State rank question (1 Viewer)

HSC
Im 1st externally for mathematics extention 1. If i score 70/70 in externals, am i guaranteed a state rank.?

Also, how do internal ranks work if im first? I get the best internal mark from our school right? So basically the difference between me and 2nd internally in the school assessments dont matter? Eg i get an average assessment mark of 100 and 2nd place is 50. In the externals, i get a mark of 99(highest). I get 99 as my internals right? Will it be the same as id i got 51 (and second place is 50) and in the externals i get 99.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Im 1st externally for mathematics extention 1. If i score 70/70 in externals, am i guaranteed a state rank.?
Hypothetically speaking no, since everyone could get 70/70. But in practice this would be very very unlikely to happen.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Also, how do internal ranks work if im first? I get the best internal mark from our school right? So basically the difference between me and 2nd internally in the school assessments dont matter? Eg i get an average assessment mark of 100 and 2nd place is 50. In the externals, i get a mark of 99(highest). I get 99 as my internals right? Will it be the same as id i got 51 (and second place is 50) and in the externals i get 99.
As far as I know, yes, if you're outright first internally, then it doesn't matter what second's internal was compared to yours and yes, you would end up with 99.

Last edited:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

Typically, for extension 1 maths and the easier courses (2U and general), several people achieve the top mark. From what I've heard from teachers who have previously worked as BOS judges, they collect all these 'top mark' papers together and judge who's working out is more elegant/neater/succinct - this is how they separate 1st from 2nd, 2nd from 3rd etc.

So are you guaranteed a state rank for 3U maths? If more than 10 people achieve the top mark, and their working out is better than yours, then no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)