Structure of ethanol (1 Viewer)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Cool, thanks.

I've noticed that different diagrams have the thick lines in different places...

I think our teacher told us it doesn't matter where we put them...

not too sure though...

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Those dotted lines give the molecule a 3D shape. It's showing you the tetrahedral structure of the CH3- and -CH2OH sections of ethanol.

Don't worry about the lines. :p They don't mean anything other than the above. I don't know whether the thick lines mean it's at the front and the dotted lines mean it's at the back or the other way around.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Those dotted lines give the molecule a 3D shape. It's showing you the tetrahedral structure of the CH3- and -CH2OH sections of ethanol.

Don't worry about the lines. :p They don't mean anything other than the above. I don't know whether the thick lines mean it's at the front and the dotted lines mean it's at the back or the other way around.

Thanks for that :)

It triggered a memory of what our teacher was trying to explain to us in a lesson last year. He said that it doesnt matter where exactly it is you place the thick and dotted lines (not entirely sure if that's right or if i'm remembering right.. hmm) and that there isn't a "front" or "back" since the molecule is always spinning, the front becomes the back and vice versa :D

anarchron

HSC
Essentially all the lines that link the atoms are covalent bonds. The bold line and the dotted lines are there to give it a 3D coordinate (something to do with VSEPR molecule structures).

By the way, if you must know, the Oxygen atom actually has two other lone pairs branching out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)