strictness, relationships (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
u can please other ppl all u want, but u may not be happy

i still dont buy that "u dont know any better" approach to manipulating ur family and their choice of ppl in their life.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
capsicum said:
i know for a fact that asian parents (mine and many of my friends) are really strict on relationships in Aus. they tell their kids not to have boyfriends/girlfriends until they've finished studying - and this isn't just the HSC, this is like finishing uni, getting a job and working for a little while. it's like they don't understand the point of experiencing relationships. mine think that the first relationship is the one you should stick with throughout life.

it's so unfair cuz they don't understand that sometimes having someone there for you is much better than being alone all the time...
yes. I know. asian parents suck when it comes to this kind of stuff.
argh, I agree with point dexter, I can't speak my chinese dialect properly, so I never come out at all well in an argument. (which dialect? - I'm assuming not canto)
with veanz for having a go at the idiot bimbo. rep coming your way.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Parental strictness I think is pure crap, it is based on parents not trusting their children to be responsible for themselves.

As for the culture issue, I think its just that azn parental strictness is more readily identified partly as a product of xenophobia eg its easier to see faults in others backyards than our own. In this way I think that some white parents are as strict as some azn ones are.

Some examples I can draw are several of my frinds two both have inter-racial families both the fathers azn both mothers anglo. In the first case my friend is banned from having any girl friends until after his HSC and there is alot of pressure on him to perform. The funny thing being that these restrictions and expectations are from his mother.

In the second case my friend has very little restriction on what she does goes to heaps of concerts etc no pressure to perform but she has grown up in a combative intellectual environment where open discourse on anything is encouraged.

The third case is a friend from a Anglo familiy, parents have broken up fathers over-seas he lives with his mother she is incredibly protective and pushing, often in seemingly oppsing directions eg you need more social life and don't go out as much, study more.

Fourth example is my gf: african father, anglo mother small l liberal upbringing. Has always been very independant and down what she wants when she wants. Has always had to take responsibility for her actions. As a note until about two years ago she hadn't seen her dad in seven years, she met him via a chance meeting at a servo. When her parents split up, she basically never saw her father again until a couple of years ago.

Finally myself, anglo parents, still together. Strange system of declining limits, as I get older and push for less limits they evaporate.

Ok I lied about finally. In answer to one partner controlling the other, I do things she doesnt agree with she does things I don't necaserily like, I don't like her being in situations where I cant protect her, if she thinks that I'm just being paranoid then she'll do it anyway. I dunno its hard to explain but tehre are unspokens, I don't do some things she doesnt do some things.

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
chinese[like 3 dialects.. ] and malay..
i can do 3 out of 4..

yer i just try realli hard.. cos im interstate .. i just talk to them on the fone in chinese.. and if i got a problem i try to describe it to them before they tell me.. but dun try to argue on their home ground.. ull be whipped.. lesson learnt lolz

haha azn pride.. my hs buddie got shut down cos he would shout tat shit at our aussie mates.. esp his 'krn pride'.. and squattin is a thing that most asians do well.. srsly.. a doctor told me that..
wOah 3/4?!? shit.. i was in woollies wiht my mum having trouble explaining to her in vietnamese the difference between yogo and chocolate mousse!?! bah.. :confused:

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
santaslayer said:
Squatting is cool....its a sexy pose. :p
eww ew i hope that was a sarcastic comment .. seriously .. :eek: haha it's funny though to see someone squatting getting a little shove and landing on their arse .. but anyways ..

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
belly_moo said:
thats the thing i don't get.. how so many of those try-hards [not sayin that you are lol] out there squatting infront of galaxy on george st can boast about their "azn pryde".. like wtf?! i just don't get it ...
hurrah youve just described me .... im as azn pryde homie thug life as you can get....
squatting is art... hell its more than that its a sport!
i dont really squat but i do if the ground is hectically dirty or i dont wanna get my pants dirty....

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
belly_moo said:
wOah 3/4?!? shit.. i was in woollies wiht my mum having trouble explaining to her in vietnamese the difference between yogo and chocolate mousse!?! bah.. :confused:
thats exactly the same as me... except i dont speak viet... but chinese...
and thats why my parents dont ask me what the difference between two products are... they know i cant explain it :p

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
Orange Juice said:
hurrah youve just described me .... im as azn pryde homie thug life as you can get....
squatting is art... hell its more than that its a sport!
i dont really squat but i do if the ground is hectically dirty or i dont wanna get my pants dirty....
haha if so, then why aren't you hanging around john street, cabramatta or galaxy world right now instead of posting posts on BoS?? .. not a 'homie thug' thing to do really haha :rolleyes:

ughk today i somehow got gum on the back of my pants.. this was not from squatting [i'm not a squatter].. damn chewing-gummed circular quay benches o_O n i only sat down ONCE today .. bummer..

