Spartan society (1 Viewer)

PSsylockE

Bah, posted on hsc help b4, but now its gone so i guess i'll hafta post again..
ok straight to the point..
For the topic SPartan society, what books or sources or whateva should i be reading? (for example, Herodotus? if so which chapters or pages?)

I'll appreciate it if anyone could help out a confused girl :/

Latin_Xtc

you should be reading stuff like Plutarch on Sparta (primary source) and Bury and Meiggs (secondary source)

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Theres a great book called 'From Solon to Socrates' about the greek world, and it has a very lovley section on Sparta. Sorry cant remeber the author. I've basicaaly used that and some of Plutarchs 'Lives' (the bloke shoud have got a life and not writen such boring stories) and the dodgy as all hell text book

PSsylockE

ok thanx for everyones help!

but what about Herodotus, do i have to read him?

sif not 99

go to www.classics.mit.edu for all of ur ancient sources, they have complete online archives of basically everybody thats worth reading from the Greek world through to the Roman.

Great site.

Try reading the plutarch, thats a good place to start and thucydidies can be pretty useful, but if you name drop bury and meiggs, hammond to name a few as well you should be fine, perhaps a bot of kagan as well or thats what I plan on doing.

somrandomperson

HSC
hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me.. in two weeks i have an essay on the spartan economy due, and i was wondering if anyone could suggest any respected sources that i could use, because im completely lost.. anything that will get me info and started would help me soooo much.. thanks

dollabella

HSC
Everything you want - written sources Plutarch, Herodotus, Xenophon and Spartan poets you can find in Brennan, Spartan Society Interpreting the Evidence. It is the best book with pages of archaeological sources. It is the way to a Band Six if ever there was one. Its in libaries but Abbeys Books in York st sell it. Worth getting as the other books are very limited.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
listen to Dolla, I used it for my first assessment and will receive back to day (probably getting >21/25 thanks to it =] )

dollabella

HSC
PSsylockE said:
Bah, posted on hsc help b4, but now its gone so i guess i'll hafta post again..
ok straight to the point..
For the topic SPartan society, what books or sources or whateva should i be reading? (for example, Herodotus? if so which chapters or pages?)

I'll appreciate it if anyone could help out a confused girl :/
See the book by Brennan, Spartan Society Interpreting the Evidence. Has all the key sources and papges of archaeological materal. You dont need anything else as it collects everything in one place

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
dollabella said:
See the book by Brennan, Spartan Society Interpreting the Evidence. Has all the key sources and papges of archaeological materal. You dont need anything else as it collects everything in one place
I wouldn't say that, you still should read more extracts from the famous historians like fitzhardinge, michaels, jones to get more of the picture. But if your struggling for sources and want a quick way out then Brennan is the book you want!

dollabella

HSC
There is a whole chapter on the Spartan economy in the Brennan, Spartan society book. He gives all the views and heaps of really cool stuff that would help you out.

simm!.

HSC
heyy i seriously dont think u need to read herodotus cos it will just waste ur time unless u have tiem in the hols
ur teacher shud have given u some quotes throughout the term that u were doing it so those shoudl be enough.
look through your sheets and book and u will be surprised on how many there is.

oh and if u ur willign to go buy a textbook the maquarie ancient history book is REALLLY GOOOD!!
its set otu heaps well and makesi t easy to understand and it has every topic for the whole year. the excel isnt very good. its got 2 books so yeahh

hope that helps
love simm

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^^
To the above, i disagree, i found reading Plutarch, Herodotus and Thucydides was one of the most helpful aspects of my study.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
-may-cat- said:
^^
To the above, i disagree, i found reading Plutarch, Herodotus and Thucydides was one of the most helpful aspects of my study.
whilst this is great and all, its pretty easy to find people who have completed their HSC and summarised the writings of these historians so you don't really need to read through heaps of books!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)