Special Consideration (1 Viewer)

sleepycat

Can someone explain to me what will usually happens after you apply for Special Consideration for like an accounting subject (e.g. ACCT 2542)??

If the School of Accounting accepts the Special Consideration:
Do you usually have a chance to sit for the supplementary exam if you actually sat for the exam already?? Or do they usually scale up your mark to a Pass??
I heard for the School of Acturial Studies, if you apply for Special Consideration you kinda get 5 marks extra for your final exams.. Whats the deal with the School of Accounting??

How do they consider the Special Consideration applications?
Do they look at your actual final exam mark to decide whether you should be granted the special consideration or not? If u fail badly, then u wont be granted for a special consideration??
Or do they decide upon the seriousiness of your sickness?? If the doctor indicated your sickness is at the moderate level and it would affect your exam performance at the moderate level.. Is there a chance of success for such application??
Or both??

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
I hope that you have applied for it already because you only have three days to do so, after which, all pleads will be ignored.

If the school accepts the request, it will depend on a number of things. If you have done the final exam already and if you passed the final exam, then it is unlikely that you will get a supp, all they will do is not mark your exam as hard. If you failed the final exam, then you might be allowed to take the supp, but the best mark you can get now is a Pass Conceded (PC).
You cannot compared accounting to actuarial. In actuarial they want people to fail, I doubt they will just give marks away as well, most likely just mark the exam not as harsh. All this information can be found on the school's websites.

The special consideration is decided upon your assignments/assessments done throughout the semester (if you passed the assessments), if you have did not attend the final - if assessments are satisfactory then you are allowed to take the supp, but if you took the final already, then it is unlikely you will be allowed to take the supp, unless you fail, in which case the best you can do is a PC.
I don't know about moderate doctor assessment, the people who look at the forms before sending them off to your school will decide. I think they decide on the spot. No one knows if moderate is allowed....

PS: The people who decide whether special considerations are given believes that if you are truely too sick to do the exam, then you should have stayed home. By attending the exam, it means you feel that you could still perform so will be less likely to be as giving.

Last edited:

Shawny

this is how it works

the definitive account

1- attendance/pre exam assesments count for a lot: if ur consistent high/moderate performer and attends regularly, ur chances are boasted.

2- whether u sit for exam or not doesn't matter, if u sit for exam and u pass u wont get a supp simple as tat. If you dont pass and meet other criterias u'll get a supp. Obviously if u ddidn't attend the exam and meet the criteria's u'll get a supp, otherwise ur literally fuked.

3. a commitee makes such a decision, im expecting succh a comittee to include maria, a person from welfare/equity division and some kind of administrative dude to ensure ur aren't a serial offender.

4. whatever mark u get in a supp provided u get one will become ur mark for the final exam. thats the FCE rule.

sleepycat

Shawny said:
this is how it works

4. whatever mark u get in a supp provided u get one will become ur mark for the final exam. thats the FCE rule.
So if i had to do the supp, is my max mark gonna be a PC according to Redslert??

Shawny

redsalert is wrong there

ur supp= finals mark and ur final mark is based on ur finals at the specified portion
60% for 2b

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Shawny said:
redsalert is wrong there

ur supp= finals mark and ur final mark is based on ur finals at the specified portion
60% for 2b
not if she did the final exam, but failed and given the chance to take the supp for a PC

if she did the final and afterwards requested special consideration, then it is unlikely that she will be given another chance to take the supp and to have the previous exam ignore - very unlikely, especially with 'moderate' doctor assessment. Only special consideration given will be less harsh/lenient marking.

Last edited:

E3k0

HSC
N/A
redslert said:
not if she did the final exam, but failed and given the chance to take the supp for a PC

if she did the final and afterwards requested special consideration, then it is unlikely that she will be given another chance to take the supp and to have the previous exam ignore - very unlikely, especially with 'moderate' doctor assessment. Only special consideration given will be less harsh/lenient marking.
know ur facts b4 u talk shit aight

what shawny said is true. if u fail the finals but get a sup, THEY WILL ignore ur finals mark and count ur sup marks only

heh which is why tat kunt ended up beating me in QMB

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
E3k0 said:
know ur facts b4 u talk shit aight

what shawny said is true. if u fail the finals but get a sup, THEY WILL ignore ur finals mark and count ur sup marks only

heh which is why tat kunt ended up beating me in QMB
I know what i'm talking about, thank you...
I'm applying for supp and I've read every single little clause there is.

As stated in the other accounting thread, the lecturer has said that she is not considering moderate assessments!
If she does fail the finals after which special consideration has been applied when marking the final, then the supp given will be for a PC.
The previous assessment maybe "ignored at the discretion of the course authority" but applying this to the situation, as stated in the other accounting thread, the lecturer will not be doing this.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Man, what is it with everyone applying for special consideration?

I was under the impression that special consideration was only for people who felt that their performance in the final exam was severely affected by sickness, or some other event eg. family death etc. I think if you are sick enough, just don't turn up to the exam at all.

It seems like, from what I've read in the other thread, many people are applying or considering applying for a special consideration request even though they weren't affected by any of the above- they just want another chance because they didn't study enough, using the "I felt a little sick during the exam, but didn't realise till I saw the paper was so hard" excuse.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, and definitely not the thread starter, since I do not know the nature of his/her circumstances. And I don't know anything about the school of Actuarial Studies handing out extra 5 marks. Not that it matters, it'd up the markfrom 30% to 35%:D.

