Starting at Q8? (1 Viewer)

N

ND

Is anyone gonna start at Q8 and work backwards? I find that this works better for me, i can always think more clearly at the beginning of the exam. The only problem is if i run out of time and miss easy marks in Q1... I'd kill myself if that happened.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Keep an eye on the time... if you find it slipping away, stop and begin again at the front.

Saul

*ss
HSC
i'd think it'd be far better to start from question 1. question 8's can often lead you in circles that waste your time... wouldn't it be better to get the easy marks out of the way straight off?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
How many of those HSC booklets they give you?
You have to start each question in a new booklet ?
Coz, i feel ill use like 10+ booklets :p

schooly

i prefer to start at 8, like ND said ur brain is fresh at the start. if its taking too much time i run to the start. and yes they are easy marks so it shouldnt take long to get them done fast when u see u need to hurry. well that how i do i anyway and i found it was quite good in my trials.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
on the otherhand, when u r rushing to finish on time, u r far more condusive to make stupid mistakes in the first few qs than rushing to save time... i think.....

but i would rahter get as many mark as possible first before worrying about the last few question, i mean each section is worth the same anyway =15 marks....

then again, every1's different, it migth suit some ppl, but im not taht 1337 yet , and it will be really demoralising if i spend >40min in couldnt get something out in q8 right at teh beginning :)

N

ND

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
on the otherhand, when u r rushing to finish on time, u r far more condusive to make stupid mistakes in the first few qs than rushing to save time... i think.....
Yeh but that works conversely too, you can think about hard questions much more clearly when you're not rushing to finish. I'd rather be rushing through stuff that i can do without thinking than stuff that takes alot of thought.

i'd think it'd be far better to start from question 1. question 8's can often lead you in circles that waste your time... wouldn't it be better to get the easy marks out of the way straight off?
Yeh but you get the Q8's quicker when you've got a fresh mind (well i do anyway).

Keep an eye on the time... if you find it slipping away, stop and begin again at the front.
Thanks for the tip.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
A lot of people start either from the front or from the back. I'll take a different approach and do question 4b, then 5a, then 4a...

kidding, no way I'm gonna try something new in the HSC when i've been doing so many normal-order exam...

I'm not gonna do q8 first, even if riemann hypothesis is there. The marker will win the clay mathematics institute million dollar if he saw my solution, and all I get is a puny 8 marks or something. I'll save it until i get some credence by getting my degree in agriculture first. :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
*predicts drbuchanan's reply: "start by attempting to prove the reimens hypothesis, even though it might there might not b such a question in the exam* :D

turtle_2468

HSC
backwards?? But then you're assuming you'll finish the whole paper...
OK. Given you are certain you'll finish the paper, maybe starting with Q8 is a good strategy. But then starting from the start lets you warm up and build confidence, so to speak... and it's just as easy to make mistakes in later q's, I reckon the only reason less occur is because your mind is primed for doing calculations quickly and accurately by the time you get there... anyway, my 2.2 cents.

is a roflcopter
HSC
depends on the question 8
some years the answer just shouts out to you
and then you get those bloody geometry ones.... =/

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Is anyone gonna start at Q8 and work backwards? I find that this works better for me, i can always think more clearly at the beginning of the exam. The only problem is if i run out of time and miss easy marks in Q1... I'd kill myself if that happened.

lol, that is the worst idea possible!!!! (unless your really good at maths)

you ALWAYS start with the easy questions to build confidence.

Besides there could be a tough q4-5

N

ND

Originally posted by turtle_2468
backwards?? But then you're assuming you'll finish the whole paper...
OK. Given you are certain you'll finish the paper, maybe starting with Q8 is a good strategy. But then starting from the start lets you warm up and build confidence, so to speak... and it's just as easy to make mistakes in later q's, I reckon the only reason less occur is because your mind is primed for doing calculations quickly and accurately by the time you get there... anyway, my 2.2 cents.
Nah i won't finish the paper, but i know what i can and can't do, and when i see something i know i can't do, i move on straight away. For example, if there's a geom q. after 6, i'll always only spend like 30secs looking at the last part of it, then i move on. And if it's probability (that doesn't ask you to "show" something) in 7 or 8 i don't even look at it.

N

ND

Originally posted by jm1234567890
lol, that is the worst idea possible!!!! (unless your really good at maths)

you ALWAYS start with the easy questions to build confidence.

Besides there could be a tough q4-5
If there's something hard in 4-5, it'll be easier having done 8/7/6 already.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
starting from question 8 is sorta ridiculous...i mean even old man advised against doin' that...but then again, do what u feel comfortable with. :)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
If you are in turtle's league (and maybe ND - we'll have to wait and see!), and finish in 2hrs anyway, then it would probably be good.
If you arent, then i think its possibly throwing away easy q1/2/3 marks...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Just do what you've always been doin', I say. As a side note, I usually begin anywhere except the first couple of questions of a Mathematics paper. And it works alright.

N

ND

Originally posted by Fosweb
If you are in turtle's league (and maybe ND - we'll have to wait and see!)
Hahahahahah, sorry, but i'm nowhere near these people. :p

MyLuv

Originally posted by ND
Nah i won't finish the paper, but i know what i can and can't do, and when i see something i know i can't do, i move on straight away. For example, if there's a geom q. after 6, i'll always only spend like 30secs looking at the last part of it, then i move on. And if it's probability (that doesn't ask you to "show" something) in 7 or 8 i don't even look at it.
My problem is I couldnt remember what I have done:D So I probably forget to do some thing.Do everything from 1->8 is the way for me:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)