STAT marks needed for pharmacy? (1 Viewer)

Lizcat

HSC
does anyone kno a rough indication of what STAT mark will be needed for pharmacy at USYD??
and does it change according to what ur UAI is like for MED?

if anyone has any idea please reply :D

sladehk

le random
HSC
is stat more important than uai when they ahve all these ppl above hte uai and stat threshold and limited spots for the course?

Lizcat

HSC
i have no idea.. but i think that they SHOULD take the STAT mark into consideration.. coz whats the point in doing it hehe..
so like even if someone did get like 98 but did a bad STAT score then they shouldnt be offered the place i think.
but then again.. for someone to have a UAI of above the UAI cut off for pharm i think that their STAT would be quite high aswell.. coz it was fairly basic english and maths skills.. hmmm

.ben

HSC
uM I heard that even if you get 100uai and don't pass stat, you can't get into pharmacy.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
If it's anything like Med and UMAT, it should be a "scale" sort of system. The higher your UAI, the lower your STAT needs to be and vice versa. Keeping in mind the minimum UAI and STAT needed as well though.

Lizcat

HSC
i talked to some lady at the pharmacy desk at USYD today, and she said as long as ur above 150 ur going to be considered to do pharmacy. and i asked her about how if u get a good STAT mark and an UAI of at the cut off would it be "scaled"
but she said no..

the thing is.. i dont trust her haha she didnt seem like she knew what she was saying.. ohwells. i doubt it.

im stuffed
hah

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Lizcat said:
i talked to some lady at the pharmacy desk at USYD today, and she said as long as ur above 150 ur going to be considered to do pharmacy. and i asked her about how if u get a good STAT mark and an UAI of at the cut off would it be "scaled"
but she said no..
When I said "scale", I don't mean it in the HSC sense where your mark is changed. I meant it in the traditional sense where it's an actual scale.

REMEMBER, I don't actually know how the Pharmacy admission works. I'm just suggesting that it may be similar to the Medicine admission system which is like what I've descibed. The only difference is that instead of STAT, med has the UMAT.

Lizcat

HSC
yee i kno what u mean.. i was trying to get at ur point but i suck at explaining..
something like the MED thing where a person who had a 95UAI needed an extremely good UMAT score.. while a person who got 100 wouldnt have needed such a high score to be considered..

the thing is.. the lady said it was nothing like that.. aslong as u get over 150 for STAT (or whatever the STAT cutoff is for this yr) ur considered for entry into pharm and thats it, depends on ur UAI

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Lizcat said:
yee i kno what u mean.. i was trying to get at ur point but i suck at explaining..
something like the MED thing where a person who had a 95UAI needed an extremely good UMAT score.. while a person who got 100 wouldnt have needed such a high score to be considered..

the thing is.. the lady said it was nothing like that.. aslong as u get over 150 for STAT (or whatever the STAT cutoff is for this yr) ur considered for entry into pharm and thats it, depends on ur UAI
So basically the requirements for Pharmacy at USyd is a STAT of 151 or above and a UAI of approximately 95.95?

Just a question, when was the closing date for STAT registration this year?

Last edited:

jennkei

Lurking Rambler
HSC
Heyla Lizcat, I think I went to the same thing you went to. :D But didn't the Associate Dean say the same thing..? XD Well she basically said -- As long as your STAT is 150 or above (As in, >=150), your UAI will be considered. No one cares if you got 180 for your STAT. Your UAI will still be considered regularly. So it seems like a "first door" thing.

I'm actually pretty disappointed..though I wasn't sure what I'd expected of Info Day. -sighs- Didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Didn't talk to anyone I could know. Maybe I look unapproachable. -wilts- Ah well. Should be better at Orientation. :)

In terms of STAT, it seems there's still one last test session at Sydney Boys' High. Registration closes on the 11th Jan. Results for this one might not be considered in Main or Late Round, though. Only Final, it seems.

