Stimulus booklet (1 Viewer)

Morgues

Came across a trial paper that asked something along the lines of
"how does change affect personal relationships"

ok skrzynecki poems support this, most related material supports this however what about the stimulus booklet?

I am guessing most people only studied sky high, door and the aboriginal pictures from there so which one could you write about regarding personal relationships :confused: :confused:

Christine

beige member
HSC
the door can be manipilated to suit any question. basically you could say that opening the door, exposing yourself and others around you who you have personal relationships with -you are causing change not only in your life but in other pples.

i think that makes some kind of sense - at least thats what i would do....

Christine- you're right about the door. It's a good one that can be used for any topic.
As for personal relationships: well, here goes
Sky High you can use for personal relationships, in this reflective piece, we're exposed to how the composer's perspective changes from a childhood perspective, to one that adulthood brings, however, in this, we are also looking at relationships-- the fact that she is now hanging clothes on the washing line is an indicator of a relationship, and the fact that she's got "too many things tying me to the ground" again, suggests responsibility which ultimately means that her personal relationships have varied with the change. The fact that she's reminiscing, shows that her past is still much a part of her-- and this affects/influences/shapes her personal relationships (whether these be relationships with other people, or even with herself)

The pictures both deal with personal relationships too-- I mean, it's the relationship between the aborigines and the european settlers, the change has affected the relationships. In the second picture we see the aborigines in the background behind corrugated iron-- this supports that they are both left in the past, and that there have been technological advancements. The relationship between the central aboriginal man in picture two shows change-- he has adapted to the white mans ways (the clothes, esp. the scarf) and he too, has left his heritage behind (his face is BEHIND a picture).

Maybe flimsy arguments, but if you're stuck, and the texts are specified, it's better than nothing.
I just don't know how FRACTALS can relate to anything at all.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I hope I read the question properly...

The Fractals piece represents two kinds of change... three if you're looking closely ;)

1. The technological change - it's a website, it uses hyperlinks, it's got a popup window, blah blah blah. Menus. Titles. All that contributes to a perspective shift - we're now transmitting information across a virtual medium rather than a physical tangible one.

2. Fractals is a sign of "the more things change, the more they stay the same"... although you can look at a Fractal from various perspectives (zooming in/out of parts of a fractal) you essentially have the same fractal. Or you could look at it the other way - by looking at one event or thing from multiple perspectives you end up with very different pictures.

3. This one is in the text of the piece and I was told this (ie I didn't read the text :). There's something about Mandelbrot, a brainy fellow who discovered a new type or form of fractal. This lead to changed perceptions of fractals - a new discovery always leads to society changing its opinions or beliefs.

There we go. Hope it said something relevant. :)

Originally posted by anti
I hope I read the question properly...

The Fractals piece represents two kinds of change... three if you're looking closely ;)

1. The technological change - it's a website, it uses hyperlinks, it's got a popup window, blah blah blah. Menus. Titles. All that contributes to a perspective shift - we're now transmitting information across a virtual medium rather than a physical tangible one.

2. Fractals is a sign of "the more things change, the more they stay the same"... although you can look at a Fractal from various perspectives (zooming in/out of parts of a fractal) you essentially have the same fractal. Or you could look at it the other way - by looking at one event or thing from multiple perspectives you end up with very different pictures.

3. This one is in the text of the piece and I was told this (ie I didn't read the text :). There's something about Mandelbrot, a brainy fellow who discovered a new type or form of fractal. This lead to changed perceptions of fractals - a new discovery always leads to society changing its opinions or beliefs.

There we go. Hope it said something relevant. :)
yes, I recognize this, but how is it related to "personal relationships"?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It's not, unless you make up some stuff about how technology limits personal/face-to-face interactions. Which I think is pushing it and you'd be better off using one of the other texts.

You could also use the theory behind fractals (that different perspectives lead to different readings or interpretations of a situation or text) to analyse one of your texts or perhaps to link Skrzynecki to one of your related texts.

BTW, I don't think they can specify which stimulus booklet texts to use, anyway, but I think they can guide us towards certain elements of texts. They just don't want us all focussing on a particular text, I guess.

Originally posted by anti

BTW, I don't think they can specify which stimulus booklet texts to use, anyway, but I think they can guide us towards certain elements of texts. They just don't want us all focussing on a particular text, I guess.
I don't think they can specify either. On the actual stimulus booklet it says:
"This booklet is a prescribed text. In the HSC examination students may be asked to refer to at least one text that they have selected from the stimulus booklet. "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)