• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Students to be taught there isn't a God in Victorian schools (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
dont-ban-me-plz said:
no not really. why all the fuss about burning and getting rid of religious literature? there is no real reason for it anyway. remove all religious schools and stop funding religious schools and that will set an already already growing atheist/secular motion. there is no real need for soviet style violence in Australia.

THe truth is Aussies are simply not into religion - except at Christmas presents time and Easter eggs time.

modern day Christianity has a huge 'exclusivity' issue. It's the domain of the wealthy or upper middle-classes.

Just take a trip to your local church and its car-park (if its still open) on a Sunday, and you can instantly see the socio-economic groups that attend.

sooner or later Christianity/ religion will simply be non existent in Australia. why is there need for a violent revolution?
I'm saying that the right to choose to have religious education, is as fundamental as my right to religion in any sphere. I don't really see how religious education is any different whether it occurs in the school or in a church. If you're going to ban one, you might as well ban the other. What is important is the right to choose, and that indoctrination isn't forced upon anyone unwilling.

Let the free market dictate the nature of and how much religious education I receive.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Kwayera said:
Why does there need to be one?
Well I already outlined my neocon credentials, but further to that i've obviously said that there just is one. We have a soul which filters truth from falsity and good from evil. We can ignore its warnings and eventually have it corrupted from all recognition, but I powerfully believe that there are moral absolutes and we should not be so fascist as to corrupt developing children by teaching them to systematically ignore the holy spirit and the truth of Christ

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
Well if it's some fascist atheist parent who is not keen on this particular knowledge reaching their child's ears, then you cant expect the child to oppose that.
But you have no problem facist Christian parents doing this?

Iron said:
Youre just planting the seeds of doubt against any preconceived weeds the child has inherited from birth - surely that's what education is all about.
Better than blindly accepting. Doubt is good, doubt leads to questions, questions, lead to answers. Yes i encourage everyone to doubt everything, then make up their minds on the subject. Isn't that what education is about, answering questions?

Iron said:
There's a very ugly Nazi book-burning, medieval ring to this kind of denial of knowledge.
Who I really feel for are the children who may face ostrasization because their parents happen to be religious, happen to be active in their parish, and happen to send their children to a public school.
Please, as a Christian you should be the last person accusing anyone of censorship and intolerance. But, to be fair, Shit happens, no side is innocent.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Look, no one believes that a child is going to be a life-long convert if you give them a few neutral lessons about the concept of God. An entire Catholic schooling is dicey enough in terms of retaining believers. But these are deep philosophical questions. It would be a disgrace if our public education system whimped out on genuinely discussing the meaning of life, even in broad terms. Not everyone goes to uni - for many kids, this may be the only opp theyll have to be safely introduced to material of the upmost importance to the type of life theyll lead

nikolas

HSC
Iron said:
Look, no one believes that a child is going to be a life-long convert if you give them a few neutral lessons about the concept of God. An entire Catholic schooling is dicey enough in terms of retaining believers. But these are deep philosophical questions. It would be a disgrace if our public education system whimped out on genuinely discussing the meaning of life, even in broad terms. Not everyone goes to uni - for many kids, this may be the only opp theyll have to be safely introduced to material of the upmost importance to the type of life theyll lead
Keep the opportunity open, but don't shove it down their throats or and take time away from education.

sstr

HSC
nikolas said:
Keep the opportunity open, but don't shove it down their throats or and take time away from education.
You must have a funny definition of education.

It's not about shoving anything down anybody's throat. Whether God exists or not is up to each individual to decide, by drawing conclusions from the available evidence (or lack thereof) of God's existence. But regardless of whether or not God exists, surely you agree that at least a basic understanding of the concept of God, which has so thoroughly influenced our society and culture, is important? If not for a deeper understanding of our own cultural heritage, surely a basic understanding of God and the various religions would be beneficial in a world where billions of people follow Christianity and Islam (especially given that the latter is experiencing a massive resurgence). If God does not exist, that fact in itself is not a case against religious studies.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
dont-ban-me-plz said:
no not really. why all the fuss about burning and getting rid of religious literature? there is no real reason for it anyway. remove all religious schools, stop funding religious schools AND GET THE CHURCH TO PAY TAXES and that will set an already already growing atheist/secular motion. there is no real need for soviet style violence in Australia.

THe truth is Aussies are simply not into religion - except at Christmas presents time and Easter eggs time. heck, modern day Christmas and Easter has an iota of relevance to Christianity. only through technicality.

modern day Christianity has a huge 'exclusivity' issue. It's the domain of the wealthy or upper middle-classes.

Just take a trip to your local church and its car-park (if its still open) on a Sunday, and you can instantly see the socio-economic groups that attend.

sooner or later Christianity/ religion will simply be non existent in Australia. why is there need for a violent revolution?
AGREED! :)

zstar

HSC
N/A
The church is a dying institution and I suppose sooner or later these clergymen will have to find a real job.