Last edited:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
jennkei said:
Heyla Lizcat, I think I went to the same thing you went to. :D But didn't the Associate Dean say the same thing..? XD Well she basically said -- As long as your STAT is 150 or above (As in, >=150), your UAI will be considered. No one cares if you got 180 for your STAT. Your UAI will still be considered regularly. So it seems like a "first door" thing.

I'm actually pretty disappointed..though I wasn't sure what I'd expected of Info Day. -sighs- Didn't learn anything I didn't already know. Didn't talk to anyone I could know. Maybe I look unapproachable. -wilts- Ah well. Should be better at Orientation. :)

In terms of STAT, it seems there's still one last test session at Sydney Boys' High. Registration closes on the 11th Jan. Results for this one might not be considered in Main or Late Round, though. Only Final, it seems.
Is your avatar Light from Death Note? If it is then you have great taste, it's one of the best shows ever. :D

hopeless idiot

HSC
if it's true that any stat mark above 150 is considered equally, then the cutoff must be super high since my friend got 155 for stat and 97.65 uai but still didn't get the offer. i know it's different for international students but still....that's a bit high, isn't it? :confused:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
STAT , for entry into pharmacy in 2007 was :
For Main Round Offers : 2nd December 2006

That's all I can remember from memory , if you want more info you should just check out the UAC website xP , much better.

Btw , Hopeless_Idiot , I like your UAI =D looks so ... dang I wish I could get that high hahahas.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
How did everyone find the STAT? Was it difficult, relatively easy or somewhere in between?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeh, 151 is first-door thing, and then your UAI determines whether you get a CSP place, DFEE, rural CSP, rural DFEE, etc. I got a STAT of 167 and a UAI of 96.95, which are not particularly high for pharmers, and I got a first round offer. So just make sure your STAT is >151. And yes, there are about 60% chicks there.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
lala2 said:
Yeh, 151 is first-door thing, and then your UAI determines whether you get a CSP place, DFEE, rural CSP, rural DFEE, etc. I got a STAT of 167 and a UAI of 96.95, which are not particularly high for pharmers, and I got a first round offer. So just make sure your STAT is >151. And yes, there are about 60% chicks there.
I guess you're doing pharmacy?

Do you mind if I ask what your thoughts and opinions of pharmacy are?

The reason I ask this is because I'm very conflicted as to whether pharmacy is right for me. I know it's still a long way away for me to be thinking about this but I'm very interested to hear from a person who is actually doing the degree. :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Aha, I'm not sure if I'm the best person to ask because I'm still doing the degree for my interest in the relevant subjects (biology, chemistry, biochemistry) but wanted a degree that would be useful to me upon graduation if I did decide to utilise that degree in my future career (hence pharmacy > medical science). But I will try my best:

- A lot of work and/or cramming (depending on how organised you are)
- A lot of stress as a result
- You actually learn chemical concepts and interesting biological stuff for once, but of course that makes it harder to grasp because it's real learning, not rote learning
- Several times I've thought of dropping and people have also wondered whether it's the right course for them--it is a lot of work after all!

Um, the timetabling varies a bit from semester to semester--I had 2 3-hour breaks two days in semester 1, 2006 so of course that meant I was spending more than 30 hours at uni a week. As opposed to last semester, when I had some Fridays off (not every week, but I got in at least 3-4 Fridays off for the whole 13 week semester).

Generally the subjects are split so that everyone is good at something --I was the biology/psychology group as opposed to the majority chemistry/mathematics group, and in both semesters 1 and 2 (year 1, that is), you get to visit a community pharmacy and make notes. You also have the opportunity to interview someone with a chronic illness and then write up a report on the psychology of illness (quoting your interviewee as an example)--haha, can you tell I absolutely love this? :D

Then there's the standard human biology :) (preceded by an utterly gay biology course, no matter whether you do the "Beginners" or "Continuers" course, in semester 1), chemistry, statistics (first semester only--utterly hated it) and pharmaceutical calculations. So there's a bit of something for everyone there--hopefully I've answered your question?

Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)