student flights & STA (1 Viewer)

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
do they actually make it cheaper for you if you want to book a flight or a hotel, or is it just best to do it through virginblue.com.au (for flights) or lastminute.com.au (for hotels)?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Its much easier to book via the airline website. Especially for Virgin.

Also check Virgin BLue between 12pm-1pm and check out the "Happy Hour Hot Deals"

Where are you travelling to?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Much cheaper going direct to the airline/hotel that you intend to fly/stay with (I've just been through this with booking flights/accom for Thailand).

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
STA aren't as great as they're made out to be, I just grabbed my travel insurance through them and even that ended up being with someone else

Kayak is probably the best I've come across for flights, wotif for hotels

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
milocole said:
Its much easier to book via the airline website. Especially for Virgin.

Also check Virgin BLue between 12pm-1pm and check out the "Happy Hour Hot Deals"

Where are you travelling to?
Melbourne
do you mean flights between 12-1pm or go to the website at 12-1pm?

bazookajoe said:
STA aren't as great as they're made out to be, I just grabbed my travel insurance through them and even that ended up being with someone else

Kayak is probably the best I've come across for flights, wotif for hotels
thanks

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
PFFTT don't bother with student flight agencies or any (big name) travel agencies, they're there to make commission and lots of it. I usually would book online for flights, unless its a long trip (Europe/flight transfer/etc) then you should head for travel agencies, but I suggest you visit a few of them and compare the prices, PLUS go to the local travel agencies, and stay away from big name company agencies.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Well if you are flying Sydney-Melbourne-Sydney, they dont usually put these on Happy Hour because this is a route where they make their most profit from.

Still book via Virginblue.com.au, dont go near any travel agents or so for just Domestic flights....

5233andy

HSC
Martyno1 said:
Melbourne
do you mean flights between 12-1pm or go to the website at 12-1pm?

thanks
With DJ's Happy House specials, they only apply to selected routes. If you're interested, visit the website between 12PM - 1PM. The specials are usually boxed up and dressed in red.

Better yet, subscribe to the online newsletters that the major airlines have. They often have weekly specials that may be exclusive to online customers. I should warn you that these sites often come with a catch that you may not notice. Should you opt for the cheaper fares, the site may embed a cookie into your computer to ensure that your return flight is the more expensive option but dressed as the cheapest option.

This issue occurred with JQ's recent JetSaver Light fares - 1c from Sydney to Port Macquarie (Or was it DJ?). The return trip basically compensated for the 'losses' made through the 1c offer.

Also, be aware that some fares do not include airport taxes and additional surcharges. Always read the fine print so that you don't end up with a jack in the box.

Peartie

HSC
chicky_pie said:
PFFTT don't bother with student flight agencies or any (big name) travel agencies, they're there to make commission and lots of it. I usually would book online for flights, unless its a long trip (Europe/flight transfer/etc) then you should head for travel agencies, but I suggest you visit a few of them and compare the prices, PLUS go to the local travel agencies, and stay away from big name company agencies.
I agree - Especally for domestic flights it just isnt worth using travel agents

although if you are going to use one (i did for my flight to Europe because it actually turned out a little cheaper for some reason...) i suggest getting quotes from several places then going somewhere like Flight Centre - its what I did - even though I got a cheaper quote from some reandom travel agent Flight Centre matched it and then beat it...I then also got a discount on my travel insurance...

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Thanks for the help everyone. Going to book via virginblue after I check out this happy hour business.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
5233andy said:
With DJ's Happy House specials, they only apply to selected routes. If you're interested, visit the website between 12PM - 1PM. The specials are usually boxed up and dressed in red.

Better yet, subscribe to the online newsletters that the major airlines have. They often have weekly specials that may be exclusive to online customers. I should warn you that these sites often come with a catch that you may not notice. Should you opt for the cheaper fares, the site may embed a cookie into your computer to ensure that your return flight is the more expensive option but dressed as the cheapest option.

This issue occurred with JQ's recent JetSaver Light fares - 1c from Sydney to Port Macquarie (Or was it DJ?). The return trip basically compensated for the 'losses' made through the 1c offer.

