Student Work Placements are Beneficial (1 Viewer)

michelleanne

HSC
Just would like to let everyone know that if you have the option of a subject that has a student work placement then do the subjects.

One of the courses I have finished is a bachelor of healthscience degree and one of the third year subjects involved a student work placement. My placement centered around community development.

Due to the expereince of the workplacement and the reference and referee they gave me... I now have just been offered a job for a community centre coordinator. Personally, having had the student workplacement in my final year made all the difference.

So if u want an advanatage when u finish ur degree, try and complete all the subjects that have some sort of work based learning...it ca really make a difference.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I have to do 400 hours as part of my course. I think that I might start during the work experience during the between semester holidays. But yeah, it will definately help getting jobs in the future and also, some courses (i know applied science does) requires you to complete a certain amount of hours of work experience.

klh

HSC
is this thing part of the Co-Op stuff? the $1500 dollar vacation work stuff? like do you get paid?
also, was it real work??
i did IT VET at school and they sent us to this lousy comp shop and all i did all week was dust cdroms and shoo flies.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol. Its kinda like the vet courses at high school, except now you can do more stuff and you can get into much bigger companies. My course co-ordinator said that its real work - damn :p but then we get a really good reference ... but unforuntely I have to do 400 hours before I graduate :(

klh

HSC
as long as they let me wear casual, id like to have experience.
now whats 400 hours like? a looooong time?
at least you get some, the co op thing requires applications and stuff.
and are you selected based on your marks. IT support people [my old degree] got experience but went to big companies/councils if you have good amrks or in certain cases, were friendly with the cooridinater, while the lower lot got to go to schools and stuff.
it might bew a good way to network with them, and be friendly do you have contacts etc. [oh, youve already said that]
real work is cool, i did IT VET and its no wonder i changed courses!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Whats this co-op thingo your yapping on about? Never heard of it.

400 hours = 10 weeks.

and I have to do it cause its some stupid applied science thing.

klh

HSC

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
oops ... obviously I don't pay attention to whatever crap the uni sends me :p

I'd leave it til the last semester, but its better to do it during the holidays so we don't miss out on classes. Anyway, we get enough holidays to cover 400 hours :p

michelleanne

HSC
The student work placement that i did was real work.

I was placed at the Mountains Community Resource Network at Lawson.

I was working on a mental health community and cultural development project that focussed on those in the recovery process of mental illness. I attended one or two days a week for the whole semester, and well as doing three other subjects, and assessment for that subject. The subject is a work based unit so therfore, it is compolsury to do the placement.

In the time I was there, I worked on program and activity planning and organising for Mental Health Week, Working on a community consultation activity, being part of an ngo mental health consultation and heaps more of community development work.

It was fantastic and very enjoyable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)