Sports Media (1 Viewer)

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
I'm looking at doing it. I stuffed up my preferences though and got main round offer at ACU for Bachelor of Education, so I deferred that and am hoping for this in Early Feb. Round :)

And am now doing it..just deferred my offer last night :)
My friend got in too

Last edited:

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
Lucky for you I got bored and decided to come on here for pretty much the first time since my post above.

I am currently doing the degree. It's pretty good, I like it. It's basically a journalism degree for 75% of the semester (3 out of your 4 units), and your 4th unit is some sort of Sports Studies unit, to get the sports input in.

If you're just someone who wants to get paid to watch footy, or something like that, the first year might be a bit irritating, since you gotta do two units of media production, that seem to have no relevance whatsoever, but I do know for a fact that some journos nowadays (usually in rural areas) have to edit their stories themselves, so it is worth it.

Looking forward to possibly seeing you next year!

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Thanks for the reply. Is that media production the sounds and video editing kind of thing? That is one of the things im most looking forward to actually. Im trying to get on the course outline on the Uni website now but its not letting me. Was there a unit where you got to do photography or is it more just with video camera or am i just getting completely confused?

What is the workload like? Is it a 5 day - 6 hours per day or what? Im moving down from Wollongong so if i get in i have to get a job down there and was wondering how often you actually have to be there.

Thanks

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
Yeah that's the stuff. It isn't too bad. It seems not relevant, but like I said before, it actually is.
First semester, for the media production, its very basic. Mostly photo editing, taking a few pictures for an assessment, and very, very basic use of Final Cut Pro.
Second semester, it's all about editing the video, shooting, soundtrack, etc.

Workload isn't too much, this semester, my class time is only 12 hours. That's not including time I spend on assignments. IF you can get youth allowance, and a small casual job on top... might be worthwhile. That's something I should've done this year... I've only got Youth Allowance, but it gets me by.

Lectures are set in stone, but not compulsory.. at least in the first year. But your tutes.. you pick your time out of the different classes, so it is quite flexible.

There's actually a guy in one of my tutes doing the same degree, and he comes down from Wollongong like... monday-wednesday to go to all the lectures, and set his tutes up for that time period lol

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Sounds good, im probably most looking forward to the editing side of it from what ive read about it. Thats good, only 12 hours, at least it gives you more time to work. Dont think im eligible for any government money though so i'll have to work for all my money unfortunately.

Have you done any work experience yet or is that later on and how many do you have in your class? Sorry for all the questions ...

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
There isn;t too much of the editing side in the first year. I know that 2nd/3rd year, you start to more film your own stuff, edit that.. but I'm not 100% sure on how that works.. I'm only first year myself.

It's still worth checking if you're eligible for Youth Allowance though. Free $500 a fortnight, and you can still earn up to $250 a fortnight, or something.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ya_independent.htm

Work experience is third year, and... in my class? Well.. depends on the class. It's around 20 or so... maximum

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Oh ok. Yeah, i rang up centerlink a little while ago about youth allowance or even relocation but they said i cant get anything because my parents earn over $108,000 or whatever the cut off is ... even though i wouldnt be living them. Doesnt make any sense but once i finish my exams ill try again. Would make alot of difference.

Think the only way i could get anything was if i got married, which i dont really plan on doing in the next 3-4 months haha

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
I was going to say, you could always try Austudy, there's no eligibilty tests... but then I just remembered, there is just one rule.. you have to be over 25. I doubt you are :p

But yeah.. I see what you mean. That just means Centrelink is expecting your parents to pay for you. You should tell your parents to do what their government expects ahah.. like that will work :p

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Yeah, i dont think i would pass as a 25 year old unfortunately. Have you always lived in Canberra or did you move from NSW? Im still on my L's (after almost 2 years - only done 78 hours) and i read something today that said that if you have held your learners outside of the ACT for more then 6 months, you can go for a driving test straight away pretty much. Ill ring up tomorrow and find out more but do you know anything about that?

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
I moved from NSW.

Lol, don't worry.. I know exactly how you feel. I didn't get my P's til March the year after I finished Year 12 (almost 3 years :\ ... I blame my mother for losing my log book halfway through it.. then we found it)

I', not exactly sure, this is all I could find
http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licenceprovisional.htm
http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licencemoveact.htm

I haven't swapped my licence over yet. I don't have a car here, and.. well.. didn't really need one. But, I suppose if you're gonna try and get a job, unless it's in Belco Mall... it's best to get your licence/a car

EDIT: Which now.. I'm actually quite intrigued at doing this... If I 'trade in' my NSW P plates, for ACT ones.. I can get my full licence in a year and a half.. and I think I can drive a manual.. and I'll have no curfew! :p ... plus, it's all free!

Last edited:

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Haha yeah, very annoying. I just found a website thats says as long as you have held your L's in another state for 6 months you can go for your P's in Canberra. From what ive seen, the rules seem to be alot more lenient in Canberra compared to here. Thanks

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
Yeah that's basically what I understood from it

No problemo though, glad to be of help

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Hey. Long time, no chat.

Im trying to sort out my timetable for this semester and had a couple of questions and hoping you could help. From what i have been told, lectures usually finish 10 minutes early so you have time to get to your next class, while tutorials finish on time. Is this correct?

