Spirited away as a related text for discovery (1 Viewer)

beeang

HSC
N/A
Alright so I haven't started Year 12 yet but I've been researching some possible related texts.

From what I have found it seems that there's been a number of people who wanted to use Spirited Away for previous AOS (Journey especially) so does anyone know if it would be suitable for Discovery, or if animated films are okay/worth to use as related texts in general?

Also, my prescribed text is Away by Michael Gow, if that helps.

Thanks! :D

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
It would definitely be a great text to use if you do your research and learn the academic significance of the text.

I've heard of schools teaching the text as early as Year 8 so I don't see why it wouldn't be considered an academic text even if it is animated by any reason.

Away explores escape which seems to fit really nicely, I would definitely suggest giving it a go!

HoldingOn

HSC
It would definitely be a great text to use if you do your research and learn the academic significance of the text.

I've heard of schools teaching the text as early as Year 8 so I don't see why it wouldn't be considered an academic text even if it is animated by any reason.

Away explores escape which seems to fit really nicely, I would definitely suggest giving it a go!
Yeah we watched it in year 7 haha

Haramsnackpack

HSC
^Because of what other users mentioned above (Spirited Away is often studied in Year 7/8) I suggest you should avoid it, as it reflects the expected level of a student studying that text (you would be surprised at some of the age expectations NESA holds for texts- e.g. Lord of the Flies is recommended for Year 10 students). But do try another Studio Ghibli film as they are pretty complex and have mature ideas in them.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
^Because of what other users mentioned above (Spirited Away is often studied in Year 7/8) I suggest you should avoid it, as it reflects the expected level of a student studying that text (you would be surprised at some of the age expectations NESA holds for texts- e.g. Lord of the Flies is recommended for Year 10 students). But do try another Studio Ghibli film as they are pretty complex and have mature ideas in them.
I think the argument would be that Year 7/8's would be studying it on a different level... not that it isn't a worthy text. It would be obvious to state that if you rely solely on a Year 7/8 interpretation of the text you wouldn't go far. It could still be an option if you're able to extend your research.

A really good workaround for this would be to apply your knowledge as a Year 12 student to the text, I've seen picture books broken apart in more detail than classics like Jane Eyre, it boils down to your understanding of the thematic concerns of the text.

P.S. I'm a Ghibli fan so I actually smile a little inside when I hear someone interested in using the text :D

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Spirited Away was previously a Japanese extension text, if that is a reflection of difficulty, so highly suitable for the HSC.

The problem is not so whether the text is simple or not, but how well you handle the text, in terms of techniques and effects.

For instance one of the key things I noticed when watching Spirited Away was the soundtrack, that very much evoke feelings of homesickness, and a desire to go home.

Spirited Away personally I think makes a great text for something like Journeys, but Discovery can be squeezed into something like that. Just pick the techniques that bring out the particular themes related to self-discovery or escape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)