• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Special APEC Laws (relating to police powers) (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
They use tear gas in australia? And also how come every protest ends up violent?
Well considering they gave the army shoot-to-kill powers, have those transportable prisons and bought a big fat water cannon, I very much doubt that they wouldn't have tear gas ready for action.

How come every protest ends up violent? A mixture of passion, desire, and anger at the unreasonable agression shown by police, I'd say.

I said only one war has been stopped, so protesting did work, however only because they could not have won anyway.
Yeah, and I doubt that they would have ended it had public opposition, which included repeated demonstrations, not been so great. Evidence? Well...look at how apathetic everyone seems to be about Iraq.

Firstly thats not what Howard tells me :p Secondly I don't give a crap about global warming. You really think us humans are so great that we can destroy the planet which has been around for millions of years?
No-one but imbeciles believes that global warming is going to kill the planet. What people are concerned with, is the drastic impact that global warming will have on the planet, in regards to us (mostly). The earth will survive, so will humans, but a lot of people, communities, money, animals/plants will die. That's the problem.

Off topic: Why do you have a picture of Sunrise in your sig?
I like sunrise and I find their pictures (particularly Mark Beretta) rather funny.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I guess this is the general APEC thread now (maybe it ought to be made sticky?)

FIREWORKS

smh.com.au said:
The NSW government has discouraged people from heading into Sydney's CBD for a fireworks display to be held during the APEC summit, saying there will be "little to see".

Deputy Premier John Watkins said tonight the fireworks display over Sydney Harbour on September 8 would be small and vantage points would be restricted and without the usual facilities.

"I would discourage families from heading into town or to our foreshores to catch a glimpse of the fireworks or the world leaders watching them," Mr Watkins said.

"There will be little to see and security precautions will be tight.

"The commonwealth has confirmed their display will be only a short, small event for the APEC delegates, similar to those held for private parties and other exclusive events on the harbour."

The display, titled The River of Fire, will be staged after 750 world leaders and other officials from countries which border the Asia-Pacific attend a 45-minute performance inside the Sydney Opera House.

The performance will feature more than 200 young artists, including singer Christine Anu.

The fireworks will be fired from barges on the harbour, with tall ships and yachts to add to the display.
Now they're not even letting us watch our beloved fireworks from afar? Outrageous!

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
I guess this is the general APEC thread now (maybe it ought to be made sticky?)

FIREWORKS

Now they're not even letting us watch our beloved fireworks from afar? Outrageous!
lol, their even going to move animals from Taronga Zoo to Garden Island so that the wives of "APEC leaders" can have a private viewing.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22306104-2,00.html

Jarsh89

HSC
MaNiElla said:
lol, their even going to move animals from Taronga Zoo to Garden Island so that the wives of "APEC leaders" can have a private viewing.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22306104-2,00.html
Hahaha, thats awesome!

And Nebuchanezzar, they aren't not letting you see the fireworks, they are discouraging people to go. You can imagine the security precautions seeing there will be all the high ranking officials here.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
And why should we be discouraged from seeing fireworks in our own city? Who gives a toss who is there, if there is not enough security for these people they should not be here! Australia has a city purpose built for this sort of thing, but of course we want to show off all our wonderful new laws.
I mean, it's not like the people of Sydney said "hey, I know, lets have this massive meeting in town with some of the world's most hated people, who are targets for all sorts of violence and protests, so we can build walls and stop people from coming into the city, and inconvenience the people who have to be there anyway."

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Exactly. It's far too much that will achieve far too little, and the people of Sydney won't stand for it! FIGHT BUSH! RAWR!@

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Josie said:
Australia has a city purpose built for this sort of thing,
If you're referring to Canberra, I believe Canberra doesn't have the hotel space to host all the delegates, staffers, media, etc.
Josie said:
And why should we be discouraged from seeing fireworks in our own city?
Because it's a very brief fireworks display that you'll probably be able to see on TV, and which you can go and see from the north shore or from Pyrmont or wherever if you desperately want to.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Triangulum said:
Because it's a very brief fireworks display that you'll probably be able to see on TV, and which you can go and see from the north shore or from Pyrmont or wherever if you desperately want to.
That isn't the point at all and you know it. The idea of actively discouraging people from something they have the right to do in the hundreds of thousands any other day of the year except this day is the point.

Nebuchanezzar said:
Stuff about fighting bush.
See you there! :p

Jarsh89

HSC
Firstly surely you accept that these confrences have to be held at one place or another, and spreading out where they do so prevents to much inconvinince.
While all this important people come together of course the neccesity for security will be high, therefore for a couple of days it isn't going to be fun for anyone in the city. So the government is just suggesting this so that both the people and police get some relief....

Why be so difficult? The government actively discourages people from smoking even though they have the right, just suck it up and don't be a nuisance for one weekend. Is it that hard?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Jarsh89 said:
Why be so difficult? The government actively discourages people from smoking even though they have the right, just suck it up and don't be a nuisance for one weekend. Is it that hard?
Last time I checked, watching a fireworks display is not proven to be damaging to your health, costing the health system millions of dollars a year. Maybe a couple of burst eardrums? Too much drinking? Possibly. Still, terrible example.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
PRIME Minister John Howard's last pre-election chance to strut the world stage has been dealt another blow by his friends in the White House.
A fortnight after learning US President George W. Bush will leave next week's Sydney APEC summit early, Mr Howard's wife Janette has taken a call from the First Lady offering her apologies.
What a devastating blow!!:mad1:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I honestly don't think that in hand to hand combat I could take Bush. He was in the Texas national guard, he's really good at avoiding combat.
lol. :eek:

That assumes that his 700+ security entourage wouldn't be surrounding you with massive (and what should be illegal) weapons. ;)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I have been building my own tank using a 1987 VL commodore, duct tape and a pressurised hose used to cut roots out of sewerage pipes. If it's a war they want...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Enteebee said:
I have been building my own tank using a 1987 VL commodore, duct tape and a pressurised hose used to cut roots out of sewerage pipes. If it's a war they want...
Make sure you equip it with a perpetual motion engine

veridis

droog
HSC
IC3 said:
do you think during the APEC summit that we'll have snipers up on buildings ready to execute?

LIKE SWAT STYLE?!?!
definitely. anywhere on or inside the fences is shoot-to-kill. so they'd have people looking out for it. more worring is that the redzone can be increased without warning or notification at any time.

but really the main reason APEC pisses me off is that the public holiday is on friday. i already have friday off fuckers, give us a monday public holiday next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)