Starting yr.11 business studies any advice??? (1 Viewer)

ange123321

HSC
hi guys.. im starting yr.11 this yr and am doing business studies just wanting any advice that you could give me.. you know the type of things you wish you knew before you started .. etc etc ...

Thanks ange xox

HSC
N/A
I agree 100% with Without Wings. Also, with "examples", its a good idea to read the paper every day if you can. BRW and FinReview is also great for case studies. By the time year twelve comes around you'll also benefits from getting up-to-date statistics. You'll need these for business essays and sometimes reports.
It's also crucial that your business reports follow a specific format. Your teacher should teach you this. If not, then this is a very quick summary (top of my head):

1. Attention: ... e.g. business owner
2. Executive summary
3. Situational analysis
4. SWOT
5. Answer the questions asked in question according to syllabus. Usually have syllabus headings as sub-headings in your report. The first part of the question (describe/outline) should only take a third of the report and the second part (evaluate/assess/critically analyse) two thirds.
6. Recommendations/conclusion.

Good luck! It's not a very difficult subject but takes a lot of memorising.

Undertoad

HSC
The format that I was taught of a business report is slightly different from The_Apprentice, so I would reccommend following what your teacher says so that you don't have problems with them complaining about the format in school assessments. Otherwise, just pay attention, summarise the textbook cover to cover and good luck!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As WW says, use the syllabus. In a subject such as Business studies treat it like the bible. When revising for exams, go through the syllabus and see if you know the content behind each dot point. If you do, then you'll know you are sufficently prepared.

Also, most people use it to structure their study notes, as it provides the definitive record of what you need to know. I would recommend that rather than basing notes of the headings in your textbooks, as such texts usually include information you dont need to know.

A copy of the syllabus can be obtained from http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/businessstudies_syl.pdf

For the prelim course the relevant section is 8 "Business Studies Preliminary Course"

ange123321

HSC
wow great advice guys thanks :) im printing off the preliminary section of the syllabus now... im going to arrange my notes according the the syllabus 2 thanks you!!!

misspeta

HSC
listen!! because i thought i was dropping it all year then i changed my career choice and realised it was my most important subject!

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
know your whole textbook. No joke. Start early. Use Your syllabus and know your whole textbook. When it comes to HSC exams you gotta know absolutely anything. They can ask you anything!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Tommy_69 said:
know your whole textbook. No joke. Start early. Use Your syllabus and know your whole textbook. When it comes to HSC exams you gotta know absolutely anything. They can ask you anything!
lol i summorized the whole longman business prelim textbook in yr11. 52 page, but hey it was worth it. started studying it in week 3 of term3? ill post them up once i can find em ..

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol. i find that MEMORISING is useless. as you are just regurgitating the textbook in the exam. not only would u need to UNDERSTAND the textbook and the concepts in which lie in the great book of business studies; but also you need to read case studies in which you can relate to answers in the exams.

you see; i got full marks for my yearly exam in the short-questions as i referred back to the case studies and i understood the concepts. however; i didn't get full marks in the report writing as i need to develop my report writing better; especially under pressure.

i posted an example of an assignment i did in prelim (report of making my own imaginary business) which i got 35/35 for.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
shinji said:
lol. i find that MEMORISING is useless. as you are just regurgitating the textbook in the exam. not only would u need to UNDERSTAND the textbook and the concepts in which lie in the great book of business studies; but also you need to read case studies in which you can relate to answers in the exams.

you see; i got full marks for my yearly exam in the short-questions as i referred back to the case studies and i understood the concepts. however; i didn't get full marks in the report writing as i need to develop my report writing better; especially under pressure.

i posted an example of an assignment i did in prelim (report of making my own imaginary business) which i got 35/35 for.
yeah that is so true. business studies exams are not theory based, there more practical. for eg they are not just going to ask you something like "what marketing is". they might give you a scenario in a box in which they ask you how can the business improve their marketing approach.

When i did my prelim business exam i got the biggest shock as the structure of the questions were so foreign to me. i nearly started crying after i walked out of the exam and yes im serious lol. i ended up getting near to 80% which i was so happy about as i thought i failed badly. i think the teacher might have marked me easy tho .. a suggestion is get your a hands on leading edge business studies workbook. this book will give you a feel of what questions are like and what to expect.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
yeah that is so true. business studies exams are not theory based, there more practical. for eg they are not just going to ask you something like "what marketing is". they might give you a scenario in a box in which they ask you how can the business improve their marketing approach.

When i did my prelim business exam i got the biggest shock as the structure of the questions were so foreign to me. i nearly started crying after i walked out of the exam and yes im serious lol. i ended up getting near to 80% which i was so happy about as i thought i failed badly. i think the teacher might have marked me easy tho .. a suggestion is get your a hands on leading edge business studies workbook. this book will give you a feel of what questions are like and what to expect.
haha yeah.

or just reading them online :p

i thought my exam was relatively easy .. but i only got around 80% ... haha

leaderofrouge

HSC
unless you started anew- i.e. you didn't studying commerce in yr 9 & 10. that would be a bit work for ya. But you study commerce in yr 9 & 10 then you should be just fine for the early stage of the course; studying is inevitable.

Also business studies like what hopeles5ly and Without_wings say this course isn't theory based and it's more practical and relating to scenarios, which means you should try and relate coursework to real life situation. This makes the subject quite easy to study for example, you don't really need to try to force all the definitions and terms into your head. Say everyday at your dinner time, turn on the TV and watch the news and most often you can somehow or rather relate your course to it. If you could do that, then that basically means you are able to study this subject every night and you would be successful (er... should be)

P.S. Business Studies is alot like subjects like english and other subjects where you could rumble abit(since text books does it too) in exams and tests if you don't the stuff too particularly well. I am absoultely hopeless when it comes to studying methods or strategies, but i manage almost a constant score of around 75% (it's band 3 not that great i know... and i m sure you can do better) using my "gibberishing" technique.

The bottom line is; as long as you are talking on the correct topic being assessed on and it's clear in the way you are saying it. Even if you don't will specific/correct terminology, you will still be given marks even if full.

Last bit of advice, you don't need to flower the language like you are required in some other subjects, make your answers as straightforward and clear as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I didn't do commerce and I am doing fine in Business Studies, so if you didn't do commerce, choosing business studies is also all right.

Just know the terms from syllabus, understand the terms inside out and try write a business report (look at topic about this here) about a company of your choice using those terms. You can learn this from your case study. Memorising is not necessary, but understanding of the concept and where to apply it are important. So, good luck if you do business studies...:)

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
XcarvengerX said:
I didn't do commerce and I did fine in Business Studies, so if you didn't do commerce, choosing business studies is also all right.

Just know the terms from syllabus, understand the terms inside out and try write a business report (look at topic about this here) about a company of your choice using those terms. You can learn this from your case study. Memorising is not necessary, but understanding of the concept and where to apply it are important. So, good luck if you do business studies...:)
i didn't do commerce either and im doing fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)