States in chemical equations (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
can you please explain to me the difference between the states (l), (aq) and (soln) seen in chemical equations?

Also, what is the difference between aqueous and non-aqueous solutions? Do they both dissolve stuff and such?:confused:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
Hey guys,
can you please explain to me the difference between the states (l), (aq) and (soln) seen in chemical equations?

Also, what is the difference between aqueous and non-aqueous solutions? Do they both dissolve stuff and such?:confused:

aqueos is when the solution is in ion form
generally (aq) and soln mean the same thing tho aq is more commonly used

a non-aqueos solution is purely just water i think??

l is the pure liquid

kini mini

HSC
(l) - liquid form of the element or compound

(aq) - compound/element has been "dissolved" in water, and is presumably ionised to some degree.

(soln) - never written in an equation AFAIK! It's a common abbreviation for "solution", that's all.

Also, what is the difference between aqueous and non-aqueous solutions?
Aqueous - contains water, non-aqueous - doesn't contain water.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Re: Re: States in chemical equations

the word aqueous is derived from the latin word aqua which means water.
Originally posted by kini mini
(soln) - never written in an equation AFAIK! It's a common abbreviation for "solution", that's all.
what do you mean? i have seen it written in equations a few times in different books.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Re: Re: Re: States in chemical equations

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
the word aqueous is derived from the latin word aqua which means water.
what do you mean? i have seen it written in equations a few times in different books.

.. don't use it

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Re: States in chemical equations

I don't remember ever seeing it in an equation :confused:. I've looked at Conquering, Pathways, Contexts, Atkins, Zumdahl...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
(l) just means substance is in liquid form by its self; (aq) means substance in solution with water; (soln) means substance in solution without water.

i forgot to answer your question earlier...hope this helps:)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
look at ConqChem Page 8...
I never noticed that either. I guess the fact that they have used (soln) and (aq) in the one equation emphasised the difference between the two.
But do you think they would seriesly mark you down if you used (aq) for all solutions?

mannnnndy

chocoholic
why do say that mannnnndy?
Because Ive never used it before, and besides the conq chem book Ive never seen it used so I dont think its a very widely used notation. Id stick with (aq) instead. I dont think you'll be asked about non aqueous solutions though, because even in uni you dont see them very much.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
That makes it easier.
What I was also wondering was, if you leave out all the states does that mean everything is aqueaous?
I remember someone mentioning that to me, but they didn't sound to sure.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by mannnnndy

Because Ive never used it before, and besides the conq chem book Ive never seen it used so I dont think its a very widely used notation. Id stick with (aq) instead. I dont think you'll be asked about non aqueous solutions though, because even in uni you dont see them very much.
fair enough. even if you were gonna use it, it'll be pretty difficult to actually find a substance to use it with.
Originally posted by marsenal
What I was also wondering was, if you leave out all the states does that mean everything is aqueaous?
i don't think so. if there is a rule like that, then most of the books would be wrong. because they got equations with no states and that not all substances are aqueous. i think the only time you can assume a substance is aqueous without actually stating it, is when the substance is written as an ion, because ions can only exist in solution.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by marsenal
That makes it easier.
I remember someone mentioning that to me, but they didn't sound to sure.
If all the compounds on both sides of the equation are all aqueous then it means that no reaction actually takes place since as theyre all just ions in a solution. They would all just be spectator ions and just cancel out. Its kinda like getting salty water and adding more salty water to it, all you get is more salty water.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
i think the only time you can assume a substance is aqueous without actually stating it, is when the substance is written as an ion, because ions can only exist in solution.
Ions can also be gaseous e.g. the chloride ion: Cl- (g) . This is particularly important when you study the topic of ozone and the atmosphere. So you must write the state of the substance all the time, even when writing ions because ions such as Cl- can exist in aqueous solution (such as in salt water), or in gaseous form (such as in our atmosphere).

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by wogboy

Ions can also be gaseous e.g. the chloride ion: Cl- (g) . This is particularly important when you study the topic of ozone and the atmosphere. So you must write the state of the substance all the time, even when writing ions because ions such as Cl- can exist in aqueous solution (such as in salt water), or in gaseous form (such as in our atmosphere).
really? how come it never says that in the text books, maybe i haven't read it thoroughly enough. but i think its pretty safe to assume that a substance is aqueous when its written as an ion; from what i seen most of the books don't bother with naming the state of the ions.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
really? how come it never says that in the text books, maybe i haven't read it thoroughly enough. but i think its pretty safe to assume that a substance is aqueous when its written as an ion; from what i seen most of the books don't bother with naming the state of the ions.

my chem teacher (who has now left these hols):confused: says that all ionic substances are aqueous and if things are in ions, they are aqueous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)