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
belly moo, i aint gosta answer to you, im a azn pryde thug lovin home boy... ask anyone!

that kinda sucks, i think the only way of getting gum off is freezing it and then like... kick the shit out of it

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
belly_moo said:
thats the thing i don't get.. how so many of those try-hards [not sayin that you are lol] out there squatting infront of galaxy on george st can boast about their "azn pryde".. like wtf?! i just don't get it ...
It seems like those "azn pride" talks would only happen with ABC's... or yeh "try hards" as someone said before.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Strictness in relationships? My parents are asian and they beleive that the word "relationship" will not exist in my vocabulary until after uni. they freak out at the thought of my viet cousin dating a chinese boy in first year uni "omg.. why chinese for?" but are accepting of her brother (who is also in first year uni), dating a half chinese girl/half viet. it simply does not make sense. I dont know how my parents would react when i tell them i am dating a non-asian, since i've been brought up the tradiational asian way: going to language school on weekends, going to temples, visiting relos, eating viet - so typically i am the "cultural viet girl". i dont mind my culture, i'd just prefer not to have it this way living here in australia, and as vinnie posted earlier, i will never grow up to be like my parents in their views on life and that promise also includes never ending up like my parents who don't show any affection to each other. They dont understand the fact that what worked on them will not work for me. a simple example is studying. they beleive that the more shit they give me and bad comments, the more studying i will do-which is ultimately not true. i dont beleive that keeping customs will work because we have such a multicultural society. i see my caucasian friends and their parents-theyre like best friends. my parents and i never talk and i'm not suprised either as their stricness has led to me being distant from them. my brother is close to my parents and dwells in their attention because he is allowed to do whatever he wants, although he is seven, i see so many major differences in how he and i were brought up. i would think by now, after raising me for 17 year, that they would finally figure out that their methods of strictness do not apply to me, yet they still impose such rules. i guess some things never change...

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
(^o^) said:
It seems like those "azn pride" talks would only happen with ABC's... or yeh "try hards" as someone said before.
It's the opposite for me and some of my ABC or brought up in Australia friends, we all talk in english, occasionally make fun of 'lah's, wei's, aiyah's' :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
kimmeh said:
Strictness in relationships? My parents are asian and they beleive that the word "relationship" will not exist in my vocabulary until after uni. they freak out at the thought of my viet cousin dating a chinese boy in first year uni "omg.. why chinese for?" but are accepting of her brother (who is also in first year uni), dating a half chinese girl/half viet. it simply does not make sense. I dont know how my parents would react when i tell them i am dating a non-asian, since i've been brought up the tradiational asian way: going to language school on weekends, going to temples, visiting relos, eating viet - so typically i am the "cultural viet girl". i dont mind my culture, i'd just prefer not to have it this way living here in australia, and as vinnie posted earlier, i will never grow up to be like my parents in their views on life and that promise also includes never ending up like my parents who don't show any affection to each other. They dont understand the fact that what worked on them will not work for me. a simple example is studying. they beleive that the more shit they give me and bad comments, the more studying i will do-which is ultimately not true. i dont beleive that keeping customs will work because we have such a multicultural society. i see my caucasian friends and their parents-theyre like best friends. my parents and i never talk and i'm not suprised either as their stricness has led to me being distant from them. my brother is close to my parents and dwells in their attention because he is allowed to do whatever he wants, although he is seven, i see so many major differences in how he and i were brought up. i would think by now, after raising me for 17 year, that they would finally figure out that their methods of strictness do not apply to me, yet they still impose such rules. i guess some things never change...
*tear* That was so well said. Here have an oscar :p

I dont think i can really comment too much upon this matter anymore than, the stereotypes with which parents impose can be broken, it just needs a few easy steps first and the utmost ability to be open with them and so be trustworthy. That i think has been what has helped me the most during the 13 years since we moved here and that my parents, both really the typical asian parent cast, have come around and seen otherwise :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
See i dont see the point in doing that, (not telling the parents) are you ashamed or something ? IF you're going out with someone, i dont want to hide the fact i am, and moreso i dont think love and relationships is a thing to be hidden. But i do accept that my situation is probably a lot different from many other asians and their parents so :)

I guess what rocks your boat.:p

But i do believe that no matter how much they say they hate the idea of you dating etc, that they will not forcefully make you break up etc. It might take some time but i think that they will come around.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
RCMasterAA said:
It's the opposite for me and some of my ABC or brought up in Australia friends, we all talk in english, occasionally make fun of 'lah's, wei's, aiyah's' :)
i actually think its more abcs are azn pryde (like me) but i mean its not because their abc their like that... its because of where the grow up... eg if your in cabra and all you have is fobby friends... then i predict a azn pride approach on life...

lengstar

HSC
AsyLum said:
See i dont see the point in doing that, (not telling the parents) are you ashamed or something ? IF you're going out with someone, i dont want to hide the fact i am, and moreso i dont think love and relationships is a thing to be hidden. But i do accept that my situation is probably a lot different from many other asians and their parents so :)

I guess what rocks your boat.:p

But i do believe that no matter how much they say they hate the idea of you dating etc, that they will not forcefully make you break up etc. It might take some time but i think that they will come around.
my close friend's parents are trying to buy her out of a relationship by saying they'll buy her a car if she breaks it off with her boyfriend.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lengstar said:
my close friend's parents are trying to buy her out of a relationship by saying they'll buy her a car if she breaks it off with her boyfriend.
lol that's crazy
"choose, the car, or the bf"

Kulazzi

HSC
most curry parents are strict. It depends on how strict your family is really. Mine's really strict, no bf/gf (also from religion), but a girl I know at school is from similar background, just a different area of that country and she has a bf :rolleyes:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Kulazzi said:
most curry parents are strict. It depends on how strict your family is really. Mine's really strict, no bf/gf (also from religion), but a girl I know at school is from similar background, just a different area of that country and she has a bf :rolleyes:

I once went out with an Indian chick.

The amount of time she spent trying to not get caught, making us go all the way to the city or hornsby when we went out because her parents might shop at chatswood, not wanting me to call her home phone etc.

I pretty much got sick of it and told her that it wasn't gonna work unless she told her parents because they always find out in the end. She struggled to find the courage so we broke up soon after. If she wasn't going to have the confidence/courage to admit to her parents that she wanted to be with me and try and make them accept it then I didn't want any part of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)