Starcraft 2, 3 Products (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Apparently, Starcraft 2 is going to be split into 3 products.

First main product --> Terran saga
and then the Zerg + Protoss are coming as expansion packs in the future.

Word on the street, is that at the current rate, it would take 2 years to complete SC2, so why not just release Terran saga off first. Would also allow more space for the CG/effects for each episode.

I'm kinda annoyed though. I'm not realy motivaated enough to buy all 3.. but I guess that would be dependant on how epic the first saga is.

Your thoughts on it?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
rip off

its the new way of milking more cash out of the consumer

Zingy

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
rip off

Yeah, like those fuckers need any more cash, $20 a month for wow or some shit?

Aznmichael92

HSC
well think about it, it is sorta like war craft III. Its two seperate sets. Pitty it is taking so long to release. Hope they release like 1 every year.

seakebab

HSC
I believe making the game this way is quite good.

Works out so I probably won't play it that much during my HSC year.

It'll be expensive but I have faith in Blizzard that it'll be epic.

Zingy, have you ever played MMOs? It is $20 for a month, it's not easy maintaing MMO servers that hosts the game for so many people, it'll definately cost a lot and the game provides players with loads of entertainment.

Blizzard probably decided to release the game like this because people have been waiting for the game for a very long time and want it out so they can gain feedback from the first release. With the feedback, make the other two awesome. :)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
yip, as long as they release in regular intervals and don't make us wait too long then i'm not too upset about it. sc's storyline is great and all but i don't want to wait 3 years to complete it. knowing blizzard, though...

X

xeuyrawp

darkwolfzx said:
It's actually called a 'trilogy'. I reckon if you wiki it, you'll find some interesting things have been released as trilogies in the past...

There are various reasons why they've done this - all of them understandable.
The main thing is that multiplayer (which is the biggest drawcard for any Blizzard game) will be up and running from the release of the first game. Everyone should stop the QQ.

HalcyonSky

HSC
considering most stores have the pre-release date at around december / early 2009, i doubt it will take 2 years for the first release

Did anyone watch blizzcon 2008 on main event? i think im more excited about d3 tbh

mattchis

HSC
thats a load of crap, its nothing like wc3 for the poster above. . .

and yeah, it is just blizzard wanting more money (because they can make much more from mmo's...why do you think they keep bringing out new expansions to wow?)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
mattchis said:
thats a load of crap, its nothing like wc3 for the poster above. . .

and yeah, it is just blizzard wanting more money (because they can make much more from mmo's...why do you think they keep bringing out new expansions to wow?)
because it's by far the most popular mmo in the history of forever and players all over the world would want nothing better? and this will be the SECOND one they will be releasing in the space of what, four and a half years?

Last edited:

mattchis

HSC
Wow
Burning crusades
witch king one?

any others that im missing? i dont play wow

anyway, its like 20$ a month to play...240$ a year
6 mil + players?
1440000000$ a year PLUS the cost of the game
does the servers really cost that much to keep up? youll come back and say "they have to pay admins and game developers"
call of duty 2 has had how many updates? its free to play online . . .

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
call of duty is not a massive online experience, it's a fps. so you play peer to peer. do you even know what the difference is?

mattchis

HSC
was using cod as an example in terms of its development. . .
i would seriously doubt it costs blizzard $1440000000 a year to keep the wow servers running

Aznmichael92

HSC
i doubt so as well but i dont think they were expecting that many players so they tried to make profits. Now they have enough but still want the profit and so wont reduce price. Businesses think only about profits, well most of them do.

seakebab

HSC
Everybody listen to Aznmichael, he states that businesses want to make profits.

That should end the WoW subscription debate. Even though the servers shouldn't cost THAAAAT much to maintain, it'll still cut their intake by a significant amount, there are over 100 WoW realms. They also need the money for more R&D to create more products and also the wages they must pay their staff. Businesses need to make profits, that's why they're called a business.

SC2 Trilogy will be great. :hammer:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
mattchis said:
anyway, its like 20$ a month to play...240$ a year
6 mil + players?
1440000000$ a year PLUS the cost of the game
does the servers really cost that much to keep up? youll come back and say "they have to pay admins and game developers"
call of duty 2 has had how many updates? its free to play online . . .
Just don't buy their products if you hate it so much?

It's not a charity. They have a moral duty to their shareholders to generate as much capital as possible.

mattchis

HSC
Just don't buy their products if you hate it so much?
I dont, why pay for a subscription to a game that isnt even the best game out? better ones dont ask people to pay . . . . oh well, if you wanna play wow, fine waste your lives
atleast sc2 wont be P2P

seakebab

HSC
mattchis said:
I dont, why pay for a subscription to a game that isnt even the best game out? better ones dont ask people to pay . . . . oh well, if you wanna play wow, fine waste your lives
atleast sc2 wont be P2P
All I have to say is, do your research before you post something. Idiot.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
mattchis said:
atleast sc2 wont be P2P
I don't play wow. I simply don't see why you're complaining about their price structure. Just buy one of their competitors products?

HalcyonSky

HSC
mattchis said:
atleast sc2 wont be P2P
uh, i cant think of one decent MMORPG which isnt pay-per-month. It costs alot of money to maintain servers and to constantly release patches which fix bugs / make balance changes / add additional content. Of course they're going to make a profit from the subscriptions, but there is alot of people and work involved in keeping a company's MMORPG competitive against its rivals.

you're talking about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)