Structuring units of study/Degree (1 Viewer)

nick1689

HSC
Hey guys Im doing a B Social Science this year, and Im a bit confused on how USyd allows you to structure your units of study.

In B Social Science, apart from the core unit of studies, you have to major in one social science major and one major in humanities. Ive already chosen the social science major Im going to do(Government and International Relations) and for humanities I will probably end up majoring in Islam and the Middle East.

I am, however, really keen to dabble in other various junior units of study in other subject areas, such as in Studies in Religion, Asian Studies and maybe others. My question is, would I be able to pick up these junior units from humanities for a semester without ruining how my degree will be structured? Or do I have to pick from the beginning what subject area Im going to major in and only pick units of study from that subject?

Im thinking that I may be able to do this, but Im worried Im going to go over the maximum amount of credits Im allowed to do (if there is one, I know the requirement is atleast 192 credits), or if it would take longer to complete the degree than the time the degree originally gave you. Or would taking extra units, outside of the subject area that you ae going to end up majoing in, increase the time you spend at Uni per week?

Thus (for lack of a better word) Im confused on how this all works, even after going over the USyd website. Any help will be great! :D

Edit: Also, just remembered something else, with the units of study that you can choose to pick up in Government and International Relations, on this website: http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/arts/07_aa_introfac.shtml#govern , it lists the units of study you can do in the subject. However, on the same page from a different link http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/arts/09_uglistings.shtml, which describes each unit of study, it neglects to describe some units that were listed in the previous link I posted, such as GOVT2772 Israel, Palestinians and the Arab States. Does this mean that this unit is not running? Or is there just no description for it?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
nick1689 said:
I am, however, really keen to dabble in other various junior units of study in other subject areas, such as in Studies in Religion, Asian Studies and maybe others. My question is, would I be able to pick up these junior units from humanities for a semester without ruining how my degree will be structured? Or do I have to pick from the beginning what subject area Im going to major in and only pick units of study from that subject?
You'll have some electives which you can choose from anywhere in the faculty (or outside the faculty, if you wish). Have a look at the structure on this page, the light blue boxes are electives.
nick1689 said:
Edit: Also, just remembered something else, with the units of study that you can choose to pick up in Government and International Relations, on this website: http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/art...c.shtml#govern , it lists the units of study you can do in the subject. However, on the same page from a different link http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/art...listings.shtml, which describes each unit of study, it neglects to describe some units that were listed in the previous link I posted, such as GOVT2772 Israel, Palestinians and the Arab States. Does this mean that this unit is not running? Or is there just no description for it?
The longer list is all the units within the GOVT department, the shorter list is the units that are running this year. So the ones that don't have a full description won't run in 2008.

nick1689

HSC
Triangulum said:
You'll have some electives which you can choose from anywhere in the faculty (or outside the faculty, if you wish). Have a look at the structure on this page, the light blue boxes are electives.

The longer list is all the units within the GOVT department, the shorter list is the units that are running this year. So the ones that don't have a full description won't run in 2008.
So the light blue boxes, are they electives that you are able to pick up outside of your major?

I noticed in your sig that you are doing Ancient History and Government. When I first came to picking my majors I was going to do both of these majors, but I always thought that Ancient History would be a bad combination with Government because they are pretty much two different strands. If you dont mind me asking, where do you plan to take your degree, with those majors, career wise? I always thought that it would be best to match up majors that are compatible, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

morganforrest

HSC
Yes and no I suppose.....most people really only do 1 major AFAIK...

Though having said that I'm doing Government and Political Economy so mine are quite related. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to pick different subjects, helps to maintain interest etc

Remember though that some 2000 and 3000 levels will require prerequisite 1000 level subjects so you should at least give some thought to where you want to take a major.

:)

nick1689

HSC
I would like to do Poltical Economy, but B SSCI doesnt let you choose it for your humanities major, as far as I know. How many junior units (1000 level) can you do each semester? I would just love to do other units that would not end up being part of my major.

I should just go early on the enrolment day and just ask around shouldnt I aye?

What have you guys been enjoying most about Government? Where do you want to take your career morganforrest?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
nick1689 said:
So the light blue boxes, are they electives that you are able to pick up outside of your major?
Yep. They don't need to be in those positions in the structure - the uni doesn't care what order you do your units in as long as you do the right number - but those are how many you can do.
nick1689 said:
How many junior units (1000 level) can you do each semester?
No limits on junior units per semester, as long as you don't go over the overall limit on junior units for the degree.
nick1689 said:
I would just love to do other units that would not end up being part of my major.
Be aware that once you get into the senior portion of the degree, up to 3 of the 6 units making up your major can be 'cross-listed', which means that you count units from other subject areas towards your major. There's a list on the Arts website somewhere saying what units can be counted to what majors.
nick1689 said:
When I first came to picking my majors I was going to do both of these majors, but I always thought that Ancient History would be a bad combination with Government because they are pretty much two different strands. If you dont mind me asking, where do you plan to take your degree, with those majors, career wise? I always thought that it would be best to match up majors that are compatible, if you know what I mean.
I honestly have no particular career goals with my arts degree. I might end up doing my PhD or another degree, and see where I go from there. I suppose government and international relations is a bit career-oriented, but as there are millions of people who choose to do it because it sounds glamorous and sexy, the competition is fairly high (at least for the obvious jobs like in DFAT). As for similarity of majors - if you're aiming towards a certain career area, having two majors that complement each other and match that career area (like ancient history and classical archaeology, or sociology and cultural studies) could be handy. But I don't think it's necessary in all circumstances - mixing up your degree helps to prevent boredom and gives you an escape route if in third year you suddenly discover that you really hate [name of subject].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)