Statics (1 Viewer)

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
My name is a lie, statics are cunts. Does anyone else have a big fail next to statics? Do they? Or is it just usq statics. Run by some indian cunt with no comprehension of the english language or how to run a course.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Um, when I did statics we did dynamics too.

Statics was badly tought and everyone generally found it hard. Dynamics was even crazier though. I think they stopped teaching dynamics just to concentrate on statics. I always found vectors easier than geometric solutions. I had some dude fresh out of Iran who couldn't lecture and a tutor who was more comfortable speaking Mandarin.

What book are you using?

Last edited:

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
Engineering mechanics statics 11th edition by R C Hibbeler.

Looking at other unis and shit it seems they usually do it 2nd year at least? I did it as my 3rd unit, but only because thats what the recommended structure was.

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
staticsiscool said:
Engineering mechanics statics 11th edition by R C Hibbeler.

Looking at other unis and shit it seems they usually do it 2nd year at least? I did it as my 3rd unit, but only because thats what the recommended structure was.

2nd year for statics....dunno where you got that from. I thought statics would have to be taught in first semester in first year considering it is fundamental for engineering (well for the likes of civil and mechanical). The Hibbler text isn't tooooo bad, not great though. Though it depends on how you are being taught, were you guys getting the vector cross product shit to calculate moments for 3D structures? Cause there is a much easier way of doing it, especially for exams. For anyone reading this, if you have to do dynamics and your lecturer recommends a textbook by a guy named Ferdinand Beer, DO NOT GET IT. MOST USELESS BOOK I'VE EVER PURCHASED. I never used it. I got by on lecture notes and passed (nothing outstanding but the textbook wouldn't have saved me either).

doink

Clone
HSC
passed it mate! got a D in dynamics too.

I use Engineering Mechanics: Statics Meriam and Kraige 6th Edition . Statics is first year cuz second year you get into the proper shit like fluids, structural and mechanics of solids.

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
congrats on your D...i got one too but im at adelaide uni so that's probably a fail in the real world :p. yeah ive got all the fluid, structural and solid mechanics to do next year. i just saw 2nd year and for a second was like wtf..statics in 2nd year.

boris

Banned
HSC
Fucking fail. I hate that indian cunt. Anyone else do it by distance? Such a cunt of a thing to do.

Miner

HSC
nimrod_dookie said:
congrats on your D...i got one too but im at adelaide uni so that's probably a fail in the real world :p. yeah ive got all the fluid, structural and solid mechanics to do next year. i just saw 2nd year and for a second was like wtf..statics in 2nd year.
You did well to pass Dynamics, the fact you did makes your result outstanding from what I've been told about the fail rate this year.

Last edited:

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Oh firstly I must correct something, my D was referring to statics. I got a P for dynamics. It was damn hard this year, though dynamics is always hard.

However, since Adelaide changed many of its courses from 2 to 3 units, additional content had to be added to these courses to warrant awarding 3 units for completing the course. Dynamics fell victim to this and the additional topic (Moment of Inertia) was poorly taught and students were extremely confused. Our assignments are entered online via a server called Flying Fish and you need to be able to answer all the practice questions before proceeding to the assessed questions. Some of the practice questions touched on the final topic and the lecturer actually posted solutions to these questions before the due date so we could do the assessed questions. I appreciated this help BUT if he had taught the topic properly, there would have been no need for this. Upon looking at the solutions, they weren't overly difficult but there was no real correlation between the lecture notes and the questions. Our lecture notes just showed a million derivations of moment of inertia and no real problem solving techniques. Plus in the final lecture, the lecturer ran out of time and never finished the notes, which had some problems which had incomplete/no solutions. This was annoying because we were scheduled 3 lectures a week but in even numbered weeks, we only had 2 lectures. If we had that third lecture in Wk 12, the topic would have been finished and might have become clearer.

The tutorial on the subject was crap, my tutor just wrote down a few random things and told us to look at it in our own time, which is a tad difficult if we don't understand the content. However, this was common with my tutor, who used to just spit out random numbers on the board with little explanation. However, since his tutorial was at a convienient time for most students, it was popular and might explain why grades we so low this year. We finally were given tutorial and lecture note solutions, the Wednesday night before the exam, which is crap if you had an exam Wednesday afternoon and then another exam on Friday before the dynamics exam on Saturday. It would have been nice to get them during SWOTVAC, where some understanding could have been developed. Then there was an exam question worth 21 out of 102 marks on the topic and I'm still trying to find anyone who was able to do anything more than calculate the moment of inertia of the cylinder in the question!

I remember the lecturer saying that in 2006 that the course only had a 48% pass rate and lecturing us on committment but I have to say that maybe he should look at his lecturing. He is a nice guy but to have such low pass rates is to be questioned. He is dealing with an intelligent student base (we have to be intelligent to get into engineering, especially with the maths and physics pre-reqs) and it is in second semester, so most have adjusted to uni. I'm a good student, yet only managed a pass. In my time at uni (I've been at uni 2 years, cause I transferred into mining mid-2007) and out of the 15 subjects I have done, I have achieved 2 HD's, 9 D's, 3 C's (all 72% btw, so close to D's) and 1 P, so I'm a decent student. The lecturer is capable but I believe too reliant on his printed notes. In the momentum and impulse topic, he did a lecture where he wrote out his own notes as he went and it was really good. I understood the topic and had no trouble with the assignment. If he had used the same methods for his other lectures, dynamics may not have been such an overally dire result.

boris

Banned
HSC
Got results. Failed statics lol
credit in design.

so thats 2 Ds and 1C and 1 F so far

Deadhead

HSC
N/A
I got a HD in Stat but it was honestly the worst subject I have ever, ever done (excluding maybe english and useless subjects like that back in school). So dry and boring and our lecturer was shithouse (must be something about statisticians), she did try to make it seem relevant by including 'real world' examples, but because most of her life has been spent playing with statistics I don't think she knows very much about the real world. Our tutor was worse, she put up some excercises from our text books on a white board and then sat staring at us while we did them. Occasionally she would come over to me to see if I was doing them or not but she pretty much ignored everyone else (I must look really dumb or something).

But yeah, worst subject in the world, very boring and shite if you can avoid it, do, if not, HAHA... I shouldn't laugh, I have another unit of stat to do in a few years:skip:

Miner

HSC
Deadhead said:
I got a HD in Stat but it was honestly the worst subject I have ever, ever done (excluding maybe english and useless subjects like that back in school). So dry and boring and our lecturer was shithouse (must be something about statisticians),
LOL Statics (physics) and Statistics (Maths) are two very different subjects.

Statics - The branch of physics that deals with physical systems in equilibrium, in which no bodies are in motion, and all forces are offset or counterbalanced by other forces.

Statistics - The branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, organization, analysis, and interpretation of numerical data. Statistics is especially useful in drawing general conclusions about a set of data from a sample of the data.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: Statics

Miner said:
LOL Statics (physics) and Statistics (Maths) are two very different subjects.

Statics - The branch of physics that deals with physical systems in equilibrium, in which no bodies are in motion, and all forces are offset or counterbalanced by other forces.

Statistics - The branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, organization, analysis, and interpretation of numerical data. Statistics is especially useful in drawing general conclusions about a set of data from a sample of the data.
What about statistical mechanics (although it seems to tie in with thermodynamics).

boris

Banned
HSC
I still maintain that i would have passed if my learning materials and textbooks had turned up less than a month late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)