P.T.F.E

HSC
Kwayera said:
Do you? And do you know why those dates are significant in particular?

Lol.

The point is that morality, ethics and philosophy are not mutually inclusive with religion. It's time it was taught that way.
yes im a practicing catholic and attend chuch weekly, i also atttend a catholic school.
we are taught a lot of useless info but sometimes we are taught things that just make u belive. i am not fully into God and addmitt i dont commit my life fully to him but if u take the minuite to prayer or hope i believe he is there.
so i no the dates and the facts quite well

also goin to a catholic school forced to do studies of religoin, although it is the most boring thing (snore) u learn some interesting things, such as others ethics beliefs and such, interesting to note most are quite similar.
but the western world (prominate of christian faith) is becoming more secular where as islam is spreading quite rapidly so doesnt how much u dont think god is real religion will always b there, conflict from religion hopefully wont, but it looks like a future with no christianity

Last edited:

P.T.F.E

HSC
y dont government school especially primary just have like spiritual fulfilment classs where meditation, and discussion occurs. even if is about space and astrology. it just helps grow the part of the brain that many reject. lets not impose biasis beliefs on these children, could even open them up to teach them about other religious holidays besides CHRISTAMS even teach them what christmas is all about.
we all wonder y we are here hence y reaserch is occuring evryday to find the answer and as u get older God becomes less real, for me, its because nothin else magical and mystical has been real(such as santa). y should this, our society has logical explanations for our existance. to teach there is no evidence is a load of shizzle there is plenty of evidence therefor they may have to change it to there is no proven truth of religion. lets just place petrol on the fire y dont we.

I SAY LEAVE IT ALONE, SPITIUAL FULFILMENT WOULD BE BETTER, NO ACTUAL RELIGION BEING IMPOSED ANS NO SHUT DOWNS BEING IMPOSED.

zstar

HSC
N/A
sdent40 said:
Because without God there is no truth, no morality

It all becums relative!

You need be on your medication.

Tristanator

HSC
Damn, teachers already have to teach the kids about the birds and the bees, safe sex, personal hygeine, healthy eatting and drug education.

At what point are they learning maths/science/english?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
P.T.F.E said:
yes im a practicing catholic and attend chuch weekly, i also atttend a catholic school.
we are taught a lot of useless info but sometimes we are taught things that just make u belive. i am not fully into God and addmitt i dont commit my life fully to him but if u take the minuite to prayer or hope i believe he is there.
so i no the dates and the facts quite well
Apparently not. Easter and Christmas were pagan holidays (and Easter reflects it in the name: it was a celebration of Eostre/Eastre, a Germanic fertility goddess); they were chosen by early Christians as a convenient date to celebrate Birth/Resurrection of Jesus because people were ALREADY celebrating, and it undermined the original pagan holidays themselves. Jesus was not actually born/resurrected (according to "dates" given in the bible) on the days Christians have chosen to celebrate it, which kind of makes the dates meaningless.

P.T.F.E

HSC
Kwayera said:
Apparently not. Easter and Christmas were pagan holidays (and Easter reflects it in the name: it was a celebration of Eostre/Eastre, a Germanic fertility goddess); they were chosen by early Christians as a convenient date to celebrate Birth/Resurrection of Jesus because people were ALREADY celebrating, and it undermined the original pagan holidays themselves. Jesus was not actually born/resurrected (according to "dates" given in the bible) on the days Christians have chosen to celebrate it, which kind of makes the dates meaningless.
well der there not the acurate dates, in Christs time they lived to a completely different calender. he was actually predicted to be born and don't quote me on this but around july.
And easter changes all the time in unison with the moon because christ was crucified and resurected on the 2nd full moon.
so plaese dont try and be a know it all its definately not working for u.

HSC
P.T.F.E said:
well der there not the acurate dates, in Christs time they lived to a completely different calender. he was actually predicted to be born and don't quote me on this but around july.
And easter changes all the time in unison with the moon because christ was crucified and resurected on the 2nd full moon.
what a fucking joke of a post. srsly. try harder.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
P.T.F.E said:
Lol, you have no idea what you are talking about.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Kwayera said:
Lol, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Don't waste your time on that PTFE retard. Her posts in the Math section already has demonstrated her retardation and attempt to appear intellectually superior failing at epic proportions.

PS. whats the links to the blogs you read again? thanks :eek:

HSC
tommykins said:
Don't waste your time on that PTFE retard. Her posts in the Math section already has demonstrated her retardation and attempt to appear intellectually superior failing at epic proportions.

PS. whats the links to the blogs you read again? thanks :eek:
ROFLMAO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)