Stereotype Ads (1 Viewer)

Angel45

HSC
Heya guys,

Can any1 think of a print ad.. or ad on tv that relies on a stereotype to understand it... like "assumed knowledge"

Ta.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Those new Kantong Ads that make fun of 'Iron Chef' and Asians in general.

I'm ok with it though.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Haven't seen em.

Add to it:
Some Coca-cola/soft drink ads. Playing on European/mediteranean chicks

transcendent

HSC
N/A
The Eat Lamb Because If You Don't It's Un-Australian ad! That was one of the greatest ads to be made. You have to understand Aussie humor to find it funny! It's partly offensive that's what makes it funny.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i never thought about the fact that they were blonde.

i just thought that they wanted to satirise the fact that people with aesthetic beauty are lost or have sub-par intelligence.

what coke/soft drink ad? :S

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
That thrush ad...'love and commitment...that should've gotten rid of the guys.'

X

xeuyrawp

transcendent said:
The Eat Lamb Because If You Don't It's Un-Australian ad! That was one of the greatest ads to be made. You have to understand Aussie humor to find it funny! It's partly offensive that's what makes it funny.
That is probably my favourite ad. When I first saw it, I thought that some rogue meat company had hijacked the TV station and was broadcasting propaganda. :S

I hate the ads for something womeny where the men are portrayed as insensitive idiots. A lot of the ads imply that you need to be part of some girl's club to understand the hardships of going out with an ogre, or something. They're trying to appeal to the apparent universal trials of women everywhere. As if some tampon company pretending to sympathise with someone is going to get sales. ><

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I hate the ads for something womeny where the men are portrayed as insensitive idiots. A lot of the ads imply that you need to be part of some girl's club to understand the hardships of going out with an ogre, or something. They're trying to appeal to the apparent universal trials of women everywhere. As if some tampon company pretending to sympathise with someone is going to get sales. ><
May germaine greer strike you down in your sleep.

Haha it works both ways like the beer ads, campbell's soup and the holden 'is that all you want' campaigns.

But then, women used to be stereotyped much more although its changing now. This is going to make me sound like a chauvinist but the 'violence against women' ads might be taking it a *bit* far. Then again its all relative.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Okay the ocean spray cranberry juice add makes fun of those rich dumb girls, you know the kind of clueless daddy's little girl type. At the end of the ad, the girl has to ask..where do you put it (referring to the drink, as they had just been discussing colonics) ..then her friend goes..duh you like drink it..then the ditzy girl goes..oh shut up..... no idea if this helps but this is the first thing that came to mind.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)