• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Spyware Removers (1 Viewer)

raging_squid

HSC
Wat do you think about them? If you use one which remover do you use? I tryed using Bazooka adware and spyware scanner but found it a pain to manually remove each one my self. So now i am going to try Ad-aware and see how that goes.

fatmuscle

HSC
note that spybot does not remove 'everything'

when's the latest spybot update anyway?!

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Adaware, Spybot but u people are missing the key one

hijack this 1.98

that's like the essential spy removing tool. like when you get one of those annoying c:\search.html pages that wont leave your computer u delete it using hijack this and while your registry is stable for a few moments run a sys restore and it's gone.

mojako

HSC
use ad-aware!
coupled with spywareblaster which prevents many ad/spyware from entering your computer (like the Immunize feature in Spybot).
its true that spybot hasn't had updates for a long time :p
ive heard of hijackthis but never used it... anyway i went to download.com and got this [its review], FYI:

>> If spyware is hiding out in your computer, but your adware-removal program can't track it down, you need HijackThis. The tiny program examines vulnerable or suspect parts of your system, such as browser helper objects and certain types of registry keys. Pressing the Scan button generates a log of dozens of items, most of which are just customizations, such as Google Toolbar. To learn more about an entry you don't recognize, you have a few options. Clicking Info on selected item tells you why the entry was flagged as suspicious, but not whether it's actually malware. To find that out, you'll need to search the Web for that item's name or go straight to a forum such as SpywareInfo or Computer Cops. Saving the log creates a text document you can post to these forums. The program installs into whatever directory in which you unzip the file, which can make it hard to locate. Don't check off an item and hit the Fix checked button unless you're sure it's malware, though--you can do damage. HijackThis is a serious tool for any user who needs to root out a serious infestation, but wield it with caution. <<

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I use hijackthis and spybot, they're both extremly good, i mite try ad aware...www.spywareinfo.com helps with all this stuff

Last edited:

mojako

HSC
EDIT and NOTE: this particular post is on antivirus and not on spyware remover.. just be aware of that... they're different ^^

mm in this great opportunity i'd also like to offer kaspersky antivirus as an effective virus and trojan detector!!
the current version of version 5.x is quite user-friendly although on my system (maybe not on yours...) it doesn't seem to scan the second-logged-in user if two users are "logged in" at the same time (you switch user in XP without logging off first)
version 4.x is less intuitive but doesn't have that bug.

Last edited:

raging_squid

HSC
Yeh i might try hijack this as well, i use ad aware quite good but it didnt find a heap of spyware and adware that another program i try call xoftspy found the only problem with this program is that if you want to remove the spy and ad ware then you have to purchase the program. I use avg anti-virus software its quite good and is updated frequently.

mojako

HSC
EDIT and NOTE: this particular post is on antivirus and not on spyware remover.. just be aware of that... they're different ^^

avg doesnt detect less-common viruses and detects very few trojans.. if u want free and small av program, i recommend antivir, www.free-av.com. it also uses much less HD space.
the only 2 things i hate about it are:
1. the update download is quite large.. every week maybe two there is engine update which is >1 MB I think... or around 1MB... im not using that av anymore and i forget
2. it doesnt use the same name as other av vendors, especially on those less-common viruses. and the site doesnt have virus description the way mcafee, norton and other big vendors do.. so its hard to check what kind virus it is exactly...

hmm.. the less-common viruses i mentioned were like trojans bundled in some programs...
for example, the kazaa lite in http://kazaalite.tv/ contains trojan. it's not detected by AVG but is by antivir. but, antivir doesnt detect all of the trojans in it :( and the infected file keeps recreating itself every reboot. i used kaspersky and it's gone.
EDIT: the domain kazaalite.tv has been removed now, apparently

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
adaware and spybot, thanks to you people. spybot doesn't pick up enough stuff. adaware is great.

Auto Wah

iambored said:
adaware and spybot, thanks to you people. spybot doesn't pick up enough stuff. adaware is great.
yeah adware is great, you can even upgrade from the server. If you have the full version which i do. and it's free.

raging_squid

HSC
I was using ad aware then i came across xoftspy, which picked up 29 different spy/ad wares that ad aware pickup, although you pay to pay if you want them automatically removed. I am going to try AntiVir to she how it goes

mojako

HSC
raging_squid said:
I was using ad aware then i came across xoftspy, which picked up 29 different spy/ad wares that ad aware pickup, although you pay to pay if you want them automatically removed. I am going to try AntiVir to she how it goes
umm antivir is an antivirus not an ad/spyware remover...
sorry if that confused u

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Spybot updates!

Spybot Search and Destroy has been updated, but because you're still probly using version 1.2, updates will not appear (i had this problem before).

go back to the site and download version 1.3, and there will be updates + program enhancements. :)

fatmuscle

HSC
in order, i use:
Spybot, then Ad-Aware. (CWSHredded for those annoying coolwebsearch hijackers) and then HiJackThis.

Note, only use HiJackThis if u know how to use it and you know what you're looking for.
You do have to check some system files in order to remove some clever hijackers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)