Stuck?? Probability Question (1 Viewer)

FcUk

Dam i hate this topic i cant get one question right....help if you can please

Q) Peter and Sue play a game of chance. Two cards are drawn, without replacement from a bag containing five cards numbered 1,2,3,4,5. Peter wins if the sum of the numbers exceeds six. Sue wins if the sum is an even number.
(i) What is the probability of a tie (i.e. the sum is both even and greater than six)?
(ii) Who has the greater chance of winning outright?

any other tips for this topic would be appreciated as i can seem to do any question except the easy ones

Cheers

EDIT: Also anyone who has forumlas for the volume and surface area and knows where i can get them please lemme now

Last edited:

FcUk

smallcattle said:
i) 1/4

lol.. actually i dont know if im right or not. im crap at prob as well
lol could u explain how u got that?? actually ur wrong haha the answer says otherwise

sub

i) 1/(5C3) - ie 5 choose 3 (on calc)

cos the only way for it to be even and greater than 6 is to choose 3 & 5. and total possible ways of choosing two cards is 5C3...

cant be fckd doing the other...

but its a simliar process...work out possible ways that work, over the total ways...

little trick if u see it somewhere: if it says probablity of aleast one or something like that...use [1 - P(event doesn;t happen at all)]
other than that i suk at prob as well...its random - no pun intended :)

superbird

HSC
why the hell are u confusing them with using C on the calculator. thats 3 unit maths not 2unit

Binky

god, how the hell do you do that?
i'm stuck on a probability question at the moment too, it's enough to bring you to tears.
i'm just about ready to give up on probability.

sub

FINE!!! write all the possibilities out...i dunno how to do it any other way...its easier for me this way...

FcUk

I now get the first one but im still having trouble understanding how they got 3/10

sub

i thought so too...some ppl dont appreciate help when they get it *pouts*
fcuk...just list out the possiblitiies...for one find how many ways to get 4,6 cos u cant get 2.
and then work out the ways of getting a 7...cos thats the only possiblility - 8 is a tie
goodluck and i hope THAT helps some ;)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
use the tree for all results. count the no. of times a tie can happen, and put it over the total no. of results.
for who wins outright, just count up how many times each can win... the higher one has more of a chance.
hope that helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)