• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Stimulus booklet - which ones relate best to Imaginative Journey? (1 Viewer)

Rosemary Chung

HSC
My past tutor suggested 'Journeys over land and sea' and because of what we've done at school, i think ill choose 'Ivory Trail'

But i havent actually done 'Journey's over land and Sea' at school, does anyone have anything on it n its relations to IJ?

And what is everyone choosing for IJ?

HSC
i chose ivory trail last year. visual reps are a less common one to pick cause not many people know visual techniques, so they pick the texts....

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Journey's over land and sea will use the images that the article has on the side and what imaginative thing that conjur in the responders mind perhaps? or likewise how this is wat the journey was perceived to be like by travellers?

the listing and vivid descriptions also used in it portray similar imaginative aspects.

LadyNightmare

HSC
I'm definatly using the Ivory Trail, because visual techniques are easier (I believe) to incorperate than the writing techniques.
Also you can make up a ton of stuff about the sand ripples, and the far away gaze of the boy, and the sun setting on the minatettes, night over the oldest culture (represented by sphinx & pyramids), then relate to to img. journies.

We didn't really cover Journies over Land and Sea to any great extent, but from what we did...
Physical journies can lead to imaginative journies, for example the sailors bring stuff back, then spin yarns about what they saw in different part of the world. Also, the specimins brought back can give those who see them imaginative journies.
Also, the use of the woodcuts of mythical creatures could show the reaches of the imagination.
Also, the text allows the responder to project them selves into the past (imagine)

That's really all I have... =/

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
I'm using Atwoods "Journey to the interior" it explores the imaginative journey of a writer. there are so many techniques you can talk about and I've found it to be by FAR the easiest one. just my opinion though

I'd be wary of using Ivory trial, because in terms of in depth anaylsis, only so much can be said. It's a pretty simplistic text

ponny

HSC
My english teacher said that using robert frost's poem can make some of the markers think its taking the 'easy way out'. It sucks that we covered that poem the most in class though..but i think if there is more variety in the text, no matter what if the marker will notice your ability to interpret different types of texts. They are pposed to be completely unbiased, but nobody is so..
Im going to use the Ivory Trail. There is incredible depth considering you can say whatever about what the imaginary journey is as long as you link it back to what is happening in the pictures.. and there's heaps of techniques in it too. Have a look in the notes section.
Also with the journeys by land and sea if you continue to link it back to how it is in the past, and that's imaginary. Also the pictures themselves are fantastical-insant imaginary journey! I havnt really covered this topic in class either thought..

oh well i hope i do ok in the exam on tuesday..

GOODLUCK EVERY1!

Kezalicious

HSC
Having a variety of texts works in your favour i think. Well that's what my eng teacher told us. Ivory Trail I find is easier to write about mainly because I'm a visual learner.
Since we do a study of Coleridge doing another text such as "the Road not Taken" in a way you're sort of cheatign because you're using the same techniques to write about. Although "Journey over land and sea" is not a poem is it? haha I say stick to what you know best, even if it's repetitive.

hey I know you ponny!, MONICA!!!! hahaha you're literally repeating what petilla said about HSC markers haha. good luck for art tmw! *hugs*

ponny

HSC
lol hey Kez..i ended up doin ivory trail 2 cuz of wat petilla said but yerrr...only 3 exams to go! gudluk in english part 2..
luv

~FeLiCiTy~

HSC
I agree for imaginative journey, ivory trail first up...but just as back up i would choose journeys over land and sea- few techniques/ parallel with tempest:
  • imaginative component evident in the word selection- 'exotic, pioneers, discover'- evokes the reader to imagine...
  • Further supported by the accompanying visual of a mythical creature portrayed as a monster (possible metaphor for unknown/ foreigners which links with tempest and Shakespeare's context + Caliban)
  • The image of the ship in background indicative of new explorers- once again link to historical context with Shakespeare
Hope it helps any1 this yr :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)