Spirited Away and Labyrinth (1 Viewer)

lmorris

they see me rollin'.
HSC
Ok, so I have my first assesment task on my Area of Study coming up, and these texts, Spirited Away and Labyrinth, both seem to be popular in imaginative journeys.

What exactly defines them as imaginative journeys and not physical ones? Is it how they're supposed to be blatant fantasy, or it actually the process of the journey- starting in one place and ending in a different one, instead of disappearing off to somewhere for a while and being changed mentally? And I mean, a lot of physical journeys come back to where they began. (bear with me here, I've only just gotten into this unit)

I really want to use either as I have to do a film as a related text, and both ones really interest me, but does anyone know if I'll be crucified by the marker if I use either of these?

clarisse.d

HSC
I'm guessing Labyrinth with David Bowie in it? I don't suppose you'll be marked down if you talk about either as an imaginative journey, although if the question asks for you to talk about the physical then, yeah, you'll prob get marked down cos you're analysing the imaginative? I'm not quite sure what you mean or what I'm saying. But both texts can be interpreted as physical or inner or imaginative.

One of the assumptions of journey is "it's the journey that matters, not the destination" so instead of using the words 'inner' and 'imaginative', you have to subtly say that the character is changed because of the obstacles they faced on their physical journey..

anywho, goodluck, i'm writing my scaffold essay at the moment. haven't got any supplementary texts yet :S

clarisse

lmorris

they see me rollin'.
HSC
My focus is physical journeys. The assessment task revolves around questions based on obstacles in physical journeys.

To answer this in a way that is appropriate to physical journeys, for example, could I say that in the Labyrinth, Sarah's naïvety leads her into obstacles, but when she matures, she learns to overcome these obstacles. I've got techniques to support that, but I'm confused because, I think the text could be interpreted as an imaginative journey instead of a physical one. I mean, Jim Henson suggested that she may have imagined the whole thing, but the film never really says that (it might imply it but shh) and the journey in the movie is physical, but I'm confused because her coming into maturity defines the outcome of the journey, in that she realises that Jareth is a manifestation of her inability to deal with adult men, and says the words "you have no power over me", destroying him. What I'm trying to say is, if the whole physical journey is actually defined by her mental status, then is the journey physical or imaginative?

Gaaahh, I'm trying not to overthink it and failing...

clarisse.d

HSC
Well, if her physical journey was implied, perhaps the Labyrinth is too confusing to analyse? You don't have to say that it wasn't a full physical journey. They let you analyse two movies for one essay?

lmorris

they see me rollin'.
HSC
Nah, not two movies, I'm just trying to pick one. I think I've settled on Labyrinth. I talked to my english teacher and he said it was a good idea, so I'll pester him with drafts of writing continuously, and everything will be ok!

Now.. for the other related text...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)