Stressing about Mathematics... (1 Viewer)

deviousgeek

The Game.
HSC
Hey guys,

I ace all my subjects except for Mathematics and next year, I wish to do two unit maths (Only because of the fact that the uni courses i want require 2uM).

At our school, 2uM requires an intermediate level of achieved maths in the Year 10 School Certificate, which i am very doubtful i will achieve. (I know, putting yourself down makes the situation worse)

So, i was wondering if I should either try and get into two unit maths or do general and a bridging course at University. However, those bridging courses are cover two years worth of maths in 12 days! :S
If i choose two unit maths and are unable to do well in it, then my UAI will be poor.

Any suggestions?
Thanks. :)

rolror88

HSC
N/A
I would suggest working hard to achieve the mark for SC.. And if you do get that mark which allows you to do 2 unit maths, and if its too hard you can always drop down to general (in either year 12 or next year). It'd open up your options for next year if you do well in SC (if you know what I mean)

smushieex

HSC
Try 2unit first, then if you find it too hard, drop down to general.

DALiE. (:

HSC
N/A
rolror88 said:
I would suggest working hard to achieve the mark for SC.. And if you do get that mark which allows you to do 2 unit maths, and if its too hard you can always drop down to general (in either year 12 or next year). It'd open up your options for next year if you do well in SC (if you know what I mean)
what he said. :)

And i'd also suggest being more optimistic about math. Study math with a positive attitude (i know, easier said than done) but seriously if you convince yourself you are going to do shit then you will.

Besides, math SC is pretty simple and basic so it won't be hard to get a band 4+.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Gaah I'm in the same situation.
Well, sort of.
I'm average at maths, I enjoy it (don't LOVE it, but enjoy the satisfaction of working out a problem in a logical way), but yeah, marks aren't at the top (about 85%) Its required for any science though, so I'm doing it next year. Hopefully I do ok!
SC maths is easy as long as you go over every topic. The questions they ask are simple, just be sure you revise the methods. :uhhuh:

And I agree with the positive attitude thing. Through years 7-9 I had a terrible attitude to maths, never did homework, just thought it was boring, and as a result, my marks were probably averaging 65%. This year I've changed my attitude and my marks have improved a lot! Power of positive thinking ey :lol:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
deviousgeek said:
Hey guys,

I ace all my subjects except for Mathematics and next year, I wish to do two unit maths (Only because of the fact that the uni courses i want require 2uM).

At our school, 2uM requires an intermediate level of achieved maths in the Year 10 School Certificate, which i am very doubtful i will achieve. (I know, putting yourself down makes the situation worse)

So, i was wondering if I should either try and get into two unit maths or do general and a bridging course at University. However, those bridging courses are cover two years worth of maths in 12 days! :S
If i choose two unit maths and are unable to do well in it, then my UAI will be poor.

Any suggestions?
Thanks. :)
My initial suggestion: DON'T DO MATHS. (Look at my sig)

My next suggestion: Do General.

My next next suggestion: Do Mathematics, drop to General or drop altogether if you so desire.

My last (and most favoured) suggestion: Drop it and do a BRIDGING COURSE! That is what I shall be doing If I ever need it.

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Winged maths so bad and at least got a big Band 4. We started 2 unit maths in year 10 but I paid no attention whatsoever. Just do it in year 11 and if you find the preliminary course too hard then you shouldn't do it.

suzlee

HSC
I think you should try your best for SC Maths and get into 2U. Then you have the choice to go down to general.

TBK11

HSC
i assume your in Standard yes? 5.1
anyway the best thing for the SC work hard to build yourself up to Mathamatics do alot of practice questions get the hand of all the formulas follow examples go to the best of your abillity and Aim High

alot of people say they suck at maths but once you get the hang of it its easy as Pi = 3.14159265
:)
work your way up put all the effort you can in Maths if all else fails do general maths or maybe get a maths tutor next yr to help yourself depending on what ur doin

DutchessDeluded

HSC
If you think maths is reallyy hard 4 u then atleast do general cause EVRY subject in Uni needs maths an i no ppl who didnt do it 4 their HSC an their struggling...so the best is to just try an atleast get sumer.:read:

suzlee

HSC
DutchessDeluded said:
If you think maths is reallyy hard 4 u then atleast do general cause EVRY subject in Uni needs maths an i no ppl who didnt do it 4 their HSC an their struggling...so the best is to just try an atleast get sumer.:read:
Um
That's totally not true. Where did you get that from?

Pedophiles

Banned
HSC
Look right, anybody can do well in 2U maths. It's really simple. The most part of the course is just rote learning formulas and applying them to really general questions. I suggest you do 2U maths, and do EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF HOMEWORK/CLASSWORK YOUR TEACHER SETS. Seriously, I can't stress that enough.

I'm like you, I'm really bad at maths. And to make things worse, I started to slack off in maths and not do my homework because I found it really hard. That's where I went wrong. Just stick with it, and don't give up on it like I did.

DutchessDeluded

HSC
suzlee said:
Um
That's totally not true. Where did you get that from?
isnt it???cause dats wat alot of ppl tell me...sorry if its not:)
im not a big fan of maths myself so i guess that helps ME out..lool

HSC
Yeah if you want to be, say an English teacher, lawyer or journalist or do a Bachelor of Arts, then no, Maths is not required at all (see my signature too)

suzlee

HSC
Yep, what want2beasenior said :p
Mathematics is often a prerequisite for a lot of science-related courses like medicine and engineering. But certainly not ALL uni courses.

DutchessDeluded

HSC
want2beasenior said:
Yeah if you want to be, say an English teacher, lawyer or journalist or do a Bachelor of Arts, then no, Maths is not required at all (see my signature too)
hmm yeah...but isnt there lik all thos small subject that u do that atleats 1nc u will cross maths???

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
DutchessDeluded said:
hmm yeah...but isnt there lik all thos small subject that u do that atleats 1nc u will cross maths???
No, not really. But in all uni courses, knowing how to spell and write properly is important... something you're not really demonstrating that well :)

Iain Hewitson

HSC
supercalamari said:
No, not really. But in all uni courses, knowing how to spell and write properly is important... something you're not really demonstrating that well :)
Hahah. That wasn't very nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)