Also, be aware that some fares do not include airport taxes and additional surcharges. Always read the fine print so that you don't end up with a jack in the box.
It was Virgin here that forced our computers to make the return more expensive. Proves that Virgin is no true Low Cost Carrier. I managed to grab 12 Lots of Jetstar 1cent fares from Avalon-Sydney-Avalon (fast wireless internet guys, and other ways..) and there was fares both ways, but last week when Virgin has Melbourne-Mildura-Melboure for $2, you had to buy the fares seperately otherwise the way back was $109.:pain: . Anyway,a $4 daytrip in a E170 is a cheap day out, and get another Virgin Promo Tee-shirt to add to the collection!! Not to mention my first Embrear Flight!!!

But as I said, I usually check Virgin's happy hour(for some NZ deals..),every day whilst on the net during my lunch hour, and have never ever seen Melbourne-Sydney. Because its one of their most profitable routes, and they want high yields, not low leisure yields like Melbourne-Gold Coast would provide....

IMPORTANT. Forgot to say, but seing we are on Daylight savings now, and Virgins systems/operations/base are all controlled in Brisbane, Happy Hour is on Between 1pm-2pm in EST states. Otherwise as per normal elsewhere, but have no idea what timeframe peoples over in SA and WA live in..

Last edited:

5233andy

HSC
milocole said:
It was Virgin here that forced our computers to make the return more expensive. Proves that Virgin is no true Low Cost Carrier. I managed to grab 12 Lots of Jetstar 1cent fares from Avalon-Sydney-Avalon (fast wireless internet guys, and other ways..) and there was fares both ways, but last week when Virgin has Melbourne-Mildura-Melboure for $2, you had to buy the fares seperately otherwise the way back was $109.:pain: . Anyway,a $4 daytrip in a E170 is a cheap day out, and get another Virgin Promo Tee-shirt to add to the collection!! Not to mention my first Embrear Flight!!!

But as I said, I usually check Virgin's happy hour(for some NZ deals..),every day whilst on the net during my lunch hour, and have never ever seen Melbourne-Sydney. Because its one of their most profitable routes, and they want high yields, not low leisure yields like Melbourne-Gold Coast would provide....

IMPORTANT. Forgot to say, but seing we are on Daylight savings now, and Virgins systems/operations/base are all controlled in Brisbane, Happy Hour is on Between 1pm-2pm in EST states. Otherwise as per normal elsewhere, but have no idea what timeframe peoples over in SA and WA live in..
Random question, but do people actually fly to their destination for a day-trip? Like... all in all, the total travel time, including the one hour pre-departure time, would be a minimum of four hours.

It's a shame that DJ haven't installed the Live2Air IFE on the Embrear jets. However, in any circumstance, I'd stay safe with QF, as ironic as it may sound, I simply do not like the notion of having to purchase meals onboard and no IFE, regardless of the duration of the flight.

On the topic of Virgin Blue, their 'Premium' Economy seats are of great futility. It's simply an empty seat that separates passengers...

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I know Virgin are struggling to sell their Premium Ecomony sears, mainly because they are charging too much..

On my dayrips that I encounter, I see alot of people, especially on the Avalon-Sydney-Avalon route, returning on the same flight as me as from the beggining of the day. If you can get a cheap fare with JQ, most people go up shopping for the day, while I go up looking at planes for the day.....

I prefer flying LCC's cause I dont want all that horrible meal stuff and then pay mega prices, Id rather pay my 19.95 airfare, and buy my own food, and pick my own seat.......

5233andy

HSC
milocole said:
I know Virgin are struggling to sell their Premium Ecomony sears, mainly because they are charging too much..

On my dayrips that I encounter, I see alot of people, especially on the Avalon-Sydney-Avalon route, returning on the same flight as me as from the beggining of the day. If you can get a cheap fare with JQ, most people go up shopping for the day, while I go up looking at planes for the day.....

I prefer flying LCC's cause I dont want all that horrible meal stuff and then pay mega prices, Id rather pay my 19.95 airfare, and buy my own food, and pick my own seat.......

You go on interstate day trips? Perhaps I should try it someday. A while ago, there was the issue of non-allocated seating with JQ. That would've been hell, especially if you're travelling with family. Have you got any images or videos of your plane spotting?

Sorry, but the last time that I went to Victoria was a couple of years ago, prior to the emergence of JQ. Is Avalon the equivalent of Wollongong or Newcastle in NSW?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
milocole said:

12 tickets? 1 cent fairs?
What did you do to all of it?
How you get it so quick? I also have wireless broadband with my laptop and can't get those flight tickets :(

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
just got return flights flying virgin and qantas for $175 :D lucky i waited a few days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)