Standard English Vs Advanced English (1 Viewer)

mattplaysguitar

HSC
I just checked my results on SAM and by using the exact same marks it basicaly says that i would have got a higher UAI if i had done standard rather than advanced. Is this a problem with SAM or is the system f@#ked? My results where:
Advanced eng:80
Maths:95
Ext 1 Maths:47
Engineering:93
Physics:91
Chemistry:81
Now if i put those into SAM i get these 4 UAIs starting at 04
98.90 average:97.15
Now if i change advanced english to standard english i get these results
98.30 average:96.60

Now something seems wrong to me here. I also know that it is not harder to get an 80 in standard (even tohugh i know u cant get over 90) than advanced because a freind of mine who does standard got 80 and i am certain that i am better at english than her (its her second language also) so it does not seem to make sence to me??? Should i have really done standard??

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
bit strange since they scale the same. maybe its taking into consideration thats it harder to get a band 5 than it is in advance so they scaled you up. no idea.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You haven't considered other factors such as interest in particular texts. Your friend may have liked the texts and knew them well enough to score a mark beyond your advanced equivalent.
In theory, it should be A BIT harder to get higher HSC marks in Standard than in Advanced. Either way, they should be equal. The same scaled mark equates to lower HSC mark in Standard than in Advanced. In other words, a mark of 80 in standard is higher ranked than a mark of 80 in advanced.
Basically, it's a case of choosing the right course. If she's crap at english and chose standard, then it would benefit her in terms of scaling.
If one is crap at english and chose advanced then it may not benefit at all in terms of scaling.

HSC
i hope thats not the case. i had to do hamlet (so fucked), where i could do those piss easy standard subjects and get a higher uai?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Theres a common misconception when people say Standard and Advanced English scale the same. A lot of people tend to interpret it as the process of aligning raw marks to HSC marks as the 'scaling' process. This is incorrect. The aligning process is separate for Standard and Advanced english.

When they say Standard and Advanced English both have the same scaling it is referring to the hidden process that the UAC does. 2 identical HSC marks of say for example 80/100 for Advanced and Standard English does not necessarily equate to the same raw HSC mark.

In the calculation of the UAI, scaled HSC marks are used, not HSC marks (the marks you saw today).

So the reason why Standard might give a higher uai is best demonstrated with an example.

Lets say hypothetically, a student A scores:

Raw mark of 70/120 for Standard English. Lets pretend this raw mark aligns to 85/100

Lets say hypothetically student B scores:

Raw mark of 65/120. Lets pretend this raw mark aligns to 85/100 as well.

As you can see, both students have the same aligned mark. But their raw marks are different. And it is these raw marks that are used in calculation of the UAI. And this is why they don't give the same UAI.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Ragerunner said:
Theres a common misconception when people say Standard and Advanced English scale the same. A lot of people tend to interpret it as the process of aligning raw marks to HSC marks as the 'scaling' process. This is incorrect. The aligning process is separate for Standard and Advanced english.

When they say Standard and Advanced English both have the same scaling it is referring to the hidden process that the UAC does. 2 identical HSC marks of say for example 80/100 for Advanced and Standard English does not necessarily equate to the same raw HSC mark.

In the calculation of the UAI, scaled HSC marks are used, not HSC marks (the marks you saw today).

So the reason why Standard might give a higher uai is best demonstrated with an example.

Lets say hypothetically, a student A scores:

Raw mark of 70/120 for Standard English. Lets pretend this raw mark aligns to 85/100

Lets say hypothetically student B scores:

Raw mark of 65/120. Lets pretend this raw mark aligns to 85/100 as well.

As you can see, both students have the same aligned mark. But their raw marks are different. And it is these raw marks that are used in calculation of the UAI. And this is why they don't give the same UAI.
is the raw mark for ur hsc exam or ur assessments? i am confused ><

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The raw mark is the average of your HSC exam mark and assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)