Starting a major work (1 Viewer)

CecilyMare

HSC
how do you start one? i have had a blank document open for a week and a half since holidays started.

is anyone else intending to finish their first draft before the start of hols, or have already finished their first draft? please help :drink:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
my idea just kinda popped into my head. what medium are you planning to do?

smik11

HSC
i dont even have an idea yet... i dont think this subject is for me... too many choices so i feel lost.. i need to be restricted...
people are planning to write a WHOLE 6000 word draft before february? oh my...

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
i dont even have an idea yet... i dont think this subject is for me... too many choices so i feel lost.. i need to be restricted...
people are planning to write a WHOLE 6000 word draft before february? oh my...
Don't worry, everyone feels like that; I certainly did. It's the same with every creative subject; having limitless boundaries in something like this is often more of a curse than a blessing. Well, until you commit to something. You need to put the restrictions on yourself.

As for starting, well, it's the hardest part! Do you have a plot outline structure type thing? So you know where you're headed? Try to read some interesting beginnings of stories and see what grabs you. Drop your audience into a conversation, into some action, so you can propel yourself into the story straight away. What is going to be happening in the story? Do you have an interesting character you could describe? A setting? I 'tricked' my audience into thinking that they were in a particular setting, then revealed that they were somewhere else. (it had a particular symbolism to my story, hah, I just couldn't be bothered to explain.) But yah, it's the most important part of your story so try to make it interesting and clever, and relevant to your story, but if you can't think of anything at the moment, don't worry.

Just write, and know that you can always come back and change the beginning. Some people say that you can start to write say, the middle or the ending first, or a particular scene, but personally I don't like that; I think it would lose some of the connectedness/cohesiveness that a MW should have. For me, anyway.

So basically, I'd plan your plot structure and start! Don't worry if it's shit, no one has to read it! (Yet!)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
how do you start one? i have had a blank document open for a week and a half since holidays started.

is anyone else intending to finish their first draft before the start of hols, or have already finished their first draft? please help :drink:
Might I suggest avoiding a short story (and poetry), unless you're exceptionally good at composing an interesting story and intriguing character(s).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)