Stressing about ranks!! (1 Viewer)

gerable

HSC
Hey guys,

I just need clarification with rankings. There is so many differing perspectives on moderation and HSC marks ( Scaling, aligning), i'm just looking for a clearer understanding. I've know how the top ranked student for school assessment will receive the top HSC mark from their cohort. However I just want to present a scenario to you guys, i'm so confused after reading the moderation page on BOSTES.

General Mathematics

Student A - Ranked 3rd/64 in course with mark of 90/100
Student B - Ranked 15th/64 in course with mark of 80/100

HSC Exam

Student A gets an exam mark of 91
Student B kills the exam and gets 3rd in cohort with a mark of 93 -

So what happens to Student B's school mark ?
Can someone please explain what if a poorly ranked like 30/70 odd students gets the top mark/ or one of the top in the HSC what happens - Do they keep that HSC exam mark and what happens to their school mark.

I know I shouldn't really worry about all this, I just want to know what happens. Because my current ranking in General is 23rd/64 with 55% left, I know i can get up into maybe top 10 due to the deviation from the top and myself currently.

I just need some hope really, I've been revising since we recently got our midcourse back to improve my Maths. I've calculated even if i get 100% in the remaining tests, one more than trials ( Which is extremely unlikely) I can get a school mark of 88.

Thanks guys

deboiz

HSC
Well you keep your hsc mark of 93, and then your school mark will be 'roughly' the school mark of the guy who came 15th, let's say.. 83. So then your final HSC mark is the avg of 83 and 93, thus 88.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^
not entirely the case
1. Student B's assessment rank stays the same. If the cohort performs well then assessment marks are moderated up.
2. The pool of marks and the averages are set to the same as the hsc exam marks.
3. First they set the highest exam mark as the maximum assessment mark (and same for the lowest*)
(*if appropriate, sometimes they bump it up, if say someone got 0, they don't give the lowest rank 0 typically).
4. Between highest and lowest, a graph is obtained, converting your assessment mark into its final assessment mark.

GoldBoa

HSC
If you have 30 minutes to spare, this video might be helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)