, Muslim Peacemaker team etcccccc)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Inner peace on tomorrow would be so good!
Also could we use baptism as a inner peace example? :)
sorta

you could say that Christians are made in the image and likeness of God, initiated through baptism and since God is merciful as seen through "insertversewheregodsayshe'smercifulandweshouldbelikehimtoo", that it is a perpetual goal for Christians to become merciful in the quest for peace etc

not really necessary tho

DJ696

HSC
sorta

you could say that Christians are made in the image and likeness of God, initiated through baptism and since God is merciful as seen through "insertversewheregodsayshe'smercifulandweshouldbelikehimtoo", that it is a perpetual goal for Christians to become merciful in the quest for peace etc

not really necessary tho
Okay thanks :D haha
Just needed to be sure :)
Inner peace I'm set for both religions!
World peace currently revising!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)