Im trying to condense my classes into smallest possible time. If it is possible to do (will be harder at the start obviously because i will still be learning where everything is) i have it set at the moment:

Wednesday 9:30-10:30 Tutorial
Wednesday 10:30-11:30 Lecture
Wednesday 11:30-12:30 Tutorial

and then have both of the computer lab sessions on the Tuesday 9:00-10:30 followed by 12:00-1:30.

Would be good if i could get 3/5 classes out of the way in just 3 hours but seems to good to be true. Do you think this is unrealistic and i should just have an hours break between the 9:30-10:30 and 10:30-11:30 to be sure?

Hope i haven't confused the hell out of you.

Thanks,
Nathan

Skriker

HSC
Hey. Long time, no chat.

Im trying to sort out my timetable for this semester and had a couple of questions and hoping you could help. From what i have been told, lectures usually finish 10 minutes early so you have time to get to your next class, while tutorials finish on time. Is this correct?

Im trying to condense my classes into smallest possible time. If it is possible to do (will be harder at the start obviously because i will still be learning where everything is) i have it set at the moment:

Wednesday 9:30-10:30 Tutorial
Wednesday 10:30-11:30 Lecture
Wednesday 11:30-12:30 Tutorial

and then have both of the computer lab sessions on the Tuesday 9:00-10:30 followed by 12:00-1:30.

Would be good if i could get 3/5 classes out of the way in just 3 hours but seems to good to be true. Do you think this is unrealistic and i should just have an hours break between the 9:30-10:30 and 10:30-11:30 to be sure?

Hope i haven't confused the hell out of you.

Thanks,
Nathan
Yeah weird your times are like mine I pretty much have a lecture straight after my tute haha, when selecting the times do most people get there preffered preference?? and what are the best times too choose? like, the morning or afternoon times?

Ohyea just wondering Where abouts are you staying Nathan?

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
It doesn't have to be that way, that was just the way i planned it out. I have since changed. I think for the first semester i will just space them out more over the two days then be rushed getting to my next class. I have it now

Tuesday 10:30-12:00
Tuesday 2:30-4:00

Wednesday 10:30-11:30 (Lecture) - I spoke to someone at the uni who said that lectures finish 10 minutes early so should have enough time to get to the 11:30
Wednesday 11:30-12:30
Wednesday 2:30-3:30

I only have 6 hours of classes a week. I didn't know it was going to be so little. Had i have known i would have stayed living in Wollongong and just gone down on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Suppose i don't know about other semesters though.

I would also like to know about preferences. I have set all my first preferences out hoping i get them all. If i get 4 first preferences and then 1 on a Friday, it stuffs up everything with coming home haha. Do you know when our timetables get confirmed?

Im staying in Scullin so not on campus. Your staying on campus aren't you?

Skriker

HSC
It doesn't have to be that way, that was just the way i planned it out. I have since changed. I think for the first semester i will just space them out more over the two days then be rushed getting to my next class. I have it now

Tuesday 10:30-12:00
Tuesday 2:30-4:00

Wednesday 10:30-11:30 (Lecture) - I spoke to someone at the uni who said that lectures finish 10 minutes early so should have enough time to get to the 11:30
Wednesday 11:30-12:30
Wednesday 2:30-3:30

I only have 6 hours of classes a week. I didn't know it was going to be so little. Had i have known i would have stayed living in Wollongong and just gone down on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Suppose i don't know about other semesters though.

I would also like to know about preferences. I have set all my first preferences out hoping i get them all. If i get 4 first preferences and then 1 on a Friday, it stuffs up everything with coming home haha. Do you know when our timetables get confirmed?

Im staying in Scullin so not on campus. Your staying on campus aren't you?

Oh ok, yeah I was also quite suprised at how many hours we will be spending at uni, its like half a school day almost haha,

Mines
Monday 1:30-3:30
tuesday11:30-12:30
wednesday 8:30-9:30 it was the only time for wednesday sad face :( haha
thursday pretty much lectures from 9:30-3:30 fuck my life haha

When are most of your lecture? Are they packed into one day like mine?

Well hopefully it is first come first serve because people may not even have there offers, yet we have already chosen our courses :D, I was reading on UC stalkerspace FB and they said that timetables come out in O-week or a week earlier.

Ohh, ok, so do you know anyone there? Might be a little bit easier for you too settle in then, yeah staying at Arscott house, I met to a girl in Canada who went to Canberra uni(small world I know lol) who i met and apparently thursday nights are the fun nights since its like cheap spirits thursdays at the lighty!

Fusilli_Jerry

HSC
Yeah, the amount of time is so small. I always thought uni was like school just with the odd day off or something. I only have one lecture a week (Only run twice a week so don't have much option), Wednesday 10:30-11:30, 2 tutorials (later ones on wednesday) then 2 "Computer Labs" which i am unsure if thats like a tutorial or lecture so I'm pretty happy i could fit it in 2 days without staying past 4pm.

Yours sounds pretty good up until Thursday haha.

Yeah I'm hoping thats the way it works. I should have done it ages ago but didn't really know what to do so was going to leave it till orientation week. Luckily i didn't and got in before main offers.

Yeah one of my dads relatives lives there which is good. Only issue is getting bus to uni but if its only twice a week its fine haha. Oh yeah, read there are a heap of international students that go there. Hope theres some Americans to haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)