And one other warning,

"A student who falsified medical certificates in order to gain special consideration was
excluded for one semester and will not be permitted to graduate for 12 months after
completion of her studies."

sleepycat

Believe me, I DID NOT falsified my medical certificate, if I wasnt sick, why would my GP write me a doc cert?? They have their own professional ethnics... I was sick and my GP believed my health condition was affecting my exam performance... (I guess more explanation would mean more excuses for someone ppl)

But I was scared that if I skipped my exam and apply for Special Consideration afterwards, if NewSouthQ dun accept my application, then my transcript would be SCREWED up totally... Also, I did study everything and know everything b4 I entered that room... (well, dun treat everyone who applied for Special Consideration as some kinda blugger or someone who wants to use some kinda way to pass the course)

Anyway, how do u know whether they are just accepting "severe" cases????

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
aishiteiru: I believe you. I was in no way suggesting that you falsified medical certificates or as such.

I just wanted to mention the fact that it seems that many people are trying to get a supplementary exam to essentially, 'try again', not because they were sick or as such, and the possible consequences, should you be caught doing so.

aishiteiru: just out of interest.. how sick were you? I think in a perfect world, if you were really sick and couldn't attend the exam, you would be able to apply for special consideration and obtain a supplementary exam. It seems that you lack trust in the system to grant you the necessary provisions, which I guess is resonable, given the number of people who are not genuine cases attempting to use the system to pass the course.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
timmy : i think that even if your sick, you should sit the exam. It shows you've made an atempt, and can reflect the level of your disadvantage when they compare it to your previous performance in the course.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Grizzly said:
timmy : i think that even if your sick, you should sit the exam. It shows you've made an atempt, and can reflect the level of your disadvantage when they compare it to your previous performance in the course.
Not according to the numerous times I have heard lecturers telling the class that if you are truely sick you should not attempt the exam. If you did do the exam, then most will automatically assume that you were fit enough and would not give supplementries.

sleepycat

t-i-m-m-y said:
aishiteiru: I believe you. I was in no way suggesting that you falsified medical certificates or as such.

I just wanted to mention the fact that it seems that many people are trying to get a supplementary exam to essentially, 'try again', not because they were sick or as such, and the possible consequences, should you be caught doing so.

aishiteiru: just out of interest.. how sick were you? I think in a perfect world, if you were really sick and couldn't attend the exam, you would be able to apply for special consideration and obtain a supplementary exam. It seems that you lack trust in the system to grant you the necessary provisions, which I guess is resonable, given the number of people who are not genuine cases attempting to use the system to pass the course.
Well, I dunno I just want to do the exam that day and get it over and done with. Also, from what a hear about Special Consideration with 2b isn't that great after all, so I thought my chances of getting the special consideration would be pretty rare due to the large amount of applicants each year. Thats why I thought I mite as well attempt the exam in case they don't approve my special consideration..

Anyway, I have never applied for Special Consideration before & the system seems to be pretty confusing in a sense... do u sit or not sit for the exam if u apply for the special consideration?? if they dun approve ur special consideration and u didn't sit for the exam, ru SCREWED?? I dunno... I thought by doing the exam kinda secure myself in a way from the possibility to fail the course totally if NSWQ dun approve my application... u know what I mean??

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
redslert said:
Not according to the numerous times I have heard lecturers telling the class that if you are truely sick you should not attempt the exam. If you did do the exam, then most will automatically assume that you were fit enough and would not give supplementries.
Yeh i guess.

But just because you sit for the test doesnt mean you were fit enough and were not disadvanted due to illness.

Thats my arguement if i was in such a case.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
What redslert says is true, and in the end it is mostly the lecturer's decision. If you really are sick, you will be bed-ridden, unable to make it to the examination. And Grizzly, what you say is ture, and it is for most, a very gray area.

Personally I'd say, if you are sick, you won't make it to the exam. Otherwise, just be really careful with your health and look after yourself during the examination period, to avoid any of the potential problems with the special consideration & supplementary exam process.

aishiteriu: I see what your saying. The system requires that you must apply for special consideration. If it is granted, you will, under most circumstantces, be allowed to sit the supplementary exam. If you haven't applied for special consideration for ACCT2542 its probably too late to do so. I hate to say, but looking at your posts, and from the limited information I have, I'd just say let it be, and move on. If you fail, you can always do it next year. Either way, in the end it doesn't really matter that much.

otherside

so when do they actually tell you whether ur eligible for special consideration?

also, would they tell you whether you passed/failed the final exam before then? because obviously if u passed you wouldnt need to do a supp exam.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
otherside said:
so when do they actually tell you whether ur eligible for special consideration?
I was told when handing in the form at the desk that if you don't hear from the school within one week, you contact them for details.

also, would they tell you whether you passed/failed the final exam before then? because obviously if u passed you wouldnt need to do a supp exam.
That will depend on the situation.

Shawny

hey dudes keep each other posted on mail from acct dept for 2b

if we dont get shit by 5th december it means we dont have to sit supp
im expecting something by dec 3rd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)