Structure of Harwood Essays (1 Viewer)

Berneh

HSC
hey guys...i m SO stuck on how to structure my harwood essay...

my teacher says we hav to integrate the different critical readings...ive got the first paragraph down...but how do i go on from there?...do i go by each stanza?...the main points or wat?? IM CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED...plz SUM1 HELP MEEEEE!

lgaica

HSC
ok ok calm down, i hope this helps

intro:
refer to the question, mention harwoods context, influences and the texts you will be talking about, and the readings you will apply to them

2nd paragraph
you may want to refer to harwoods body of work, rhyme structure, key ideas, and how they relate to her textual integrity

3rd paragraph
start on your first poem, and mention what readings you can apply to it, and perhaps give a background to these readings, so if you're doing modernist, you might say "harwood identified with the modernists, who wished to fill the existential void through creativity" or whatever. use lots of examples, quotes, techniques, and the effect of the technique and how it relates to the different readings you will be using, and harwoods themes.

preferably introduce the poem and separate the readings into different paragraphs.

so you might to:

INTRO

GLASS JAR:
- reading one
- reading two

THE VIOLETS:
-reading one
- reading two

CONCLUSION

you should do at least 2 readings of each poem, but it also depends how many poems you are asked to refer to. if asked for 2 poems perhaps do one poem with 2 readings and the other two poems with 1 reading.

dont forget throughout to mention harwoods textual integrity, as this is crucial to this module

Berneh

HSC
thanks heaps for the help :) i think im starting to get it ..:S appreciate it :)

lgaica

HSC
gaga said:
wth is textual integrity
textual integrity is where the combined work contributes to the whole, like how Harwoods poems are concerned with similar themes and ideas and are the "product of one mind", its kind of difficult to explain....

Ellzz

HSC
Actually, regarding structure, i was wondering if it is better to integrate the poems in the essay or just state ur stuff in separate blocks.

Right now i'm integrating, but that will be hard if BOS decide to specify.

So wat do u guys think? Integrate or separate?

kloudsurfer

HSC
I have found that integration doesnt work well for me with the Harwood poems. I generally integrate stuff, but i find that in this module in order to critically analyse a poem you should look at it as a whole.

But you can still make links between the poems, eg: "Like 'The Violets', 'At Mornington' explores the significance of memory and the passing of time...." or something like that...

yonitamarie

HSC
What Is Textual Integrity?!! And Pleeease Dont Tell Me Its Hard To Explain!! I Already Know It Is! Pleeeeease!

appleide

HSC
example sentence from some random introduction "Harwood uses devices of textual integrity to emphasis XXX". If you use "devices of textual integrity", you don't need to use a list "irony, metaphor, symbolism" to make your point; The examiner won't look down on you.

Btw.... Is there a better structure than those suggested?

eg.

Intro

P1: Patterns of Imagery and Structure allows responders of diff. contexts to ~~~

P2: Setting and narrative allows responders of diff. contexts to ~~~

P3: What is the third one?

Conclusion

??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)