erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
...are fun

- 81% of people have no understanding of what federation means
- 66% do not understand the federal/state division of power
- 69% cannot name the two federal houses
- 75% do not know senators are elected on a state by state basis
- 60% did not know the constitution can be changed (despite having to vote in referendums)
- 45% did not know what states do

1994 Civics Survey!

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pretty disturbing.

A healthy background to understanding how people vote, to be sure :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure even less people can name the two houses of the NSW parliament.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Wasn't labor in charge in 1994? You can't expect people to be educated/smart and vote labor in, so these frightening statistics are expected.

They should be greatful that they had enough intelligence to be able to fill out the survey.
haha mathmite. I'm sure you will be aware that it is the same population that voted in the Howard government in 1996 only 2 years later.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Legislative Assembly and... oooh mental block

council mathmite...council.

It's where Fred Nile habitates.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Well even stupid people could see the damage that Keating was doing and out of desperation elected Howard. What alternative was there? There continues to be no alternative which is why Howard can remain in power.
I'm sure you will be aware that there are much more recent statistics that are similar.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think that federation stat would be diminshed because of the big celebration of its centenary.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
exactly, and most australians would be paying attention to the media and would hear terms such as "sale of Telstra" to which the term "senate" would follow.. I think most Australians are now interested in that sort of stuff (well at least more than they would have been in 1994).

ahaha presuming alot there Mathmite. You mean no one talked about political issues before you became politically conscious tike...the media never mentioned the senate before 1996? You mean people were more politically apathetic than they are now? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?

:rolleyes:

I'd agree with aface in that I think the Federation celebrations would have increased awareness. However I dont think it would have educated Australians on why a federation is good, but rather that we are a federation. I guess its a start.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
Not really that surprising. Government and politics obviously aren't part of everyone's priorities, regardless of whether or not you believe they should be. Such is teh life.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
MasterP said:
Not really that surprising. Government and politics obviously aren't part of everyone's priorities, regardless of whether or not you believe they should be. Such is teh life.
And it is important for people well educated in law and politics not to get on their high horse and denounce those who aren't as stupid.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha. I just recalled the segment of Micallef Tonight where he got on a high horse to deride various products and people.
In the bin! <whip crack>

gerhard

HSC
It doesnt really matter about the actual exact statistics. I mean you could spend millions of dollars advertising the answers to all those questions and then the public would know them, but it wouldnt mean they were any less apathetic when it comes to politics.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
We went through a whole load of stats like this in our Intro to Pols course last semester, Iron may still have them lying around somewhere....

Suffice though to say that we are a pretty ignorant apathic lot.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ah yes. This was polling after 04 elcetion.
04 was Labor's worst ever result (~38%)

Took a 'good deal' of interest in the campaign: 38%(1998) 31%(2001) 30%(2004)
Watched great debate: 43%('98) 40%('01) 35%('04) [Idol was on]
Decided definitely how to vote during campaign period 51% - 41% - 39%

Left and Right 04
Liberal: 12% (Left) - 74% (Right)
Labor: 55% (Left) - 23% (Right)

Does it make a diff who's in power 04?
Big Difference: 36%
No difference: 7% (rest inbetween)

Did you care who won 04?
Cared good deal: 72%
Didnt care much: 25%
Couldnt give a stuff: 3%

-----------
Who is most recent ALP PM?
Whitlam: 1%
Hawke: 5%
Keating: 82%
Beazo: 8%
No clue: 5%

walrusbear

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
And the fact that there were certain dick heads who still followed labor like it was the "way to go" through out this period of uncertainty shows what a load of crap the labor supporters are. It's not that Labor offered them anything... They're just die-hard Labor fans. lol. Lame.
nice analysis

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
And the fact that there were certain dick heads who still followed labor like it was the "way to go" through out this period of uncertainty shows what a load of crap the labor supporters are. It's not that Labor offered them anything... They're just die-hard Labor fans. lol. Lame.
Alexander Downer, John Hewson, John Howard (first go), Andrew Peacock all those lame Liberal leaders offering nothing. Anyone supporting the Liberals through periods of uncertainty was a dickheads.

:rolleyes:

Anti-Mathmite said:
Politics didn't even exist before i became interested.. Nothing did for that fact. I was born, and the world started. Didn't you know that?
We will accept your admission of stupidity and move on.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Be thankful that when the gods made you a fool, they gave you a fool's face

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Admission of stupidity? What are you talking about? The world was created solely for my amusement everyone knows that. And if you don't know, you are a pagan.
I think most people treat everyone of your posts as amusment. Of the black kind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)