Story Idea - Belonging or not? (1 Viewer)

sarahdee

HSC
Okay, so I have an idea for a short story for my exam in a week. But I've been sick so my head is still a bit groggy and can't subjectify myself and critic whether my story is relevent to Belonging.

Maybe as I articulate my ideas, I may realise myself, ha.

So I have this guy all proud (yet subconsciously anxious) in a room which he describes to be a prison cell. He speaks of this seductive "woman" he is in love with. How he is still in control, though. Yada yada yada. We come to realise he is at an Alcoholic Anonymous meeting and he realises he does truly belong there and that he no longer wants to belong to this woman (the metaphor for the alcohol) and that he wants to take control and attain personal freedom.

Pretty crappy, but yeah, thoughts?

2009-Turner

HSC
Very nice.
Like the double meanings to the story.
Great idea- just need to write it correctly + try not to disguise the double meaning of the women to the alcohol too much so that the reader can attain that twist/meaning when he/she reads it.

lychnobity

HSC
So I have this guy all proud (yet subconsciously anxious) in a room which he describes to be a prison cell. He speaks of this seductive "woman" he is in love with. How he is still in control, though. Yada yada yada. We come to realise he is at an Alcoholic Anonymous meeting and he realises he does truly belong there and that he no longer wants to belong to this woman (the metaphor for the alcohol) and that he wants to take control and attain personal freedom.

It's above average. It could work, but there's a cliche feel to it somehow. The Alcoholics Anonymous twist adds a nice personal touch.

Prison cell symbol? Again? You've got to be kidding me.

But then again, familiar ideas (done well) are often the better ones.

beve

Jesus
HSC
Okay, so I have an idea for a short story for my exam in a week. But I've been sick so my head is still a bit groggy and can't subjectify myself and critic whether my story is relevent to Belonging.

Maybe as I articulate my ideas, I may realise myself, ha.

Um. Have fun making a clear cut sense of "belonging" in that one. As for the alcoholism; I don't think it's such an easy thing to write about belonging to alcohol - you don't; you are merely addicted to it. is this person addicted to the woman?

i need sleep. heh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)