• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Stand By Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

maybelle6

HSC
Hi people, i was wondering if anyone has used Stand By Me the movie as a related text for the journey topic for standard english...
Ive already posted sumthing on this but got no replies.. I am in serious need of help with this text as i have few notes... THANKS GUYS !!!!

maybelle6

HSC
hey dude, thanks for the reply.. Do you have any notes you would be willing to send me on the text please???

gracie007

HSC
hey i used stand by me last year for hsc journeys...the only reason i used it was because i am in love with that movie, its the best..and because id seen it soo many times i knew it off by heart and knew so many quotes, so that was one less thing i had to study for if i used it in hte exam.
therefore, i dont have any notes i dont think. what was it u needed help with? are u doing standard or advanced?

maybelle6

HSC
gracie007 said:
hey i used stand by me last year for hsc journeys...the only reason i used it was because i am in love with that movie, its the best..and because id seen it soo many times i knew it off by heart and knew so many quotes, so that was one less thing i had to study for if i used it in hte exam.
therefore, i dont have any notes i dont think. what was it u needed help with? are u doing standard or advanced?
Hey thanks heaps for the reply..
Im in standard, i pretty much just need to get a grasp of how in ties together with the immigrant poems.. and i need a specific scene but im not sure which one to use.. Wat are the main points n quotes u think i should use???

emma15677

HSC
there's the use of narrator voice over when he compares his experiences to how he feels at present when comparing them to the past. also the use of symbolism - train tracks = new journey. various scenes include facing the thugs, jumpong off the bridge to avoid being hit by a train and not claiming the dead body show various concepts such as new experiences and growing and maturing within the friednship of the boys.

ellen.louise

HSC
We did it in class for change in year 11...

I don't know what happened to my notes though.

from what I remember there was:

themes of life and death (the body they go to find, the attitudes towards death, the protagonist's dead brother)

rites of passage: the boys were always scared of the teenagers but near to the end the protagonist stands up to them: this is symbolic of him becoming a man.

the train tracks as a metaphor for journey: especially diverging from the train tracks and entering the forest to take a 'short cut'

Personal voice

Cyclic structure to do with theme of life and death: the 'kid' is now an adult. I can't remember if with kids of his own?

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
Aww why couldn't I have read this thread earlier, just used it as a related text in my trials yesterday

Briq.

HSC
Wait, so we CAN use this for inner journey, right? I've been tossing up between a few movies, but all my sups. are pretty weak at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)