statutory interpretation questions (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
hey fellow legalites i was wandering does anyone have any past statutory interpretation questions lying around or know where i can get a copy of some any uni is fine :) thankyou once again

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
eat your heart out on these ;)

UTS 'Legal Process and History' final exam papers :p

= Jennifer =

HSC
Frigid said:
eat your heart out on these ;)

UTS 'Legal Process and History' final exam papers :p

:eek: :eek: :eek: thankyou frigid so so so very much!!! I LOVE FRIGID!!! :)

i wish i could repay u some how, but i cant even rep u cause the BoS system says i have to spread more around :rolleyes:

Demandred

HSC
Okay, this is a response for the statutory interpretation question from Autumn 2004. Anyone criticisms? I found it extremely hard to write more than that. ( please ignore the spelling/grammar mistakes and legislations/cases will be underlined during the exam. :))

--------------------------

Under the narrow approached developed in Amalgamated Society of Engineers v Adelaide Steamship Company, Sam meets all but one of the criteria within the Wildlife Protection Act 2004 (NSW) (“the Act”). The word ‘wildlife’ defines as animals whose habitat is non-domestic, that is, does not live within the household. Ducks unfortunately are domesticated animals and could be trained under human guidance, as they live in a popular pond, it is highly likely that humans may contribute to the wildlife’s food. The word “poach: means taking animals from its natural environment, but the pond was not a natural environment, it was manmade along with the Botanic Garden. Thus, under the narrow approach, Sam is not liable under the.

However, in Kensington v Keprose, McHugh J established that should the wording of the legislature cause a grave injustice that was not likely to be the parliament’s intentions, than the current actions must be measured against the purpose of the act. The guidelines for this are outlined in the Acts Interpretation Act 1901 (Cth) (“the AI Act”). Under s15AA within the AI Act, intrinsic sources may be used to determine the purpose of the act. Within the statute, the aim of the act is to protect wildlife from being stolen and/or killed by humans. Extrinsic sources may also be used under s15AB on the AI Act; amongst the list of extrinsic sources listed are the second reading speeches. The second reading speech by the Minister who introduced the act stated that act’s intended provisions are necessary to maintain our ecological diversity of wildlife for future generations.

Thus, both intrinsic and extrinsic sources establish that the wording within the clauses of the statute does not fulfill the true intention of the act. The intention of the act was to prevent humans from abducting or killing animals so that future generations may enjoy its presence. Under this approach, the purpose is prevails, thus, Sam is liable for 30 penalty units under s8 of the Act.

--------------------------------------

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Demandred, you referred to the wrong interpretation act. NSW legislation are covered by the NSW interpretations act, Cth legislation by the Cth one. yes, i am well aware of s109 of the Constitution dear :)

accordingly, it should be s33, Acts Interpretation Act 1901 NSW, not s15AA of the Cth one.
s33 Regard to be had to purposes or objects of Acts and statutory rules

In the interpretation of a provision of an Act or statutory rule, a construction that would promote the purpose or object underlying the Act or statutory rule (whether or not that purpose or object is expressly stated in the Act or statutory rule or, in the case of a statutory rule, in the Act under which the rule was made) shall be preferred to a construction that would not promote that purpose or object.

Demandred

HSC
Oops. It's still valid isn't it, not the best of the two, but s109 still allows it.

Frigid, you do you have trouble writing a lot for stat interpret questions? I can't get more than one a4 page. 1 1/2 max if I can use those latin guides.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
studying contracts atmo, so can't write you a model answer.

basically you've got to expand your answer. therefore you have to consider:

Temporal and Jurisdictional Issues,
Definition and Interpretation of Offence Clauses,
Conclusions

from what i see, you've done the last two. you would get more marks if you wrote something to the effect of:

the Wildlife Act came into force on ..., a time which was before the alleged offence. The location of the alleged offence is within the jurisdiction of the legislation etc.

insert your analysis of the offence clauses here. might want to make it dotpoints. might want to comment on the applicability of latin maxims (eg noscitur a sociis, ejusdem generis) and if there are several interpretations, use s33 and select the one which promotes the purpose of act.

comment on why the course should recourse to the second reading speech (use s34 of NSW Act - confirmation/ambuigity?)

conclusions - make a definite conclusion, having taken all of the above into account. dun say under this method, we say yes, under this we say no. is Sam guilty or not? :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
wow! they give out past LPH papers? great! :p

hey frigid... it isnt a hard subject is it? coz im planning to bludge next semester ;)
its on the library website...

and please work hard for the subject. LPH needs work.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
http://law.anu.edu.au/lss/EDUCATION/HDANSWER/Foundations/2004.doc
http://law.anu.edu.au/lss/EDUCATION/HDANSWER/Foundations/2003s70.doc

These are just answers to two problems (without the questions, unfortunately for you). I left the rest of my notes and my bricks at home... Between those two responses, one was of a higher standard than the other (I'll let you guess which one though both aren't great IMO) but both got the same mark, 70 :p which equates to a D and the top 10% of the class at ANU. If one of the other ANU guys sees this, they may be able to help you with some more problems or model answers.

EDIT : Your lucky day, I remembered that they are on the net, I'll post them after dinner for you guys.

Ok, I can't add the third one because

1) The limit is 200K for a *.pdf
2) The limit for a *.zip is 100K

What the hell :(

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
... (I'll let you guess which one though both aren't great IMO) but both got the same mark, 70 :p which equates to a D and the top 10% of the class at ANU. (
Doesn't 75+ constitute a D for you guys?

omg_a

HSC
hey neo, did you hear (not sure if this is a myth or what) that torts is the most failed exam at anu? that and EMET? totally freaked me out when two people told me that the day before our torts exam. i'm really hoping its not true.

also, i heard our 70=D is meant to be changing to bring us into line with other unis. ???

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
omg_a said:
hey neo, did you hear (not sure if this is a myth or what) that torts is the most failed exam at anu? that and EMET? totally freaked me out when two people told me that the day before our torts exam. i'm really hoping its not true.

also, i heard our 70=D is meant to be changing to bring us into line with other unis. ???
I wouldn't be surprised, quite a few people who don't want to do law, but haven't been bothered to drop it (or couldn't because of Centrelink payments) stick around and fail their first semester courses. To be honest though, you'd think that the STAT courses would have a higher fail rate :rolleyes:.

Personally, I think that our torts exam won't be too hard to pass, but it will be harder to get in to the higher bands - since there was so many little things for you to pick up on, it should really seperate the good, the bad and the ugly :rolleyes:.

If they really wanted to bring us in line with other universities, perhaps they could increase the % of distinctions. 10% is pathetic. While some universities such as UNSW may have higher entry scores, their 30% average distinction rate boggles the mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)