Standardised National Test For Yr 12 Students. (1 Viewer)

_Kyz

HSC
On the ninemsn site today they have a poll asking "Should there be a standardised national test for yr 12 students." Just wondering what everything thinks of this?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
ahahaha..i just created that thread..godamn..

edit: yes..and a standardised syllabus

Last edited:

QuaCk

Would that mean that everyone would have to learn the same subjects?

magician

HSC
QuaCk said:
Would that mean that everyone would have to learn the same subjects?
I doubt they would because some people are naturally more humanitarian inclined and some more mathematically/scientifically inclined. Personally, I'm much stronger at humanitarian subjects!!! Although, I'm now finished the HSC so it no longer affects me!!! :p

Like I said on another thread, they should DEFINITELY try and make it a little less stressful! I found Year 12 really stressful :)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
magician said:
I doubt they would because some people are naturally more humanitarian inclined and some more mathematically/scientifically inclined. Personally, I'm much stronger at humanitarian subjects!!! Although, I'm now finished the HSC so it no longer affects me!!! :p

Like I said on another thread, they should DEFINITELY try and make it a little less stressful! I found Year 12 really stressful :)
they wouldn't give every student the same subjects..it'd be just like it is now for NSW..students choose five/six subjects from a wide range of subjects..

Gemstone

How do you know that it's going to be based on the NSW system, there different in each state. Not all of which let you just pick your 5 best subjects and English. I don't think it's a particularly good idea but it depends how they're going to work. Plus they said on the news the reason for it was because they reckon the HSC is too easy. Which it's not. Anyway I suppose it doesn't much matter to me anymore.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
totally..I am it should be something in which u can easily compare not only to the rest of Australia but the rest of the world. The HSC blows.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I'd say the HSC is easy for lower-middle ability students, as their marks often get aligned to a large degree e.g. you could get 20% in an exam and it will be reported as 50 because "you met the minimum standards of the course".
It's difficult for top students because of the competition at the top, but nonetheless, the marks still appear inflated.

Imo, it'd be too difficult to implement an Australia-wide syllabus/exam:
1. It'd take years to gradually change course content from K-12.
2. It's not that easy for each of the states to come to a consensus on what should and shouldn't be included for each subject.
3. It would require a new universities admission method.
4. There are little things that make sitting a nation-wide exam difficult e.g. Perth is a few hours behind Sydney - they could easily get the exam questions before the exam unless everyone sits the exam at exactly the same time

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
The UAI and TER , is the national standardiser.

As far as I am concerned the education minister can put this idea , where sun dont shine.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I don't think its the best of ideas, simply because we have a much smaller subject range than VIC so what would happen, do they get fewer subjects, or do we get more. Also look at QLD, they don't even sit end of year exams like we do! It'll be too difficult, and I think a bit stupid.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Will: Actually, QLD has done research into their method of testing and the research clearly stated that a new method was required. The fact that this federal proposal for an ACE (Aus Certificate of Education) coincides with HSC rumours of change and the QLD government taking into consideration new methods of testing is more than coincidence.

Nationalised HSC AND a less dumbed down HSC which doesn't sacrifice technical accuracy for political correctness garbage.

Oh, wait... isn't that what the IB is? Durrrh.

Seriously though, if they imitated the IB, I'd be all for it. I can only picturing those idiots (not all of BoS, just certain people) dumbing it down even more though, to cater for the kids doing physics who don't know what x means when it is used as a number.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
it would be heaps fairer.. from what i hear from friends in queensland.. it's much easier to get into some of the uni courses >_<"

national hsc all the way >:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
boasboy said:
it would be heaps fairer.. from what i hear from friends in queensland.. it's much easier to get into some of the uni courses >_<"

national hsc all the way >:
But the reason why the Education Minister wants to implement the nation-wide syllabus and reform it is because he believes the HSC is too easy in the first place...

G

go_elizabeth

i think it is screwy cos they r saying it is too easy? what the hell? what do they know??? like, nothing

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
They know a fair bit. They have access to the trends in subject marks and subject populations, among other things.

The disturbing trends are that people appear to be getting dumber. They do worse each year and take less advanced subjects each year. Australia's scientific profficiency has dropped 26% in the last 10 years or so. And you'd be a fool to think literacy is getting any better. Oh, and what about how boys perform compared to girls? Well, we don't know anymore, because those stats are no longer available to the public, since boys were getting their arses kicked, they removed them.

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
go_elizabeth said:
i think it is screwy cos they r saying it is too easy? what the hell? what do they know??? like, nothing
Maybe we should make all the ministers ( espicially the Education minister) and John Howard resit the HSC. See how they do with out studing or with very little studing seen as they think it is easy. I say at least half of them would get into the lower bands.

ace

is retired
HSC
Slide Rule said:
And you'd be a fool to think literacy is getting any better.
Nowadays, reciting the alphabet means passing the English course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)