SPEECHES trouble (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
Module B/ Speeches Assistance

Does anyone know if we have to know all speeches in depth?

I am also having trouble actually interpreting some speeches like Magaret Atwood's and Cicero's. I can't make head and tail of the gist of some of the speeches.

Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

Fido

technically we have to know all the speeches, because they could ask us a specific one. but i'm not going to learn them all in depth personally, which may be stupid, but there's thirteen days to go :|
i'd say just know about 3 in depth, like IN DEPTH, and know enough on the others to be able to bullshit your way through. they asked us Noel Pearson in the CSSA, and half my year totally freaked out cos they hadn't learnt him, so it pays to at least know SOME on all the speeches

JimMcCool

the thing that scares me the most is the fact that if they do specify - they often only ask you to discuss ONE other text in detail. If you don't know the text they specify - then naturally, you're gonna struggle to write the eight pages (or whetever it is you're aiming for).

Before our CSSA, someone leaked that Pearson would be stipulated. So on the morning of the exam, the teachers changed it to Denise Levertov.

Needless to say, we were all both pissed and screwed.

R

randhi

well i'm studying all, like Fido, i've written all my notes except for Pearson which i was hoping i wouldn't have to do but know that it was in the CSSA....maybe i might have to just to be safe. Our trial had no specifics, luckily...none of us actually have studied all the speeches.

Abtari

HSC
Why leave Pearson out? Is it the hardest of them all or just becoz you were lazy??

They all look hard to me, the language is so hard to interpret.

R

randhi

Lazy, also pearson seems a little up himself and the speech it self is boring. They aren't that bad, i think the hardest for me, when finding techniques would be Aung sang su Kyi, oh!! Goldman and Atwood were just horrific when it comes to writing notes, and Cicero is just long...i could go on.

Abtari

HSC
I heard Atwood, CIcero and Pearson were the most challenging ones, too.

I've seen this 'context, purpose, audience' thing about a hundred times. WHat do we mean by purpose of the text? WHat about audience?? Is it referring to audience then or now?

Oh, and do we need to talk about techniques for every speech? If so what techniques?? rhetorical techniques or style??

R

randhi

Purpose as in what was the purpose of the orator in delivering their speech. So you can say that socrates wanted to wake the people to the corruption of Athens which has led to wrong doing, and then he goes and uses his situation as an example of it. okay these are my notes on Marthin Luther King, hopefully it'll help, when talking about audience u have to talk about both today and then. like Luther raises the idea od equality and this issues still resonates in today's society.

Martin Luther King – “I have a dream”

When: shadow of “symbolic figure”- Lincoln memorial, August 28th 1963
Purpose: being forth to the nation the importance of peacefully solving the U.S racial problem. This is apparent from the opening paragraph. The metaphor of “beacon” used to emphasis the cleansing of the mistreatment of African Americans after the Emancipation proclamation.

Why is resonates, techniques:
- Anaphor “one hundred years later”, repetition of “still” applied to reinforce that even after the proclamation racial injustice is still occurring. Notion of racial segregation is accentuation through the demeaning connotation of categorizing the African American as a species “the Negro”.
- “Riches of freedom” metaphor for the day when racial equality is not a dream but a reality.
- Anaphora “I have a dream…” enforces and encourages the African Americans to dream of the day when they will accepted, be racially equal but they must not give up.
- Taken from the constitution written by Thomas Jefferson. Unity becomes thematic, “We hold these truths to be self evident; that all men equal”, “table of brotherhood”.
- Geographical metaphors “every hill and mountain shall be made low…crooked places will be made straight” it is also an allegory for social classes, a metaphor for social equality.

Abtari

HSC
Wow, thanks for taking time to share that! That was great. I think I am a bit more clear on this now.

R

randhi

lol any time, if u need anything pm me or something i'm happy to help you

rebooki

HSC
N/A
personally i think you should learn speeches like King, Lincoln and something like Socrates cause most of these could at least link with another two. im most scared that they'll nominate ONE speech and only one and expect us to write 8+ pages on it. if its king thats cool cause quotes are easy as but if its Atwood or Pearson... so screwed

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
do you want a medal?

my bad hun, i guess i'm a little envious due to the fact that my assessment on speeches is due in tomorrow and i havent a bloody cle what i doing...

gahhhhhhhh

*pulls all hair out* - hell if britney can do it, so can i dammit!

:mad1:

Youliana

HSC
My Trials Are Next Week.. Im Doomed..

:)
Ashie123 said:
i've learnt ALL 12 speeches in depth
WOW girl, good on you then!! Someone's gonna Ace the HSC! I'll know it's U :)..
MEANWHILE!!........ummm...errr..hhmmm. HELP ME SOMEONE PLZZZ!:burn:
((YEAR 12 speeches for Advanced English))..I can do absolutely anything in English.. coz I love it soo much BUT BUT BUT.. I was never rly political type of person.. now im expected to write pages about Lincoln &... hheee? Keats.. Yea, I tink thats the one... !! :confused:
Someone direct me 2something!! Anyone got any ideas of what im suppose2be doin? Coz I sure dont..any sample essays.. structure.. points..more than the above...I mean it's all good.. but just ANYTHING more...SAVE ME PLZZZZ!! I'm gna be doomed.. n my trials are next week because the catholic education office likes to make us sit them early!!

chaoz..:eek:

falilv

HSC
my teahcer informed our class that the 3 speeches they always seem 2 come up with are MLK i have a dream, Lincoln gettysburg address, and then sometimes they ask 4 an australian one, and i think a good one is paul keating, because it is relatively easy to break down, and it is a modern day text we can generally relate to.....
hope this advice was any good...

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Ashie123 said:
i've learnt ALL 12 speeches in depth :)
Lies............... no sane person would learn all 12 speeches in DEPTH..... and by the way.... only RARELY will they specify to pick certain speakers.... so just pick speakers that talk about a range of topics....
i got Socrates, Cicero, and Mary McAleese....... and if the examiners somehow have a brain explosion and say to pick an Aussie one.... just pick like..... "Funeral of an Unknown Soldier" .... pretty easy one with easy to memorise quotes

jlnWind

HSC
if youre worried about specifics, just know that usually if they do do a specific itll be either australian, or one which has easy to remember quotes, or obvious ones,
like they did abraham lincoln, "government by the people or i duno whatever" thats already a couple techniques u could pull of your ass, like repetition combines with truncated syntax, creating an imperative affect, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)