strength of acids and bases (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
CM-tutor: oops i didn't see the "teacher" status :) but i see it now.hehehe
Yeah, Lazarus 'promoted' me about a month ago :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
No. Arrhenius definition is still based on the formation of new ions from a net uncharged, covalently bonded molecule, so it's still an ionisation - in fact, the first example I wrote of ionisation uses the Arrhenius definition.

Oh well, alchemists will certain hold more BBQs - they just won't de free to first years! :p
ohhh.... and because NaOH is ionically bonded instead of covalently bonded, therefore, there are already charges on individual ions before they dissolve in water, right?? that's y they are called dissociation ^^

mg, visitin bos frequently does help, aprt from i had to stare at screen at fisher for 5 hrs straight =( pffttt

*whines

my eyes r sore ='(

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Well, it is helpful to think of acids as creating new ions of H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup> when you dissoolve them. H<sup>+</sup> do not exist by themselves and must bind to water. Hence ionisation.
In bases like NaOH, there is no new ion created when you dissolve it. You only break the ionic attraction. Hence dissociation.

Turn down brightness and contrast. :p Mine are very sensitive so I usually turn them right down.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by BlackJack

Turn down brightness and contrast. :p Mine are very sensitive so I usually turn them right down.
lolz, reminds of a jk on my usyd diary:

y ain't there a knob on tv which controls intellegience?? there's one called brightness, but it doens't work... =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)